6-Weeks Pull Up Challenge

Page 1 of 16 123 ... Last
  1. 6-Weeks Pull Up Challenge


    Alright, so there have been some calls for a new challenge of some sort. I jumped to pull ups right away because it is THE exercise that seems to impress almost everyone. Before I started lifting again, I saw some videos of guys making pull ups look easy and it was inspirational to me and I wanted to get better at pull ups. Now when someone sees me do a pull up, just a single pull up, they almost always comment. But I still suck at them. They are hard and I still have a long long way to go. I've done 13 at my best, but then I got fat again and can do maybe 8-9 now.

    Now, most of the challenges on AM tend to measure what you've already achieved. What you can do TODAY. They measure the work you've already put in. They are challenges that lead to a winner or someone who is "best". These challenges are fun, competitive and great - but I like to have a different angle.

    The idea behind what we do in this game is that we have to make a consistent investment and constantly improve. I like a challenge that embodies these ideas. And I think a 6-week, 2,000 pull-up challenge does that. Yup, the goal is to complete 2,000 pull ups in 6 weeks. Impossible for most of us (or is it?) - but it isn't just about the number. It's about the investment over the next 6 weeks, the improvement, and trying to accomplish something that seems impossible.

    One way to look at this is, 2,000 pull ups in 42 days is about 48 pull ups a day on average. That's a lot of pull ups. That may seem impossible. We are talking EVERY DAY for the next 6 weeks. That means, for most of us, we basically have to commit to doing as many pull ups as we can for the next 6 weeks and do our best to get to the 2,000.

    Does that mean you shouldn't join if you can't do a pull up? NO. Commit. It isn't about the 2000 as much as it is about you getting better at this.

    There is no prize. There are Kudos to the person who can do the 2,000 pull ups, and if multiple people hit it, then the "winner" if we need one, will be the person who hits it in the shortest time frame.

    As I have been kicking this around in my head, I've tried testing this to see how difficult it is and on Monday night I did 45 pull ups (took me 10 sets) and last night I did 28 pull ups (took me 11 sets!) - my total is 73 pull ups and I'm on my 3rd day. Will see how many I can do tonight.

    Some notes:

    1. A pull up is done with an overhand grip. Each rep starts from a hang with arms at or near full extension, and ends with your chin above the bar. No kipping.

    2. You don't have to post a video as there is no prize and no reason for you to lie. If you need approval from us for something you didn't do, you can have it all you want. Great job. You judge if your pull ups had a kick, a jump, a cheat, didn't hit full extension, didn't get above the bar. For most of us, there will be no harder judge than ourselves.

    3. If you want to post any videos, feel free - you just don't have to. Obviously there is no way to post 2,000 reps of pull ups over 6 weeks.

    4. I feel the people who can bang out 50 pull ups in one set will be beneficial to post in this thread. I feel like the people who can't do a single pull up and undertake this challenge anyway will be equally beneficial to this thread. I bet almost everyone who does this challenge will be FAR better at pull ups in 6 weeks than they are today.

    I just grabbed a tag list from a bighulksmash thread (thanks hulk) - but if I left anyone off, or you think anyone else should be in here....please tag away.


    @FireTitan @SFreed @ryane87 @habajaba @justhere4comm @rtmilburn @blueline438 @angcd3 @BEAST73 @mmorso @Cjg @bighulksmash @booneman77 @thebigt @angcd3 @hairygrandpa @rtmilburn @alphagainz @Clean gene @ZOO @jramoska @SFreed @CJNator @wesb2387 @Tank999 @DennisTheDane @Danes @SpicedCider @ryane87 @Juicedeez utz @BEAST73 @Alpha1agreda @LeanEngineer @coltonwalker @Brandinooooo @Sparkss @Studhorse @vujade @Volvo140G @Chuck Diesel @Ag5000 @lifted67 @Cjg @bighulksmash @thebigt @hairygrandpa @rtmilburn @FireTitan @alphagainz @Clean gene @ZOO @jramoska @SFreed @CJNator @HIT4ME @wesb2387 @Gutterpump @Tank999 @DennisTheDane @SpicedCider @ryane87 @Juicedeez utz @BEAST73 @Alpha1agreda @LeanEngineer @coltonwalker @Brandinooooo @Sparkss @Studhorse @blueline438 @vujade @Volvo140G @Ag5000 @lifted67 @Jebrook @halfhuman @ChocolateClen @justhere4comm @matt8483 @ryane87 @nostrum420 @Brandinooooo @thebigt @NewAgeMayan @rtmilburn @hairygrandpa @DUbz86 @sparks2012 @nicksox15 @WAF @BloodManor @Cjg @bighulksmash @booneman77 @thebigt @angcd3 @hairygrandpa @rtmilburn @alphagainz @Clean gene @ZOO @jramoska @SFreed @CJNator @HIT4ME @wesb2387 @Gutterpump @Tank999 @DennisTheDane @Danes @SpicedCider @ryane87 @Juicedeez utz @BEAST73 @Alpha1agreda @LeanEngineer @coltonwalker @Brandinooooo @Sparkss @Studhorse @blueline438 @vujade @Volvo140G @Chuck Diesel @Ag5000 @lifted67 @Cjg @bighulksmash @thebigt @hairygrandpa @smith_69 @rtmilburn @FireTitan @alphagainz @Clean gene @ZOO @jramoska @SFreed @CJNator @wesb2387 @Gutterpump @Tank999 @DennisTheDane @SpicedCider @ryane87 @Juicedeez utz @BEAST73 @Alpha1agreda @LeanEngineer @coltonwalker @Brandinooooo @Sparkss @Studhorse @blueline438 @vujade @Volvo140G @Ag5000 @lifted67 @Jebrook @halfhuman @ChocolateClen @justhere4comm @matt8483 @ryane87 @nostrum420 @Brandinooooo @thebigt @NewAgeMayan @rtmilburn @hairygrandpa @DUbz86 @Kaprice


  2. I'm so in this. So basically each person is doing 2000 pullups over the 6 weeks?
    •   
       


  3. I'm in. Just to see if I can get better at pull-ups, cause I suck at them.
    Twenty-Two Until None
    I Am My Brothers Keeper

  4. I wasn't tagged...but I'm in anyway!

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Brandinooooo View Post
    I'm so in this. So basically each person is doing 2000 pullups over the 6 weeks?
    That's it. 2000 pull ups in 6 weeks. You can use whatever strategy you like. It would be good to check in on a regular basis and say, I did X amount of pull ups on this day, x on this day, x on this day, total = Y. The idea is this is something that will require an investment over time.

    And @hairygrandpa has requested that all grips be counted - pull ups, chin ups and neutral grip. I can agree with this - some people have shoulder issues and if people change grips often as part of their training, I don't wan't to create a barrier that we don't need.

    But I still feel that real men do pull ups and not chin ups.

    Quote Originally Posted by SFreed View Post
    I'm in. Just to see if I can get better at pull-ups, cause I suck at them.
    It wouldn't be the same if you weren't! I am not great at them either. I hope to get better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Angrypolak View Post
    I wasn't tagged...but I'm in anyway!
    Sorry my friend! I just grabbed a generic tag list - you are certainly welcome and I'm glad to have you here. All are welcome!
    •   
       


  6. Subbed, will start today...muhahaha!
    Life is fair it's your expectations that aren't.

  7. I'm in.
    VEIN NUTRITION - PREMIUM BODYBUILDING SUPPLEMENTS
    CLICK ME > VEIN NUTRITION : USE "JUST410" for 10% OFF
    IG: @VeinNutrition

  8. Quote Originally Posted by hairygrandpa View Post
    Subbed, will start today...muhahaha!
    I'm betting HGP will have his in by the end of next week.
    Twenty-Two Until None
    I Am My Brothers Keeper

  9. Quote Originally Posted by SFreed View Post
    I'm betting HGP will have his in by the end of next week.
    I bet he won't.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    That's it. 2000 pull ups in 6 weeks. You can use whatever strategy you like. It would be good to check in on a regular basis and say, I did X amount of pull ups on this day, x on this day, x on this day, total = Y. The idea is this is something that will require an investment over time.

    And @hairygrandpa has requested that all grips be counted - pull ups, chin ups and neutral grip. I can agree with this - some people have shoulder issues and if people change grips often as part of their training, I don't wan't to create a barrier that we don't need.

    But I still feel that real men do pull ups and not chin ups.
    I was gonna bring this up next. As you know, I do have a shoulder issue so chin ups with the V grip (I think is what it is) is the main thing I can do. I can do neutral some and regular pullups when my shoulder isn't acting up. But I prefer the V grip. I can take a pic later so you see what I mean.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Brandinooooo View Post
    I was gonna bring this up next. As you know, I do have a shoulder issue so chin ups with the V grip (I think is what it is) is the main thing I can do. I can do neutral some and regular pullups when my shoulder isn't acting up. But I prefer the V grip. I can take a pic later so you see what I mean.
    That's fine. I know the v grip.

    Sorry your shoulder injury prevents you from doing big boy pull ups. (Just kidding)

  12. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    That's fine. I know the v grip.

    Sorry your shoulder injury prevents you from doing big boy pull ups. (Just kidding)
    Lol up yours bro. But I did the math a second ago. With me doing 6 sessions a week for 6 weeks, I have to do 55 reps each day. I do that on dips but not chin/pull ups lol. Challenge accepted.

    Ill try to update each day with my numbers.
    @FireTitan @lukehayd @ryane87 I challenge you bros. Especially Luke since I didn't get around to ever doing the BPS challenge.

  13. Y'all are ****ing dicks, tagging a cripple with a messed up shoulder in a pull up challenge. Smh....






    Jk luv you all

  14. 2000 in 6 weeks is almost impossible for me, did the math. It's 48 EACH day!
    I now have 5 days off because of the holidays, that's almost 250 pull ups I have to recuperate afterwards.... not gonna happen.
    I'll start today with 60 reps in mind, will finish the challenge in 10 weeks, maybe.
    Life is fair it's your expectations that aren't.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateClen View Post
    Y'all are ****ing dicks, tagging a cripple with a messed up shoulder in a pull up challenge. Smh....






    Jk luv you all
    You know we love you

  16. In for support im in pct so im a bit weak atm

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Brandinooooo View Post
    Lol up yours bro. But I did the math a second ago. With me doing 6 sessions a week for 6 weeks, I have to do 55 reps each day. I do that on dips but not chin/pull ups lol. Challenge accepted.

    Ill try to update each day with my numbers.
    @FireTitan @lukehayd @ryane87 I challenge you bros. Especially Luke since I didn't get around to ever doing the BPS challenge.
    Up mine indeed.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateClen View Post
    Y'all are ****ing dicks, tagging a cripple with a messed up shoulder in a pull up challenge. Smh....






    Jk luv you all
    Oh, were you on the list? My bad. I didn't mean to invite you. Who wants you here?

    What? Did you injure yourself carrying too much rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by hairygrandpa View Post
    2000 in 6 weeks is almost impossible for me, did the math. It's 48 EACH day!
    I now have 5 days off because of the holidays, that's almost 250 pull ups I have to recuperate afterwards.... not gonna happen.
    I'll start today with 60 reps in mind, will finish the challenge in 10 weeks, maybe.
    WTF? You have been in on this challenge for 2 hours and you are ALREADY making excuses? You don't have a bar you can do pull ups on? Go into your basement and co under your stairs and use the top stair as your pull up bar.

    Quote Originally Posted by bighulksmash View Post
    In for support im in pct so im a bit weak atm
    Only one way to get stronger man. It isn't about winning....It is about #winning.

  18. I'm at work now, but after this challenge was issued I walked around looking for a place to do pull ups. Found an area in our outside warehouse that I could reach easily, but it would be a neutral (palms facing each other) grip. Over the course of an hour I got 8/8/6/6/6/5, for a total of 39. I suppose if I can do this a couple times a day I'll stand a chance at finishing in 6 weeks.
    Twenty-Two Until None
    I Am My Brothers Keeper

  19. Oh, and day 3 for me. I got 47 pull ups in 10 sets. Puts my total at 120 in 3 days.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by SFreed View Post
    I'm at work now, but after this challenge was issued I walked around looking for a place to do pull ups. Found an area in our outside warehouse that I could reach easily, but it would be a neutral (palms facing each other) grip. Over the course of an hour I got 8/8/6/6/6/5, for a total of 39. I suppose if I can do this a couple times a day I'll stand a chance at finishing in 6 weeks.
    See @hairygrandpa!!!! This is what I am talking about.

    Either you did 2 sets of 6 or you got 45 not 39.

    Nice showing man.

  21. 75
    Take that, puzzies!
    Life is fair it's your expectations that aren't.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by hairygrandpa View Post
    75
    Take that, puzzies!
    Nice! I was gonna start on mine today but tweaked my elbow a little bit on the preacher bench. So tomorrow it is.

  23. Oh wait, I thought it was 200 in 6 weeks.. or 5 per day. That, I can do.
    VEIN NUTRITION - PREMIUM BODYBUILDING SUPPLEMENTS
    CLICK ME > VEIN NUTRITION : USE "JUST410" for 10% OFF
    IG: @VeinNutrition

  24. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    See @hairygrandpa!!!! This is what I am talking about.

    Either you did 2 sets of 6 or you got 45 not 39.

    Nice showing man.
    You sure about that?
    Twenty-Two Until None
    I Am My Brothers Keeper

  25. Quote Originally Posted by SFreed View Post
    You sure about that?
    here mine: BW 218lbs (!)

    Chin ups x10
    Pull ups x10
    Parallel grip x10
    Chin ups x10
    Pull ups x8 / 7
    Chin ups x10
    parallel grip x5/ 5
    Life is fair it's your expectations that aren't.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 275
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 11:11 AM
  2. Replies: 515
    Last Post: 12-27-2011, 09:31 PM
  3. Good exercise to replace pull-ups?
    By WillB123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 04:01 PM
  4. Lats and wide grip pull-ups (bigger in 4 days?)
    By Jim Mills in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-17-2006, 09:06 AM
  5. Pull Ups or Chins
    By LowKeyLifter in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Log in
Log in