Don't feel normal unless you're weight training

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Anyone have this feeling like they don't feel like themselves unless they are regularly training with heavy weights?

I've been bodybuilding/weight training pretty steadily since I was 17 (34 now) and I've noticed that I don't feel "normal" or good if I'm not doing heavy lifting (squats/bench/deadlifts etc.) regularly.

Anyone else have this experience?

Almost like I've adapted to training so much I need it now to feel normal.

goinHAM211

goinHAM211

Awards
Yes! It's sometimes a problem. My wife says I'm grouchy or get grouchy if I have to miss a training day. Not only that but if I don't get a good workout or for reason have less time than usual to workout then I find myself in a funk thinking about it, how, why, reps, sets, and how to get it back and make it up ether later that day, week or after work. I'm 30 so I have definitely learned the value of consistency and progression in the gym. Anyways I feel ya

jaces

jaces

Awards
Yess and I've been training since 2009 but lately i get these urges to go and do some back or legs or uhg even arms just to get a pump feeling

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
Anyone have this feeling like they don't feel like themselves unless they are regularly training with heavy weights?

I've been bodybuilding/weight training pretty steadily since I was 17 (34 now) and I've noticed that I don't feel "normal" or good if I'm not doing heavy lifting (squats/bench/deadlifts etc.) regularly.

Anyone else have this experience?

Almost like I've adapted to training so much I need it now to feel normal.
With you there for sure! I'm 30 with 3 kids under 4 years old. Getting to the gym is my therapy! If I miss more than a couple I really get in a funk. I come home so happy after the gym!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh sure, it is just part of me to the point it's like getting up and eating. As OP, I started at 17 and am now 42. Activity in general is and I have to break a sweat everyday or I feel unfulfilled at the end of the day. Luckily my family is the same and I trade off with my wife so she can get to her training and gym classes before we get the kids to all their sports, so we all understand the importance to each other.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eh. I only go heavy maybe once a month (5 reps or less). Mainly do prevent injury/stress on my body. We all have our preferences and goals and benching more than the next guy isn't one of my goals.

reprieve

Awards
I have similar experiences after lifting for about 6 years or so. In other perspectives I see how it is a strange compulsion, but the activity becomes an end in itself rather than a means (body comp, weight goals, etc,). Also, read the overtraining article here on AB since there's some interesting points regarding life balance.

SwoldierDave

Awards
It's the iron bug brother. It bites us all, but only some are infected!!!! The guy above me obviously wasn't. Feeling the bar on your back, as you get down in that squat position and explode up! With each rep you feel your quads fill with more and more blood, until you reach that last rep. You take your final breath and think "If I ****ing die I ****ing die!!!" Leave the weed, coke, and pills to the junkies! We live and breathe for the iron!!!!!

elo76

elo76

Awards
  • Established
I'm 40. Been lifting since my teens. It's in my blood. If I don't get done what I want to, I feel like crap and am in a terrible mood. It doesn't have to be heavy every time. I just need to get done what I had planned and I'm ok.

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
Lifting is my remedy, my cure to the problems and issues I face, like struggling to provide to my family. If I dont lift like for 3 consecutive days I am sad, lethargic, slow, unmotivated, need a lot of sleep, tired, miserable. When I get to that room I have made, time stops, all problems disappear and when I am done I feel that I have become a better me and all the others have stayed the same. Hard to explain.

Great great thread. Only those who share this passion can feel you. And in my town are very very few

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not necessarily on the "heavy" part as I adapt training and do a heavy week and a volume week, but I absolutely need my training (and basketball). The endorphin release is the best part of my day and it keeps my energy levels regular and helps me sleep. I can't imagine not training. Been lifting since age 14 (17 years ago) and longest break I ever took was ~3 months in the Summers I still played baseball. Never more than a month since then and that was maybe twice (once for surgery). Frankly, I don't know how people who don't work out do it (unless they work physically demanding jobs).

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
It's the iron bug brother. It bites us all, but only some are infected!!!! The guy above me obviously wasn't. Feeling the bar on your back, as you get down in that squat position and explode up! With each rep you feel your quads fill with more and more blood, until you reach that last rep. You take your final breath and think "If I ****ing die I ****ing die!!!" Leave the weed, coke, and pills to the junkies! We live and breathe for the iron!!!!!
**** yeah. Great to read after squatting on leg day today. :)

My workouts are the best part of my day/week as well.

bobi593

bobi593

Awards
  • Established
felling off when you do not train is absolutly normal.....

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Yes. It seems like any other addiction. And for me, I physically feel like **** and get pain (withdrawl) if I do not get my training in....