How to incorporate HIIT into training schedule

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
I lift weights 5-6 days per week and want to start doing a little HIIT. I typically lift in the morning... when would be an ideal time to do interval training?

Should I do it immediately after lifting weights? Would doing interval training in the afternoon or PM impede recovery from my lifting session earlier in the day? Any advice here?

Angrypolak

Angrypolak

Awards
What is your goal with added HIIT? Increase cardio capacity? Weight loss?

I'm a big fan of KB swings. 20 seconds work, 40 seconds rest, 10 rounds (10 minutes). Performed immediately after lifting.

I'm doing 55lb swings cause I'm doing a 3x routine right now. If doing 5x I'd personally drop to 35lb but keep the intensity high.

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
What is your goal with added HIIT? Increase cardio capacity? Weight loss?

I'm a big fan of KB swings. 20 seconds work, 40 seconds rest, 10 rounds (10 minutes). Performed immediately after lifting.

I'm doing 55lb swings cause I'm doing a 3x routine right now. If doing 5x I'd personally drop to 35lb but keep the intensity high.
Goal is both fat loss and increased cardio capacity. I'm planning on doing sprints on an elliptical: 3 min warmup, 8 rounds of sprints, 3 min cool down

If I lift Monday thru Sat, would doing HIIT eod be too much?

Angrypolak

Angrypolak

Awards
It's hard to say. I'd maybe start doing EOD. Then start adding days. If you feel it's impeding your primary progress, dial it back. I was doing a 20 minute class (called non-stop, but pretty much HIIT) Mon-Fri at one point and it was too much for me. I ended up with some nagging injuries from it.

If you used crossfit as a template, they have a rest day like every 4th day or so. So maybe work up to doing HIIT 5 of your 6 lift days. So off days would be Wednesday and Sunday?

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I would start eod and do it post workout in the morning. I'm a big advocate in doing cardio in a fasted state so for me personally morning I'm most definitely fasted and after training I'm pretty close to being on an empty stomach. Doing the HIIT post workout in the morning will increase the calories you burn during the day and also can increase your metabolism.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I notice a great increase in appetite when I do fasted cardio.

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
I notice a great increase in appetite when I do fasted cardio.
I love fasted cardio. When I'm cutting, I do fasted AM cardio and take yohimbine. It definitely helps me slim down... however, I do loose strength.

I feel like fasted AM HIIT would impede any LBM gains though. Part of the reason why I'm interested in doing HIIT is cause I've read that it will help during a bulking phase

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
I only ever do HIIT on my non weight days so 2 times a week 10-20 rounds sprints, can't say it's impeded my progress doing it like this, I'm still a bigger fan on 40 mins steady state though haha

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
The best part of HIIT training is you will burn more calories throughout the day because of recovery and other factors.