1,600 Total at 195 using Candito's Routine

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
What is everybody's thoughts on the Candito 6 week training program?

Based on my first couple weeks of the new routine (handling heavier weights), I'm going to shoot for a 1,600 pound raw total at about 195-200 pound bodyweight.

These are the totals I'm looking to achieve in the next 6 months:

Bench:455... I'm certain I can hit 440-445 touch and go right now. With 6 solid months of the new undulating periodization program I'm confident I can add 10 pounds and hit 455. I'm including paused reps. If I decide to enter a meet and make it official I want to be ready for that.

Squat:520... I know my depth is good (I squat high bar below parallel fairly narrow stance). I have to get used to the walk out with heavy weights. Man... I swear the walkout with 455 and up is the hardest part.

Deadlift:625...I can pull more Sumo than conventional, yeah! Right now I'm sitting at about 585 conventional with a stiff bar. I'm not certain where the Sumo is but it feels MUCH easier. I'm excited to see what numbers I get in the next 4-6 weeks. If I hit 600 in 4-5 weeks, I think adding 25 pounds to the bar in the following 5 months is realistic given the new routine.

I have a few videos up on the you tubes (Bench/Deadlift/Squat/Supercharged Corvette):

Search: 350 Bench Press for 9 Reps RAW at 198 pound Body Weight

If anybody uses Candito's program let me know your thoughts. I'm still undecided about what to do for week 6.

A

andrewski48

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am currently using Candito's 6 week program and am on my 3rd run of it I believe. I have modified it slightly to stretch over 8 days vs 7 days as I work 4 on 4 off and it fits my schedule better. I separate one of my upper days into a push/pull upper with chin ups being the lift that I mimic bench on as I am about even in strength in the two lifts. I am not as strong as you are so I cannot attest to how it may work at your strength levels but I do enjoy the program. I have continued to slowly gain strength while slowly losing weight, so I'm sure I would have more luck if I was gaining weight. I have contemplated turning the program into a ten week program by running weeks 1-4 twice and then week 5 at the tail end but have not attempted it yet.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
That's awesome that you've both gained strength and lost weight. At first I through I might gain weight switching from a linear bodybuilding split, but after running the first week I realized I might actually be burning more calories. I'm sweating more and I think it's due to the frequency of compound movements. I'm really enjoying the program and excited to see what numbers I wind up with after a complete run.

Did you make progress on your bench press? Do you stick to the assigned rep ranges or do more if you can? (i.e. if Bench call for three sets of 6 and you find you can do 7 or 8 reps on the third set... do you do 7 or 8 instead?).

A

andrewski48

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The only modification I make to the bench press is on max rep days. On those days if it's weight x max reps I will drop by 5 to 10 pounds and do some triples. Sets depend on how easy the max reps set was. I treat it somewhat like the max reps to ten days of squats.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Sounds good. I'm doing MR for bench today. I'll try out your suggestion. I'm used to hitting 12 sets a week on my previous routine.