Need functional core and hip training advice.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A little history;
51yo training body builder style consistently for 16+ years
One umbilical hernia repair. (13yrs)
One umbilical and epigastric hernia repair (failed umbilical repair above) (11yrs)
C6/7 left side nerve root innervation injury fully recovered atrophied left side tricep, pec, lat (10yrs)
Right distal bicep tendon rupture and repair 3yrs ago fully recovered
I actively play Mens Senior Baseball as a catcher and 3rd baseman

I am looking for a functional program that will strengthen my core and hips, primarily rotational for hitting and throwing, and of course a generally healthy core. I can still throw a clothes line down to second as well or better than HS and hit a ball a good 300+ feet or more. The thing is that I am using a lot of arm strength and little core and hips in the execution of both.

I do planks and bridges and vacuums irregularly and its quite boring and functionally ineffective for my goals.

I'm looking for something efficient and most importantly fun. Heavy ball, ropes, kettle bells (or dumbbells) are all options.

I will not and cannot do direct ab work like sit ups or too extreme crunches as there is still scar tissue from my hernia repairs and I always get a tearing feeling that is unpleasant and undesirable. The second repair is world class but I'm just not for that kind of direct ab work. I'm not going to do heavy dead lift or heavy pulls or anything that over trains my lower back as it is not well and my knees are for ****.

Please offer any programs or suggestions (don't mind a youtube link) that you feel will increase my functional core strength with special consideration for baseball performance.

Thanks guys!

BTW - I got decent rep power :D

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sub'd as well, currently recovering from inguinal hernia surgery.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
You probably know about him, but Eric Cressey trains mostly baseball players and some of his writing and info may be useful to you.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Consider revisiting your surgeon with this exact question. If ur unpleasant tearing is scar tissue, it might be a good thing to bust it up. And to clarify, Im not suggesting you go rip away at it, Im suggesting u ask.

Finally, a new trend in PT is that they coexist with athletic trainers for local HS and small colleges to build rapport with the community. There may be just such a clinic near u that can offer PT phyiology know how with sport specific ATC sport specific application

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You probably know about him, but Eric Cressey trains mostly baseball players and some of his writing and info may be useful to you.
If I knew that I would not be asking. Thanks brother. Perfect.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Consider revisiting your surgeon with this exact question. If ur unpleasant tearing is scar tissue, it might be a good thing to bust it up. And to clarify, Im not suggesting you go rip away at it, Im suggesting u ask.
we spoke. Surgery is many years back so it is what it is. It happens. I've got a decent protocol of heat and deep tissue massage with some old "ointment" I had.

Now it's just tender post exertion and it's really a matter of doing the above and working through it intelligently.
Finally, a new trend in PT is that they coexist with athletic trainers for local HS and small colleges to build rapport with the community. There may be just such a clinic near u that can offer PT phyiology know how with sport specific ATC sport specific application
Great tip. Perfect. Thanks!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Pallof press variations - I get people to use bands and kneel down because people tend to subconsciously widen stance to improve stability rather than lighten load and focus on core contraction. The pallof press is an anti rotation exercise, which works the core through resisting motion.

If you have a workout partner, get them to tap gently in various positions on a swiss ball while you hold it in semi squat position. Close your eyes so that you cannot brace your core to predict the movement change. DO NOT get them to whack the ball or try get you to fail; the idea is small adjustments which you can resist.

For hip power, focus on "snapping" at the hip. An exercise to try out is throwing a medicine ball at a wall from 2 feet away. Throw it like a rugby ball, but use the hip snapping motion to drive power - not your arms (you're not throwing the ball, but displacing the power generated through the hip to launch the ball).

Power for throwing comes from the legs first and foremost, then through power transfer to the arms. Squats, Deadlifts, Hip Extensions and other hip dominant exercises should be foundation (or variations thereof that you can work injuries around) and then adding in a couple of extra exercises that assist in those.