Grip for rack pulls?

G

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
What kind of grip is best for rack pulls? Is it just personal preference or is one more beneficial or debilitating than the other (overhand vs mixed grip)?

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally, I alternate between right palm out left palm out, on all my deads floor or what have you. I feel this helps to keep the torque on my torso in some better balance side to side/arm to arm. I also use straps (especially for rep work) at times since I am working the pos chain for the most part. I can always work grip afterwards, or on other days, since those small muscles recover quick and can be trained more often.
I have also used hook grip at times.

hamzazaidas

hamzazaidas

Awards
What kind of grip is best for rack pulls? Is it just personal preference or is one more beneficial or debilitating than the other (overhand vs mixed grip)?
Generally speaking, mixed grips allow you to carry more before you're grip wears out.

But then again, you could alternate between both.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If it's low rep and you're using it specifically as a main movement for deadlift as part of a powerlifting program, then use your competition grip, whether that's mixed, hook, etc. Note that if you mixed grip, one way will feel more natural than the other...this is because no one's shoulders are built perfectly evenly and one most likely will be slightly more internally rotated than the other, so that's fine, use whichever way is natural.

If it's high rep or not part of a powerlifting program, use straps. No reason to hold back your posterior chain because of grip issues.