Morning routine opinions

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys I work as a trash man. I start at 6:30 in the morning and finish anywhere from 1:30 p.m. to 4 o'clock p.m. depending on how heavy our route is. I do not take any breaks I am constantly running and throwing barrels while throwing back water in between stops and stuffing protein bars or grilled steak into my mouth while I throw barrels with my other free arm. I know it sounds crazy but we get paid salary so we work like animals as fast as we can to get the hell out. Normally after my route I go to the gym but my workouts during the week are not as intense as my weekend workouts for obvious reasons so I was thinking of getting up around 4 a.m. and eating something light and hitting the gym at 5 a.m. and then leaving for work at 6 a.m. the question is, what is an ideal light meal I can eat 45 minutes pre workout? Normally in the morning I eat 6 eggs, ham, oats, cheese etc... I can't do that if I'm gonna lift 45 minutes later. Suggestions please!

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
Any idea what your daily calories are for maintenance, what your target macros are?

If not, at least what's your height, weight, and age.

Right off the bat though my suggestion would be:
1) 1-2 scoops of whey protein in water
2) 1-2 tblsp of peanut butter
3) 1/2 cup of oats

Blend and drink!!! Liquids digest faster

That's like 25-50g protein, 8-16g of fat, and 30ish carbs.

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any idea what your daily calories are for maintenance, what your target macros are?

If not, at least what's your height, weight, and age.

Right off the bat though my suggestion would be:
1) 1-2 scoops of whey protein in water
2) 1-2 tblsp of peanut butter
3) 1/2 cup of oats

Blend and drink!!! Liquids digest faster

That's like 25-50g protein, 8-16g of fat, and 30ish carbs.
I am 5 foot 8 inches I weigh 155 pounds 30 years old. I am not exactly counting my macros but I do have somewhat of an idea of what I take in. I try to make sure I'm at least getting 3000 calories daily. I also have celiac disease so I do not eat any gluten. No bread no pasta and the oats that I eat are steel cut oats gluten-free variety. My main diet consist of eggs ham feta cheese tomatoes apples steak tuna hamburger patties cottage cheese Greek yogurt etc. I eat a ton of fat and a lot of protein. I get my carbs from steel cut oats long grain rice red potatoes mixed vegetables fruits and stuff like that. What do you think bro any suggestions?

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
And then you'd have to get the post workout meal in as well obviously. But a morning shake is a great convenient way to slam some nutrition down and have it digest quickly.

Another good idea is overnight oats with Greek yogurt and fruit. Greek yogurt is (generally) low in sugar and the reason it has more protein than regular yogurt is because they filter out the whey protein and then reinstate it into the yogurt so it's makes it a bit more tacky, thick, and higher in protein. By adding fruit you're getting a good source of fructose which digests rather quickly, but not as fast as say syrup or sugar in oatmeal or something. Good to break the catabolic state you're in upon waking.

Just take a cup, jar, protein shaker, bowl, etc. Add 1/2 cup oats, 1/3-1/2 cup of plain or flavored (ideally low in sugar) Greek yogurt, some fresh blueberries, strawberries or peaches, a splash of milk (alternatively use almond, rice or hemp milk), shake it up for 30 seconds, then throw that sucker in the fridge the night before and by morning you can eat with a spoon or drink.

Takes 5 minutes to make, and in the morning it's all ready to go. Digests quickly and easy to eat

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
^typed that response before I saw your reply. Sounds like you already eat some great quality foods! Nice stuff man. Sorry I probably lectured you on some knowledge you already know lol

But yea overnight oats are another great easy option that digests quickly

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^typed that response before I saw your reply. Sounds like you already eat some great quality foods! Nice stuff man. Sorry I probably lectured you on some knowledge you already know lol

But yea overnight oats are another great easy option that digests quickly
Hell yeah bro I will make that shake that you suggested sounds great. One problem for today is that I just got back from the market and totally forgot to grab my oats. The only oats I have right now are steel cut and I'm not going to sit there for 20 minutes cooking them tomorrow morning. So if I do a couple scoops of whey and a couple scoops of peanut butter and say a banana, that would be good for pre-workout right?

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
Hell yeah bro I will make that shake that you suggested sounds great. One problem for today is that I just got back from the market and totally forgot to grab my oats. The only oats I have right now are steel cut and I'm not going to sit there for 20 minutes cooking them tomorrow morning. So if I do a couple scoops of whey and a couple scoops of peanut butter and say a banana, that would be good for pre-workout right?
Yea I'd vote that's a great alternative. Peanut butter for fat, whey for protein and banana for carbs. Your stereotypical banana will have about 15-20g of carbs. 2 tblsp's of peanut butter is usually like 14-18g of fat and like 250ish calories. 2 tblsps basically translates into 1 massive spoonful

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea I'd vote that's a great alternative. Peanut butter for fat, whey for protein and banana for carbs. Your stereotypical banana will have about 15-20g of carbs. 2 tblsp's of peanut butter is usually like 14-18g of fat and like 250ish calories. 2 tblsps basically translates into 1 massive spoonful
So I don't eat bread because of the celiac disease but I do buy gluten free bread sometimes. I was thinking as a post workout meal I will just have a cold cut chicken breast sandwich. You get your quick carbs from the bread and protein in the meat. Then off to work to chase a garbage truck. How's that sound?

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
So I don't eat bread because of the celiac disease but I do buy gluten free bread sometimes. I was thinking as a post workout meal I will just have a cold cut chicken breast sandwich. You get your quick carbs from the bread and protein in the meat. Then off to work to chase a garbage truck. How's that sound?
Can't go wrong with chicken! And bread, although not the "cleanest" carb source, is not a bad option when you consider the convenience of a sandwich lol. Talk about one of the greatest inventions of all time!!

You're spot on about quick carbs though! Major importance of replenishing those glycogen stores in the muscle post workout.

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can't go wrong with chicken! And bread, although not the "cleanest" carb source, is not a bad option when you consider the convenience of a sandwich lol. Talk about one of the greatest inventions of all time!!

You're spot on about quick carbs though! Major importance of replenishing those glycogen stores in the muscle post workout.
Once I'm at work, throughout the day I'll eat a grilled steak I made the night before, or hamburger patties. For carbs I'll have an apple or a banana here and there. When I get home I'll have something like chicken with veggies and red potatoes and later maybe cottage cheese or tuna or something. I'm trying hard to get a good solid routine/diet so I can start seeing faster results instead of taking dbol and eating triple cheeseburgers lol

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I would recommend for a fast meal I would do 1 cup liquid egg whites, 1 scoop of protein and 1 cup of oats or a bagel. If your interested in burning fat and lifting first thing in the morning you could do a protein shake (2 scoops) and peanut butter or almonds for fat. I would then slam some preworkout and then infra workout do a BCAA complex. This product from Chaos and Pain even offers mild waxy maze starch. https://www.chaosandpain.com/mercury-extended-energy-bcaa-complex/. Code:skellie saves you 20%

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
Then post workout consume a whole food meal such as chicken and rice or chicken and potato etc.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would recommend for a fast meal I would do 1 cup liquid egg whites, 1 scoop of protein and 1 cup of oats or a bagel. If your interested in burning fat and lifting first thing in the morning you could do a protein shake (2 scoops) and peanut butter or almonds for fat. I would then slam some preworkout and then infra workout do a BCAA complex. This product from Chaos and Pain even offers mild waxy maze starch. https://www.chaosandpain.com/mercury-extended-energy-bcaa-complex/. Code:skellie saves you 20%
It's tacky to be a rep, and not have it in your signature.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I have to do it on my computer the app won't let me. Sorry man

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well guys I would like to report that I woke up at 4:10 a.m. I then went downstairs and had two scoops of whey two tablespoons of peanut butter and a banana. I then made a pot of coffee and had one large cup with a little coffee mate and one teaspoon of sugar. By 5:20 a.m. I was starting my workout at the gym doing back and biceps. I had so much more energy and felt great good pump and overall better feeling. One small problem I had was that I noticed during my workout I felt a little bloated and was burping here and there which obviously means my light meal was still digesting. Next time I will try to eat it a bit earlier say around 4 a.m. one other problem I noticed was that once I finished my workout at 6:10 a.m. I was totally full and definitely not enthusiastic about eating a chicken breast sandwich so instead I literally forced myself to choke down 2 protein bars giving me 50 grams of protein and 34 grams of carbs. Overall I'm very happy and in 15 minutes I'm going to jump on the garbage truck and begin my route. In a couple hours I'll eat that sandwich and I think that's fine because I will use the simple carbs seeing as I will be running down the road all day and then a little later I also have a steak. All in all I'm going to say I am very pleased with this new routine and would like to thank you guys for your input

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
It could have been the combination of the coffee with the banana and protein. All depends on how your digestion system is because everyone is different. The creamer and sugar could have made you bloated as well. I like to poor the preworkout of powder right in my mouth and just wash it down with water. Hits me quick and doesn't affect my stomach.

JohnWill

Awards
From what I've read you got a really solid diet man. I have a hard time eating a big meal in the morning so what I do is put my oats in a blender and just add it to my morning protein shake. A cup of milk scoop of protein and half cup of oats. That's just me and I can slam that down pretty quick

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
Killin it bro! You could knock one scoop of whey off in the morning and save it for after as well

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think the reason you feel pretty full and not really hungry after your workout is because of the peanut butter. I also started taking peanut butter a while ago pre workout, and honestly i don't feel like eating anytime soon after, you kind of have to force feed yourself. It's also probably the reason you feel a bit bloated while you workout, but it does give you some good energy so just stick with it i think