Teenage muscle recovery

snakes

Awards
I'm currently on a PPL/PPL/x routine and have seen some pretty solid progress over the last couple weeks, however, I'm concerned about the risk of overtraining. For example, if i hit chest on monday with high volume and high intensity, am I good to hit chest again on thursday with the same volume and intensity? I'm 18 if that makes any significant difference in recovery time, and I also have a pretty solid diet.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
-First off, it might be an okay idea to check out the "Overtraining" thread, (in this section-11 some pages) just to get some varied opinions of what you feel might be an issue.

- Second, and from my experiences, to get as close to potential as one desires, one has to (know) at times how to push hard against the door of so called limits or OTing since I would never know really, how much I can endure. About the only way I know to do that is to, pay close attention to, recovery, fluctuating or stagnating strength levels, moods, sleep & eating habits, too many frequent colds or little infections etc. etc. !?!? One's strength or energy levels may bounce at times from W/O to W/O, but if they seem to drop on a reg basis and not rebound, then a period of lighter intensity, or volume, or frequency, or a week away doing something just active, may be in order.
And, what might fatigue some, may be reg stimulus for another. ie: medium intensity to Joe X, might be too hard for me over time and vice versa. It is not really a cookie cutter or one size fits all style of science when it comes to individual's abilities.

- Third, if one is using loads upwards of 80%-90% of true 1 RM's and (depending on the exercises-ie: deadlifts or squats say week in and week out at 70%-80%+ are going to beat one up lots faster than say leg curls perhaps) have been at it for a time, then their/my threshold may be closer to being near the point of no return, than someone newer and having room to gain a good bit both mass and CNS wise.
A guy using #450x5x5 is going to most likely inroad energy levels more than say a guy (with about the same build and potential) using #225x5x5 in the same exercise. The total tonnage can/comes into play too.

- Fourth, and IMO, no matter how much one tries to keep gains steady and forth coming in this game, it is not really how the body works. Sure one can keep it to the low side of pushing to hard, but the human body waves in energy and also in states of growth and stagnation. We are not creatures that just grow linear.

-Fifth, I think some of the more well known and established programs out there, followed rather to the letter with loads and sets reps schemes are pretty good. They factor in intensity and loads over say a 6-8-10-12 week cycle. I think too many novices want to design there own programs or overdo one body part per se and end up falling short, rather than just doing more or less older proven programs by the letters.

-Sixth, And yes, I might guess that a 20 YO has a good deal more recovery ability than a 55 YO. As far as how great a 20 YO's is compared to another 20, I have no idea!?