Layne Norton PHAT

MG223

Awards
.muscleclass.com/layne-norton-phat-workout
Just started this program today as a bunch of people told me about it. I like it so far after doing two 12 week runs of shortcut to size. My question is this, can I make a few small changes to the program to work with my schedule and still have it effective? the way the program falls for me upper power day would be on Saturday and lower power day would be Sunday. Could I switch these two workouts around?
Also could I swap out db bench on power day for flat barbell bench since I'm wanting to get that up? Same thing for db shoulder press, could I swap that out on power day for OHP?

runtyemonster

Awards
IMHO, most programs are merely templates. Unless it was designed specifically for you by a coach/trainer then as long as your sticking to the basic format, tweak away bruh. You know your body, your weaknesses and your strengths. Make that programs yours, just following Dr. Norton's general guidelines, ya know.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PHAT is a training system, not a set program. Layne wrote an example program that uses the PHAT principles, and a lot of people tend to use that program or call that the PHAT program, but in actuality, PHAT is the idea of having a lower rep power day and a higher rep hypertrophy day (with speed work). You could modify any way you see fit, although do your best to keep the program balanced (so if you're relatively new to programming for yourself, only swap out exercises with similar analogs...like bench for DB bench, as you mention in the OP. Once you're more experienced, you can gut it a bit more and rewrite it completely, while still utilizing the same principles that make it PHAT).