Arm size help.

JoeStethics

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys i really need some help from experienced lifters about getting my arm size, my arms are a tad less than 16 inches, for an average guy my arms are better than normal but im talking bodybuilding wise i feel like they are kind of small compared to my width and size, people keep telling me my arms are big but i just dont feel it and im sorry i couldnt share any pictures but as i said i would like to know how can increase their size?
Not interested in fatceps my arms are pretty lean genetically which may also be why they arent that big, so any specific split or way of training(high reps.low reps) any advice on this?
usually i train arms between 8-12 reps mainly 8 and do heavy barbell curls 6-7 reps till failure, i am very interested in trying 4 sets of 20 reps for arm exercises. Im mainly talking about biceps and triceps not shoulders/delt as genetically and how i train my shoulders/delts are one of my strongest and best features.

pro45

Awards
If you are taking every one of those barbell curls to failure, you might want to think twice about doing that. What are your stats? Height? Weight? Training split? Nutrition?

JoeStethics

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
im 6'1 213 pounds(been cutting for 3 weeks but gonna resume bulk)
Usually go with chest
back
shoulders and traps
biceps/triceps
ive been doing chest/biceps and back/triceps for the last 2 weeks then biceps/triceps later on in the week to hit arms twice.
My diet well since im resuming bulking its not really clean but i would say around 70% clean.

APC80

APC80

Awards
I put 1/2 inch on my arms in 4 weeks using blood flow restriction training once a week at the end of my arm day. I only stopped it cos I changed routine but it seriously works wonders and the pump ya get is unreal.

I was the same before I started it my chest and back were way more developed than my arms but now they look way better

BCC912

BCC912

Awards
I've seen great results incorporating concentration curls (both regular & hammer variations).

pro45

Awards
No legs?? it appears you're a young guy, yet doing AAS's?? That would be beyond my scope of knowledge. However, you could probably use more volume and intensity techniques over the natural guy.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Add weight on your deadlifts and rows, before adding more volume or workload to all of that isolation work.

I wager at this point you'll grow fastest that way

JoeStethics

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No legs?? it appears you're a young guy, yet doing AAS's?? That would be beyond my scope of knowledge. However, you could probably use more volume and intensity techniques over the natural guy.
im not using AAS but i plan on in the future.
Pretty soon actually :p

JoeStethics

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well what do u guys think about the 4 sets of 20 reps for arms?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
im not using AAS but i plan on in the future.
Pretty soon actually :p
Problem solved then.

Plus, you will be drastically changing your program once this happens so this would have been good to know at first

Recovery and MPS being accelerated means keep up that volume and add either weight or reps once you can.

How experienced are you? Past programs?

SlavicStrong

Awards
Add weight on your deadlifts and rows, before adding more volume or workload to all of that isolation work.

I wager at this point you'll grow fastest that way
I've been told this too. Someone once told me you can't have big biceps, without a strong back. I neglected deadlifts for a while, but recently got back into them, and I am glad I did. I figure all the heavy weight pulling down on the back, and also the biceps, as well as all the other minor muscles involved, is going to have to force them to grow eventually.

JoeStethics

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well i work back very often and im pretty strong on back exercises but i dont deadlift as it was giving me terrible back and knee pain, i am not in desperate need to pack on some arm size as they are decent i just wanna base a program that can improve them for bodybuilding standards and my goal isnt that unrealistic being 17.5 inch dry, i dont mean instantly i mean as a goal to reach.

JoeStethics

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
On cycle i dont think i would really stress out as i wouldnt be focusing on the long run and i could increase volume or decrease anything would work so not really stressing programs just my usual split making sure i hit biceps and triceps twice a week.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Biceps/triceps twice a week,
not on a program,
Going on your first AAS run.

I know what it's like to chase a goal hard but be sure to keep a tally of what you're risking for 1.5 inches on your arms. That's a lot of training time and associated risks with AAS use

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What does a typical week of arm exercises look like for you? What you're bf%?

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Serge Nubret pump training worked wonders for bringing up my arms but I'd imagine many high volume pump training routines could fit the bill. Have dedicated arm days so you're fresh..

jesus_sanchez

Awards
Then I recommend site enhancement oil to push the muscle to grow. Especially during future PCT.

jesus_sanchez

Awards
Hahaha! I think you are thinking of how it used to me used. Trust me, most dudes are using to expand the area for new growth. Not for making water ballons. Hahahah!

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
I'm no expert but what about the FSt-7 style program. It says it's specializes is growing your arms. I'm sure there are many on here with more knowledge tho

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
HELL NO. Im going for the aesthetic look

Second that. Also there's nothing worse than huge arms that are piss weak. Alot of that going on these days. Not so sure I buy into the theory of using oil to create space for more muscle growth.

JoeStethics

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Second that. Also there's nothing worse than huge arms that are piss weak. Alot of that going on these days. Not so sure I buy into the theory of using oil to create space for more muscle growth.
There is truth to that, but honestly i couldnt care less about strength but right now im just tracking strength for progressive overload and building muscle but when i start riding bicycles i wouldnt care any less about the weights i lift.

JoeStethics

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What does a typical week of arm exercises look like for you? What you're bf%?
Ignoring the mini cut and now i havent been to the gym or eating well for 2 weeks because of mid-terms, before all that crap around 15-17%

I have been given the advice of just waiting and trying to achieve muscle maturity and if training naturally to just be patient as i get stronger and bigger with the rest of my body, but as i said i think they need more size for proportion, like for non-lifter standards my arms look great in my opinion but as i said i wanna get to bodybuilding standards keep in my mind aesthetics being my goal, and what scares me most actually is when i wanna start cutting and getting down to 8% body fat for the summer how depleted my arms look(past experience even though i did have less muscle mass overall).

My training is mainly focusing on getting stronger and between 6-8 reps on anything with dumbbells and barbels but 10-12 on cables, i always do some barbell or ez-bar curls first(2 week wide, 1 week close grip) then any hammer variation i find suitable(cable or dumbbell) then either concentration curls or just some causal preacher or dumbbell curls.
For triceps i go with skullcrusher(dumbbells or EZ-bar) i change around a lot sometimes pulldowns or close grip bench or behind the neck tricep press. Tricep exercises i find are much easier for me to do fatigue wise but i go for heavy and 8-10.
My idea was hitting arms twice a week, once heavy and once very high reps and high volume, or arms once and fitting either biceps or triceps with other muscle groups.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You keep saying that your goal is aesthetics, but you keep ignoring the question about why you don't train legs :) It's fine if your choice is to focus only on your arm size, but I think you'll find the quickest way there is to increase everything rather than trying to just gain in that area. Have you tried bulking and cutting or has your training been more of trying to do both at the same time?

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
You keep saying that your goal is aesthetics, but you keep ignoring the question about why you don't train legs :) It's fine if your choice is to focus only on your arm size, but I think you'll find the quickest way there is to increase everything rather than trying to just gain in that area. Have you tried bulking and cutting or has your training been more of trying to do both at the same time?
Calves are bigger than my arms now what

pro45

Awards
Again.... What is your leg training like??? Forget about how big your calves are. I believe you are devaluing how important training the lower body is to all around growth.

JoeStethics

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do the good old bulk/cut
But im still on my first bulk.(supposed to be near the end but i dont know:( )

JoeStethics

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Again.... What is your leg training like??? Forget about how big your calves are. I believe you are devaluing how important training the lower body is to all around growth.
Barely ever touched legs. My thighs are decent in size but my calves are small, but i thought i would like to go for that buff in skinny jeans look, especially when shirtless.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Triceps is the bigger portion of arms.
Any overhead -and floor DB extensions work for me.
For biceps:
Weighted chin ups -and one armed (heavy) rows.
Almost no curling besides some concentration curls once a week.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Barely ever touched legs. My thighs are decent in size but my calves are small, but i thought i would like to go for that buff in skinny jeans look, especially when shirtless.
If that's your goal, that's your goal, but I think you'll find it easier to achieve if you at least do some leg work. Not saying you have to go full powerlifter or squat 5 days a week, but one day of legs will help tremendously. Sorry if I missed it, but how old are you? I only ask because bulking up one area is a lot easier if you're still young, but trust me that it gets way harder as you get older and having at least one day of legs has always helped me put on lean muscle and lose fat when cutting.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Not trying to put ya down but that's not a good look, skinny legs and no arse with a big upper body. It's even worse than them guys you see with huge arms and no chest or back development.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Don't discourage him it's beneficial for the rest of us:toofunny:. I train my legs far less than upper body but they've always been a strong point. My calves have always been bigger than arms.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Come on guys, not cool. He's got a goal and is asking for help on how to get there.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its physiological. Your upper body is limited by the foundation it has to support the whole structure. Think of a tree trunk and its limbs. Top heavy or overloading limps will lay the tree down on the ground to die.

Gaining 20lbs of muscle can add up to an inch on your arms. Bigger stronger legs can support a bigger stronger back which can support bigger stronger arms...

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Agree for most of us there's only so much disproportion we can achieve before we hit a wall in progress. Ofcourse steroids can do a great job at helping build a disproportionate physique. This is where the jacked dudes with tooth pick legs come in. Jokes aside I don't mind if he wants the skinny jeans with jacked body look to each his own.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Come on guys, not cool. He's got a goal and is asking for help on how to get there.
Im all for helping people just trying to make the guy see sense. He wants the aesthetic look with 17.5" arms and planning to do a steroid cycle yet doesn't train legs. That cannot be good for your body to be supporting a bulk of mass on chopsticks. Good luck with your knees when your 60. I don't really know what to say to that never mind give advice on how to get there.

pro45

Awards
Im all for helping people just trying to make the guy see sense. He wants the aesthetic look with 17.5" arms and planning to do a steroid cycle yet doesn't train legs. That cannot be good for your body to be supporting a bulk of mass on chopsticks. Good luck with your knees when your 60. I don't really know what to say to that never mind give advice on how to get there.
I've seen guys on cycle who neglected legs and wound up tearing muscles in the lower body and posterior chain.

APC80

APC80

Awards
I've seen guys on cycle who neglected legs and wound up tearing muscles in the lower body and posterior chain.
Of course mate we all know what happens when you've muscle imbalances, the posture problems and associated injuries you can get yet people think it's ok to overtrain your whole upper body. You can get away with it natural but once ya add gear to push past natural limitations it's just gonna end badly.

JoeStethics

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hmm very interesting responses, and its fine you guys are not discouraging me by any means, you guys actually have a point, i might look into something like high reps or reach a stage where if i felt im strong enough i will not increase weight to limit legs, but i will start to work them in some way off or on cycle soon, and for the arms i think im gonna try 4 sets of 20 reps 3 exercises for biceps and triceps and if that doesnt work ill do like 2 exercises 7 sets each(14 sets for each bicep and tricep) of around 8-10 reps.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Even do a bit on the leg press machine and some calf raises each week mate just don't neglect your legs altogether

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I have been very frustrated with lack of arm growth. At 6'4 250 my arms are stuck at only 18 inches. I actually have stopped training just arms and now just do them once a week with time under tension and rarely hit them. They get crushed in my heavy compound lifts. So far I have noticed my arms staying fuller even while prepping but my arms are my most frustrating muscle group.