Anyone have much success with GVT (german volume training)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Anyone have much success with GVT (german volume training)


    That is the 10x10 protocol with 90 second rest intervals. Looking at doing this for squats and it's always good to her of other peoples results with a given program.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by ericos_bob View Post
    That is the 10x10 protocol with 90 second rest intervals. Looking at doing this for squats and it's always good to her of other peoples results with a given program.
    It will make you curl up in a ball on the floor sucking your thumb and you finally get up to take a crap, sitting on the crapper will make cry all over again, assuming you do the GVT right! And you will GROW!
    •   
       


  3. Had great success with it, especially on leg development, when on cycle..... I tried doing a 9 week GVT run not taking anything and the recovery killed me, tired all the time and almost gave up at one point haha either be packing in some serious calories or be running some compound, the intensity is second to none if done right!

  4. Yes a buddy and myself did it at separate times on squats and we both had great results. Be prepared to be mentally tough and eat a lot for recovery!

  5. I believe a recent study showed the results to be a little subpar but many ppl have enjoyed it. I wasn't the largest fan of it myself.

    Just be sure to eat plenty
    Current Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/291581-officially-chasing-abs.html#post5714196
    •   
       


  6. I've run it several times, generally an 8-12 week run every couple years and I would see a nice change in body comp, but it really hurts strength when coming off and moving to another program. Plus, I found it really hard on my joints and I was constantly sore. The pros v cons don't make it worth it for me as there are many ways to improve body comp.

  7. I used it back in the day, built a solid foundation from it and moved on...

  8. Sounds great so far. I've tried a few of the other cookie cutter squat programs in the past such as Smolov and 20 rep squats and made great gains but have adapted so a kick in the ass to get back on the gain train would be nice. I do enjoy the agony when it brings some solid gains. Will definitely give it a try.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck_Sh1thouse View Post
    It will make you curl up in a ball on the floor sucking your thumb and you finally get up to take a crap, sitting on the crapper will make cry all over again, assuming you do the GVT right! And you will GROW!
    Lol will pin this to the wall in front of my power rack for inspiration. Cheers bro!

  10. Quote Originally Posted by ericos_bob View Post
    Lol will pin this to the wall in front of my power rack for inspiration. Cheers bro!
    Lol good luck with it!

  11. Yeah I have but only throw it in every now and then as it gets a little boring, 4 exercises 10 sets of 10.

  12. DC training style for squats is also pretty killer.
    Performax Labs Product Specialist


  13. I'm only doing it for squats training every 5th day at the moment. I reckon 90 seconds rest is insufficient in my case or perhaps I shouldn't factor in unracking. Cannot do more than 7x10 for my 20rm. I'm basically stop watching for a strict 60 seconds between sets to factor in getting under the bar and unracking which would bring the total to under 90 seconds. It's definitely up there with Smolov and the likes of 20 rep squat routines. Regardless I'll be pushing for extra reps each workout until I get to 100 rather than increasing rest time.

    Reason I didn't adopt it for upper body is I already do many times the volume GVT calls for on upper body training so I'd be taking a step backwards applying GVT there. I have considered using GVT as a deload program there though.

  14. Week 1 of GVT I was squatting 135 for 10x10
    Week 8 of GVT I was squatting 245 10x10. Keep in mind I was pretty new to training tho so some of that was newbie gains. Regardless, I loved the results.
    When you are a wolf, all sheep are the same.

  15. Yeah those are great gains. I made similar on smolov also when I was a beginner. Third squat session on GVT. Nothing to report apart from DOMS for 4 days. I have a feeling I won't get too much out of it having run high volume programs in the past. My beginner gains are well behind me. If I can increase my 1rm squat by 10-20lb over the next 8-12 weeks that'd be phenomenal.

  16. Managed 75 rep total in todays workout for squats. Not getting any easier infact first time I've thrown up and passed out in a long time. I love the pump my quads get from the 4th set on. I'm still not sure if I'd see greater benefit by increasing rest periods in the last couple sets and finishing 10x10 or stay strict on the rest periods and just shoot for more reps as I am doing.

  17. GVT is really a great option for those wanted to go light (change of pace) and see strength and growth results. I'm on week 2 of it and I'm doing it 2-3x a week.
    Performax Labs Product Specialist


  18. 4th squat workout. I guess I'm not actually doing 10x10 at all yet.
    gone from 65,70,75,81 reps. Hopefully 90 and finally 100 in 2 workouts or 30 days total. Then will add more weight and go again for a month. I'm definitely adapting to the volume as I'm finding muscle pain more profound in relation to breathing. First 3 workouts I felt like I was gonna die of suffocation. As for GVT in upper body training (pullups, bench, bent rows) I don't find it challenging at all and perhaps somewhat boring.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by ericos_bob View Post
    4th squat workout. I guess I'm not actually doing 10x10 at all yet.
    gone from 65,70,75,81 reps. Hopefully 90 and finally 100 in 2 workouts or 30 days total. Then will add more weight and go again for a month. I'm definitely adapting to the volume as I'm finding muscle pain more profound in relation to breathing. First 3 workouts I felt like I was gonna die of suffocation. As for GVT in upper body training (pullups, bench, bent rows) I don't find it challenging at all and perhaps somewhat boring.
    It can be boring but it should def be challenging. Around set 6-7 you should be somewhat struggling with your final few reps. If you aren't, you need to add weight.
    Performax Labs Product Specialist


  20. Quote Originally Posted by ericos_bob View Post
    Managed 75 rep total in todays workout for squats. Not getting any easier infact first time I've thrown up and passed out in a long time. I love the pump my quads get from the 4th set on. I'm still not sure if I'd see greater benefit by increasing rest periods in the last couple sets and finishing 10x10 or stay strict on the rest periods and just shoot for more reps as I am doing.
    Hey man, just keep at it. GVT squats are brutal. If you can't get 10 sets then lower the weight a little bit. I alternate between GVT and windowmakers for squats. Usually squat 2-3x a week now. Love it.
    Performax Labs Product Specialist


  21. Cheers mate, if I don't get my 10x10 in the next 2 workouts I'll be lowering the weight as you suggest. It's challenging for upper body (I do fall short on reps the last few sets) just not brutal as squats. What are windowmakers btw?

  22. If you're hitting 81 and processing each time, don't drop the weight! Just keep at it! A widowmaker is normally 1 set 20 reps as heavy as you can go, using the rest pause method without racking the weight until you're done ahah brutal yet very effective! If you're legs are shaking and you don't want to throw up when you're done you didn't go heavy enough!

  23. I thought breathing squats (pick a weight you can do for about 10, then do 10, breathe, do another rep, breathe, until you get 20 and/or pass out first) was brutal (but very effective) but 10 x 10 squats with 90 sec rest sound even worse

  24. oh yeah, I call those widowmakers 20 rep squats. Using a weight you can do for only 10 reps and forcing 20. I did that for 2 months before GVT. Was a killer too! Am finding GVT squats more brutal so far. I go to failure, as in I can do 81 reps and no more even if I stand it out. Quads are just completely fried. The last few sets are already very drawn out breathing squats like in widowmakers. I'm very happy with the progress so far seeing a half inch increase on the quads in 20 days as of todays measurements.

  25. Eh, somewhat.

    Windowmakers are (from what I remember when studying DC training) is 20 reps total for 1 working set but reps 1-10 you can't stop/take a breather. Reps 11-20 you can stop at the top of your positive rep and chill for a second.
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 11:36 PM
  2. My experience with german volume training
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 07:07 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 12:45 AM
  4. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 07:04 PM
  5. Anyone have good results with TNE transdermal?
    By BigVrunga in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Log in
Log in