High Reps 20+ - How many sets??

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
Hello,

My usual routine is

Reps 5-7 - Sets 12 (Very Heavy weights).
or
Reps 10-12 - Sets 12 (Heavy weights)

I would like to try high reps with lower weights. How many sets would be the norm?

Example
Reps 20-25 reps - Sets ? (lighter weights)

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
Personally I feel the only muscle groups that you can train for that high of reps is legs and maybe a little back because the muscle groups are so big. Besides that I personally feel it's too many reps unless it's used as a pump set to get blood in and it's controlled with good time under tension.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
Personally I feel the only muscle groups that you can train for that high of reps is legs and maybe a little back because the muscle groups are so big. Besides that I personally feel it's too many reps unless it's used as a pump set to get blood in and it's controlled with good time under tension.

I've also read that high reps would be more effective towards protein synthesis, but to stay on track to my original question. How many sets for high reps would be the norm?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you only do one exercise? 120 reps of heavy weight seems like a lot, especially if you're doing 6-7 exercises. That's nearly 1,000 reps of 'heavy' weight.

What exactly is your training goal here?

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
For back I usually do 20-30 working sets rep range 8-15 tops..mostly 8-12 but it's always until failure. Legs vary from 12-20 with rest pauses and drop sets. RDl I stick to low reps because hamstrings are your fast twitch muscle

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
Do you only do one exercise? 120 reps of heavy weight seems like a lot, especially if you're doing 6-7 exercises. That's nearly 1,000 reps of 'heavy' weight.

No i dont do only one exercise. I dont want to get into too much detail and get off track, but i will get back to you. Right now i would just like to know what is the norm sets for high reps.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
For back I usually do 20-30 working sets rep range 8-15 tops..mostly 8-12 but it's always until failure. Legs vary from 12-20 with rest pauses and drop sets. RDl I stick to low reps because hamstrings are your fast twitch muscle
wow ok thanks man.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
High reps should be between 8-20. Muscle hypertrophy is reached between 8-12 with maximal weight being used for those reps (you should almost reach failure or reach failure). It also matters if ur using PED or natty.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I also like hitting chest and back, legs, then shoulders and arms. So I hit 2 muscle groups. 3 days on 1 off so I hit them 2 times a week depending

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
Listen to ur body and base things also off ur recovery and energy. You can actually deplete your adrenals and cortisol levels and effect your CNS if you train at an intense level for to long. So doing a pyramid may help where u train hard as **** for 3 weeks then do one week of less overall volume and reps

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
I guess i wont be changing the amount of sets.

Reps 20-25 reps - Sets 12 (lighter weights)

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
Listen to ur body and base things also off ur recovery and energy. You can actually deplete your adrenals and cortisol levels and effect your CNS if you train at an intense level for to long. So doing a pyramid may help where u train hard as **** for 3 weeks then do one week of less overall volume and reps

Ok thank you. I just read all your posts. Thats some good info. I will keep an eye on things and gauge my routine.

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established

He said 10-12 reps, of 12 sets. Not 6-7 exercises. So that 120-144 reps. Not 1,000.

Let's learn to read