Rib cramping during jogging

Head Nurse

Awards
Need some help guys. For the last couple of weeks when I do me daily jog I'm getting right sided rib pain. I stretch out before I start and I do a fast walk as a warm up. It seems to be the same spot every time - the bottom 3 ribs. I have even tried 'tiger balm'. Got any ideas????

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I get that sometimes when I jog. It'll start in the same place (lower right stomach), but I continue to run and it'll shift to another spot and another spot until it finally stops. I've always wondered what it is as well.

Head Nurse

Awards
I get that sometimes when I jog. It'll start in the same place (lower right stomach), but I continue to run and it'll shift to another spot and another spot until it finally stops. I've always wondered what it is as well.
I think mine is just muscle cramping, I just can't figure out how to prevent it.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I believe that it is called a side stitch. I usually get them when i run too hard. I also sometimes get them if I barely take a sip of water while running really hard.

What I do to help alleviate it is to sort of push up and in behind the rib. It's sort of like trying to grab your rib because of the way that I curl my fingers. Anyways, I push in and while forcefully exhaling and flexing my upper abs.
Hope this helps somewhat.

Head Nurse

Awards
I believe that it is called a side stitch. I usually get them when i run too hard. I also sometimes get them if I barely take a sip of water while running really hard.

What I do to help alleviate it is to sort of push up and in behind the rib. It's sort of like trying to grab your rib because of the way that I curl my fingers. Anyways, I push in and while forcefully exhaling and flexing my upper abs.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Will give it a try.
Yea I too get them from sipping H2O, but I need the water.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Try stopping briefly, raising your hands above your head, and inhaleing deeply through the diaphram. This will expand the ribcage maximally and mabey help with your problem.

It works for hicups too. ;)

Head Nurse

Awards
Try stopping briefly, raising your hands above your head, and inhaleing deeply through the diaphram. This will expand the ribcage maximally and mabey help with your problem.

Do you know if this will work while walking or do I really have to stop.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established

I remember this stretch, it's the same one they had me do when I got smacked in the face playing soccer as a kid.

Head nurse, I imagine that it would help if you were to stop and stretch, but, if you wanna run down the road singin' hallelujah, then, by all means go for it.:p

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Do you know if this will work while walking or do I really have to stop.
You might be able to do it while you walk. The key is to get the muscles of the rib cage to relax as it expands.

Head Nurse

Awards
You might be able to do it while you walk. The key is to get the muscles of the rib cage to relax as it expands.
It worked okay for last nights run, but I will stop and stretch it out next time. Thanks.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
You're welcome. ;)

And while I have your attention, Get some of your girlfriends to register here. We could use more yin energy. :)

Head Nurse

Awards
You're welcome. ;)

And while I have your attention, Get some of your girlfriends to register here. We could use more yin energy. :)
Been try'n to.... But nurses - believe it or not - aren't much into fitness. They think I weird LOL

Head Nurse

Awards
Oops!!! I didn't mean all of us!!!! It's just that there isn't many who work hard on their bodies.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Oops!!! I didn't mean all of us!!!! It's just that there isn't many who work hard on their bodies.
You don't have to be PC here. I know the maijority of nurses are pretty f-ing fat. All it takes is a walk through the hospital to figure that out. :rolleyes:

Head Nurse

Awards
You don't have to be PC here. I know the maijority of nurses are pretty f-ing fat. All it takes is a walk through the hospital to figure that out. :rolleyes:
Play nice now LMAO

Without nurses who would fit your booboos when you over train??? Yes I taken care of afew of you guys!! LOL

Head Nurse

Awards
I called in a favor and found out what is the cause of my side stich. Also found out while jogging - don't drink cold water. The water should be warm (yuck), reason being is that the cold water, no matter how refreshing, is a shock to the system and causes cramping of the stomach along with other muscles and tissues.
Thanks for the stretch info guys, it comes in handy!!!!!

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the water advice. I remember getting one of these every day at PE in elementary :b

Brfish

Brfish

Board Supporter
Awards
When I get the side stitch while jogging, I can get rid of it without slowing down or stopping. It works for my son too. I fully exhale all air I can from my lungs, then I take half breaths in and then fully exhale. A few of those and the stitch is gone.

Head Nurse

Awards
When I get the side stitch while jogging, I can get rid of it without slowing down or stopping. It works for my son too. I fully exhale all air I can from my lungs, then I take half breaths in and then fully exhale. A few of those and the stitch is gone.
Hey cool I'll have to try that one too.
I don't like slowing or stopping as it causes my heart rate to slow down and I have a hard enough time getting it up there as it is.