Legs: once a week vs multiple times a week

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is your preference? For the longest time I enjoyed hitting legs once a week but lately I've been doing 1-2 leg exercises every other day. Some include superset, compound, drop sets, negatives...mixing it up. What do you like to do?

ScoopCollins

Awards
I do quads every 6 days & hamstrings every 6 days. I only do about 5-6 exercises for each but I'll do 3-6 sets per exercises. It usually takes me an 1-1.5 hours. Legs are sore all week around lol

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
From a natty perspective frequency seems to beat intensity. So I make sure to hit every bodypart 2-3 times a week. Stimulate not anihalate is a mantra ive found to be pretty accurate.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I hit legs every 2-3 days.

Usually a form of:

Day One
Bench
Squat
Horizontal Push/ Pull Assistance
Posterior Chain

Day Two:
Deads
OHP
Vertical Push/ Pull Assistance
Core

Repeat 4-5 x per week.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
From a natty perspective frequency seems to beat intensity. So I make sure to hit every bodypart 2-3 times a week. Stimulate not anihalate is a mantra ive found to be pretty accurate.
I agree 100%. But we all are different. The past 6 months or so I've been hitting everything twice a week but with a little bit lower volume and it's the best results I've ever seen.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Before my back injury:

Mon- squat, bench
Wed- dead, front squat, board press
Fri - pause squat, TNG bench
Sat- dead, incline bench

Frequency and RPE allowed me to train the movements well, frequently lol

CJuggernaut

CJuggernaut

Board Sponsor
Awards
2/3 times a week. Frequency will depends on the volume that's done each day.

Example if I'm going to do 30 work sets (what I find my advanced clients gain from) this week I can divide it into:

Day 1
10 worksets x 12r

Day 2
10 work sets x 8r

Day 3
10 work sets x 6r

OR

Day 1
15 work sets x 12r

Day 2
15 work sets x 8r

Many other variations to this method. Few factors to keep in mind are exercise selection and target areas to keep in mind.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Personally my legs are my most dominant, expecially strength wise. I found that doing 2-3 times a week at different intervals and intensities has stimulated my metabolism and overall systemic growth more than anything else. The demand of that frequency calls for proper nutrition and adequate rest. I personally cut it back to once a week here and there, and sometimes with less volume my legs grow even more lol. I wish my upper body was like that.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Yeah also hit legs every 4 days or approx twice a week. I do fairly abbreviated sessions for legs vs upper body. Legs for me have always been far more developed than my upper body so have to work hard to catch up to leg development. It's annoying when people tell you to stop training your legs without atleast acknowledging you train your upper body.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
For leg strength I responded well to 3x a week of squatting. 5 sets of 5, highest rep range I'd go would be Friday I'd throw an AMRAP. Then two days rest, repeat. Like a hybrid of stronglift.

Hajiroku

Hajiroku

Awards
  • Established
I squat 3x a week and any leg use from deadlifts or bench leg drive is bonus. I'm never sore the way people complain about but I think that's only something that happens to the 1x a week leg day people.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I squat 3x a week and any leg use from deadlifts or bench leg drive is bonus. I'm never sore the way people complain about but I think that's only something that happens to the 1x a week leg day people.
I do get sore on legs when I drive up the volume. By then I can only do it once a week. So yes if you go 3x a week stick with limited sets. A stronglift base would be a good start

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My 5 day split is as follows

1-bench
2-bench
3-bench
4-bench
5-curls and abs

As you can see I don't have to do legs

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
This is the main reason I squat every 4 days. Any longer between and I have to deal with DOMS. Not that it's a big problem but DOMS doesn't equal greater gains so might aswell avoid it by upping frequency