Struggling on seated DB shoulder press because..

UNbuff

Awards
... getting the weight positioned becomes a waste of effort ruining the set

Most im getting up now is 75lbs and the second set is a joke, im almost standing up as i struggle to get the weights moving after popping the DB's off my thighs.

Its becoming exhausting just getting those weights into position, and its zapping my strength for the actual work set, anyone else given up on DB shoulder press because of this?

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Have some one hand them to you one at a time, or get positioned while standing

UNbuff

Awards
Have some one hand them to you one at a time, or get positioned while standing
I train at home

How is getting positioned while standing going to take less effort then being seated? DB's still going to have to be picked up off the floor

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
If it's taking that much effort to pick it up off the ground then I'm not sure how your pressing it overhead

hamzazaidas

hamzazaidas

Awards

Most im getting up now is 75lbs and the second set is a joke, im almost standing up as i struggle to get the weights moving after popping the DB's off my thighs.

Its becoming exhausting just getting those weights into position, and its zapping my strength for the actual work set, anyone else given up on DB shoulder press because of this?
There really isn't much to do here unless you have someone who can spot you..

The only other solution that I think takes less effort is to kick them up one at a time.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
To be honest I personally find any standing dumbbell/barbell press to be superior compared to seated - not only for core engagement, but actually building shoulder muscles. I just feel it way more.

Switch to standing and lemme know!

CJuggernaut

CJuggernaut

Board Sponsor
Awards
If you're using a rack that has adjustable safety bars or on a racked bar. I have used two of these shaped hook for each dumbbell to hold them on the bars just high enough to get them on my shoulders and sit down to do my set.

Ray Donovan

Awards
If you can't get the DBs into position then you need to use less weight. Period. Maybe your technique or coordination just isn't quite right, dunno.

I've never had any issues getting the DBs into position all by myself, and I've gone up to 100s for shoulders and 150s for flat bench. Never considered asking for help, which would then result in a dependence on that help every time. No thanks.

UNbuff

Awards
If you're using a rack that has adjustable safety bars or on a racked bar. I have used two of these shaped hook for each dumbbell to hold them on the bars just high enough to get them on my shoulders and sit down to do my set.

Cheers, I've looked into a lot of self spotting methods.

I've come across using Chains that hang from a high up bar that hold the dumbell in the lowest point of ROM.

So you just get under them and press away, and no need to drop them down as they'll just hang there when youre ready to go again

Caleb87

Awards
Just a thought but you could replace them with dumbbell clean and press. Drop to 50's and work it up. If done correctly it activates every head on the shoulders and you get stronger over all.

Xtremestrngth

Awards
If its taking a lot of effort to lift them up and positioning yourself why don't you just lower the weight instead, slower motion, still as effective. Just a way to prevent injury

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If it's taking that much effort to pick it up off the ground then I'm not sure how your pressing it overhead
This. That's like people who need help with the first rep on a dumbbell bench press. If one needs help to get the first rep up, more than likely, their form is going to suck and they are only going to work the top portion.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Yes. I have he same problem. My strength out paced my ability to maneuver them into place. A lot of it had to do with the height of the seat. Last time I tweeked my wrist pretty bad and its still troublesome from time to time. My shoulders are not too fund of it either. I've moved on and use lighter weight for finishing reps after heavier barbell or hammer press.

Years ago I made these and I added 20lbs and more to my press work. Their long gone as I used them in my home gym.
View attachment untitled.bmp

I've been considering a new set to take to the gym. They even sell them at WalMart.
ea5f89a6-cf95-4812-ab42-b4d01898c4b7_1.df16ac1ad3635f1a040a2a6395efabed.jpeg

UNbuff

Awards
Yes. I have he same problem. My strength out paced my ability to maneuver them into place. A lot of it had to do with the height of the seat. Last time I tweeked my wrist pretty bad and its still troublesome from time to time. My shoulders are not too fund of it either. I've moved on and use lighter weight for finishing reps after heavier barbell or hammer press.

Years ago I made these and I added 20lbs and more to my press work. Their long gone as I used them in my home gym.
View attachment 146666

I've been considering a new set to take to the gym. They even sell them at WalMart.
View attachment 146667
yeah ive seen these too

Theres lots of ways to rig the DB's up, but re-racking them for another set is the real issue, you don't want to "fiddle" to get the DB's reracked as that can tweak the shoulder.

Im investing in Dual Landmine/tbar attachments, and rigging up two barbells. Probably a better exercise anyway, since U can get low, instead of the DB hitting your shoulder

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Also make sure you're doing full ROM on your warmup sets, like touching your shoulders. I don't necessarily think you need total strict form for working sets but if you make sure you get full ROM for warmups it helps make sure your muscles/stabilizers are strong.