Most successful program you've used?

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Quote Originally Posted by cobri66 View Post
    The simplicity is why I think it's great for beginners..stagnation hits with everything..I started heavy triples when that happened
    Totally agree. Any beginner should start with something totally basic. Learn good fundamentals and then add variety
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Product Rep - [email protected] .com

2. Quote Originally Posted by Oconns28 View Post
    Thanks. Yes I agree. Sorry I left that out about the 3 days. That's what starting strength 5x5 calls for I think?

I've seen somewhere that there was a mod to add deadlifts into PHAT more frequently I believe?

I would say my goals are 65/35 strength to just size. I want the size but I want it to be strong muscle not just for show
    The way I run my PHAT mod right now I deadlift on my hypertrophy days for higher reps and do rack pulls on my power days all weeks except my 1rm week where I dead twice, once to grease the groove and deload and then once for max. This has been great for me as I was stuck for quite awhile and the rack pulls have helped my lockout a ton.

You could def tailor PHAT to what you want. Focus more on the main lifts and just dial the total accessory volume down a bit and I'm sure you'd make serious progress.
    •   

3. Phat does allow for some pretty sick gains. PH3 and a full budget was still the hardest and most worthwhile run I've ever had. I'm taking posterior gains that surpassed Smovlov!
    Current Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/291581-officially-chasing-abs.html#post5714196

4. What do you guys think about rest and pause technique ?

5. Quote Originally Posted by bruno.camilo View Post
    What do you guys think about rest and pause technique ?
    I am not a big fan myself. The tempo just beats me and I just don't enjoy it
    Current Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/291581-officially-chasing-abs.html#post5714196
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    The one caveat is that you have to allow for proper recovery to reap the benefits of the workouts. Any good progressive program that focuses on those lifts should help you, and theres nothing that says you can't lift more than 3 times a week
    I use a lot of these ideas in my HST routines. And you nailed it with the recovery mention. I see great results and then crash prior to hitting my goal because of the high frequency of each lift. It's really tough to manage volume when you are feeling good and looking good prior to the crash.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bruno.camilo View Post
    What do you guys think about rest and pause technique ?
    I enjoy rest pause. My biggest gains on my bench were through rest pause
    It's Bea, fcker. Bea Mother****ing Arthur. Dammit........lol

Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

8. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    Totally agree. Any beginner should start with something totally basic. Learn good fundamentals and then add variety
    I began with it and never did anything else..hate figuring out percentages...I get all 25 reps..move up 10 lbs...great for my simple brain
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative
    Use Code COLEMAN30 to save 30% on ALL HiTech Pharma Co.:
    APS Nutrition, ALR Industries, Formutech, LG Sciences, IForce Nutrition

9. Maybe i'm just missing it but what is the progression plan/schedule like for PHAT? Is it the usual add 5 or 10 lbs for big lifts like squat or deadlift per week and 5 for bench and OHP? Hypertrophy would be if you hit all the reps to move up reps the next week then possibly drop reps and add weight the next if successful?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Oconns28 View Post
    Maybe i'm just missing it but what is the progression plan/schedule like for PHAT? Is it the usual add 5 or 10 lbs for big lifts like squat or deadlift per week and 5 for bench and OHP? Hypertrophy would be if you hit all the reps to move up reps the next week then possibly drop reps and add weight the next if successful?
    the way my template is set up it has you progress with sets, reps, and weight over the course of a 6wk block in order to eventually improve your 1rm within each block.

11. Do start the 5x5 at 80%?
    It's Bea, fcker. Bea Mother****ing Arthur. Dammit........lol

Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

12. Quote Originally Posted by ryane87 View Post
    Do start the 5x5 at 80%?
    In retrospect that's what I did.
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative
    Use Code COLEMAN30 to save 30% on ALL HiTech Pharma Co.:
    APS Nutrition, ALR Industries, Formutech, LG Sciences, IForce Nutrition

13. Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    In for gains. Also I'm a huge proponent of PHAT or a PPL split. Recently switched to doing 6 days/week: PPL A, PPL B, rest. Definitely the most efficient when it comes to maximizing muscle protein synthesis imo. And the A and B days help with exercise variety.

Seen significant increases in general upper body size already.
    Definitely phat works!! And it's the best of both worlds heavy lifting and high reps

14. For mass, both on and off gear, Doggcrapp, period.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Justlooking5 View Post
    For mass, both on and off gear, Doggcrapp, period.
    Could you expand on your experience with DC? I'm interested in trying it (natty)

16. Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    Could you expand on your experience with DC? I'm interested in trying it (natty)
    Sure, it's been the program where I've made the most consistent gains in size and strength. When I've tried higher volume workouts where you do multi sets/exercises per bodypart (e.g., Max-OT) I usually stall at a lower weight/size. With Doggcrapp I just focus on that one rest/pause set per exercise, and focus on building strength, and I get better size gains. I have always used Doggcrapp when I've been my biggest, both on and off gear.

The only downside to DC is that the lower volume does give you somewhat of a softer/bulky look, but what I do is do DC to gain size and strength, then increase volume to maintain and improve density/hardness.

Overall DC is a more effective and fun way to train IMO. Lower volume, higher intensity, higher frequency of workouts (and "growth phases") due to lower volume.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Justlooking5 View Post
    Sure, it's been the program where I've made the most consistent gains in size and strength. When I've tried higher volume workouts where you do multi sets/exercises per bodypart (e.g., Max-OT) I usually stall at a lower weight/size. With Doggcrapp I just focus on that one rest/pause set per exercise, and focus on building strength, and I get better size gains. I have always used Doggcrapp when I've been my biggest, both on and off gear.

The only downside to DC is that the lower volume does give you somewhat of a softer/bulky look, but what I do is do DC to gain size and strength, then increase volume to maintain and improve density/hardness.

Overall DC is a more effective and fun way to train IMO. Lower volume, higher intensity, higher frequency of workouts (and "growth phases") due to lower volume.
    Thanks!
    I'm toying around with the idea of combining a PHAT split with DC principles. So for power upper/lower I'd do DC type rest/pause exercises and extreme stretching but do a little higher volume work later on in the week.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    Thanks!
    I'm toying around with the idea of combining a PHAT split with DC principles. So for power upper/lower I'd do DC type rest/pause exercises and extreme stretching but do a little higher volume work later on in the week.
    Do it! I've done it with great results.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 02:19 AM
  2. Who's the most interesting person you've ever met in the gym?
    By MuscleGuyinNY in forum General Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 03:51 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 08:48 AM
  4. Whats the best workout program you've used
    By nolinenowait in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 07:01 PM
  5. sound off if you've used buyb12 or lion Nutrition
    By buyb12 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3