Supplements for running/getting back into it

jbatts77

jbatts77

Awards
So I already use caffeine/ephedrine, is there anything else you all recommend for getting back into running?
I always feel like I'm going to hurt something if I just take off sprinting, like my tendons aren't as stretchy as they were two years ago or something. Or I am going to mess up my joints.

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
OL Sup3r shred will give crazy endurance, PES Genoflex is a great joint support.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Just warm up into your runs. No need to take off sprinting. It'll take a few runs for your body to get back into it, try Ergonine by PESceince. It'll help with the recovery.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
When I was training for endurance, HMB and SNS creatinol o phosphate helped.

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
I've had 4 knee surgeries. Didn't run for 17 years. I started on the treadmill. Walking, then jogging...But mostly walking. Eventually I started increasing the run lengths and decreasing the walks.
Don't about speed or distance at first. Focus on duration. Your joints and tendons will take a little time to get used to the stress. But it won't take long.
I couldn't do a mile in 12 min when I started in November. Now I'm running 2 miles in 14:45 and 5ks under 25 min.

My best advice - Listen to your body. Push through aches, but take a break for sharp pains. Don't give up.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Vast majority of it will be time. Takes time to get back into it...build up slowly. If you run 10 miles this week, next week shoot for 12. Then 15 the week after. Then 18. Et cetera. And don't start your runs sprinting. Build a volume base first, then add speed in later. And make sure you're fueling up with enough carbs.

If your joints are suffering, try a cissus supplement. PEScience GenoFlex is good.

For endurance and performance, OL Sup3r-Shred is a good one (encourages body to burn lipids as fuel and increases endurance), and Robuvit (present in Orig1n) is also worth considering (improved performance in triathletes).

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
So I already use caffeine/ephedrine, is there anything else you all recommend for getting back into running?
I always feel like I'm going to hurt something if I just take off sprinting, like my tendons aren't as stretchy as they were two years ago or something. Or I am going to mess up my joints.
As others have suggested, joint supplements *can* help, but there truly is no magic supp for improving running.
I actually would recommend against E and C if you are interested in getting "back into running".
This presumes that you aren't a regular runner now-and if this is the case, the last thing you want to do is to be pharmacologically increasing your heart rate as you try to improve your aerobic endurance.

jbatts77

jbatts77

Awards
As others have suggested, joint supplements *can* help, but there truly is no magic supp for improving running.
I actually would recommend against E and C if you are interested in getting "back into running".
This presumes that you aren't a regular runner now-and if this is the case, the last thing you want to do is to be pharmacologically increasing your heart rate as you try to improve your aerobic endurance.
?? I ran for years on this stack?

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
If your joints are giving you issues, you could try SNS Joint Support XT. As others have said, if you haven't ran in awhile, you need to train your body up to kind of "earn" the right to sprint and train at your prior capacity. Depending on how old you are and how your body is holding up will determine how quickly you can progress

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How bad is it? Where were you at running, and where are you now? I like how you have kept it simple at this point.
Regarding endurance and recovery I would move with something non-stimmed to compliment what you are already doing.

We have a great BCAA/Carb product that could cover most of your needs.

"TRANSFUSION" $24.95 less 10% using JUST410

transfusion ad.png

Transfusion is a complete amino acid and carbohydrate refueling blend that replenishes these much needed nutrients in your body. Each serving contains a 2:1:1 blend of branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) as well as essential amino acids (EAA) along with simple and complex carbohydrates for quick digestion as well as a timely released digestion.
VeinNutrition

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
?? I ran for years on this stack?
Then roll with it.
My comment was coming from the perspective of a (pretty darn successful) endurance athlete (half marathon to ultra marathon) and coach. Generally running does a pretty good job of raising one's heartrate by itself-no need for drugs that add to that.
If you are just looking to burn fat and can run stimmed without having a heart attack, then more power to you

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
I don't run, due to back issues. But I do know a little about endurance and recovery due to my training style. scherbs, have you ever tried Cordygen? Like I say, I'm no runner, so I can't be sure... But the stuff comes as close to a "magic supplement" for my own endurance with HIIT cardio. So I'd be curious how it treats a runner.

For overall healing and recovery, I'd agree with justhere4comm. Transfusion BCAA/EAA can't hurt. There have been plenty of logs on here for MST's BCAA/EAA RPG (recover. protect. grow.) where it has shown to help with endurance too.

Lastly, I'd echo the recommendations for a joint supplement. Running is really hard on the joints. So why not just be proactive and try and guard from potential injury? Cissus and glucosamine are great, relatively cheap options. MST's Joint Mechanic has done wonders for my wife's knees (running damage).

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't run, due to back issues. But I do know a little about endurance and recovery due to my training style. scherbs, have you ever tried Cordygen? Like I say, I'm no runner, so I can't be sure... But the stuff comes as close to a "magic supplement" for my own endurance with HIIT cardio. So I'd be curious how it treats a runner.

For overall healing and recovery, I'd agree with justhere4comm. Transfusion BCAA/EAA can't hurt. There have been plenty of logs on here for MST's BCAA/EAA RPG (recover. protect. grow.) where it has shown to help with endurance too.

Lastly, I'd echo the recommendations for a joint supplement. Running is really hard on the joints. So why not just be proactive and try and guard from potential injury? Cissus and glucosamine are great, relatively cheap options. MST's Joint Mechanic has done wonders for my wife's knees (running damage).
Agreed 100% also, as long as that Glucosamine is sulfated.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established

Cordyceps does give a marginal benefit, but honestly I haven't found it to be beneficial enough to justify the expense.
I'd rather spend my $ on shoes to run in than on a pill to make running marginally easier

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
Agreed 100% also, as long as that Glucosamine is sulfated.
Joint Mechanic uses NAG, which isn't sulfated. But it does work... Maybe thanks to the blend of other ingredients? Either way, I was pretty impressed at how quickly it took care of the chronic knee and foot problems my wife has...