Swollen ankle need cardio replacement

cwages

cwages

Awards
So I've been on a cut for 4 months. I've dropped 35lbs and getting fairly lean. I'm 3 weeks out from my vacation in cancun and trying to finish leaning up. I'm in the gym 6 Days a week and was doing lifting 1 day and hit cardio 1 day. 1 hour of hit running 5.5 miles on average and burning over 800cal. I injured my right ankle doing hit cardio after a brutal leg day. Right ankle is swollen and can't take hit cardio or a ton of walking on the treadmill. I need some ideas to take the place of cardio till my ankle heals. I've upped my reps and sets but it doesn't seem to do near as much body composition as hit cardio. Thanks guys.

tsmog

tsmog

Awards
Sorry to hear that bro. Can you bike or use the elliptical? If not, there's not much else you can do as far as cardio. I would just take it easy and keep the diet in check.

cwages

cwages

Awards
Sorry to hear that bro. Can you bike or use the elliptical? If not, there's not much else you can do as far as cardio. I would just take it easy and keep the diet in check.
Thanks bro. I might try the bike tomorrow. I think the elliptical might make it swell up but I'm going to try it too. My diet is spot on and squeaky clean. I'm real close to having my bottom abs in and now I had to throw the brakes on cardio.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Try doing bike but if that doesn't work maybe try boxing on a punching bag also tape your ankle in to lock it and give it some support and pop a few ibprofen to calm down the swelling and tough it a little bit through the workout then ice it when you finish up

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Little late but I was gonna say the same either elliptical or bike. Unless your gym has a rowing machine

cwages

cwages

Awards
Try doing bike but if that doesn't work maybe try boxing on a punching bag also tape your ankle in to lock it and give it some support and pop a few ibprofen to calm down the swelling and tough it a little bit through the workout then ice it when you finish up
Thanks that sounds like a good idea. Ive been wearing a compression sock on it and it definitely helps but not enough to stand up to running or walking over 30mins or so. It was swollen pretty good after I got home tonight walking 30min on the treadmill.

cwages

cwages

Awards
Little late but I was gonna say the same either elliptical or bike. Unless your gym has a rowing machine
Thanks brother. Going to try both and hopefully be able to do some cardio. Hard to believe that I'd be pissed about not being able to do cardio 4 months ago.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't do the bike. It night seem like your ankle isn't hurting on a bike but it's moving quite a lot. You'll just aggregate the injury and prolong healing time.

High reps will help some but yeah, not the same as cardio. I'd say, just do other stuff while healing. It's unrealistic to expect same results while injured. Maybe work on your core or other parts that might have been overlooked.
Going only for weight loss isn't a good idea anyway IMO. Just use this time to improve your core or flexibility or other stuff that's been overlooked.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
have you thought of HIIT with kettle bell swings? Probably one of my fave HIIT apart from sprints! Try it if swinging a bell doesn't hurt your ankle try 1 min continuous swings 1 mins rest 10-20 rounds believe me it will be just as good as running

cwages

cwages

Awards
have you thought of HIIT with kettle bell swings? Probably one of my fave HIIT apart from sprints! Try it if swinging a bell doesn't hurt your ankle try 1 min continuous swings 1 mins rest 10-20 rounds believe me it will be just as good as running
Kick ass idea. I bet I could do the kettle bell swings. I'm definitely going to try that tonight. Thanks brother.

cwages

cwages

Awards
Don't do the bike. It night seem like your ankle isn't hurting on a bike but it's moving quite a lot. You'll just aggregate the injury and prolong healing time.

High reps will help some but yeah, not the same as cardio. I'd say, just do other stuff while healing. It's unrealistic to expect same results while injured. Maybe work on your core or other parts that might have been overlooked.
Going only for weight loss isn't a good idea anyway IMO. Just use this time to improve your core or flexibility or other stuff that's been overlooked.
Thanks I appreciate the advise. I do lift quite a few days a week to maintain muscle mass. I mix it up between heavy Days and high rep lighter weight Days. Until the ankle injury I was doing 1 day lifting, followed by one day hit cardio and then back to lifting.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ice bath 5-6 times per day. U should feel cold, aching, burning, then numbness is about 4-6 minutes.

Knock the swelling out now or it will linger through ur vacaction.

cwages

cwages

Awards
Ice bath 5-6 times per day. U should feel cold, aching, burning, then numbness is about 4-6 minutes.

Knock the swelling out now or it will linger through ur vacaction.
Thank I'm definitely keeping it iced and wearing a compression sock on it to help it heal. I sure don't want to deal with this on vacation.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That is actually a good idea. Kettleball swings can get your HR pretty high.