19 year old looking for advice

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Hey guys I am 19 years old I am 5ft11 weigh 180lbs at 13% body fat I am looking for advice on a bulk in regards to training supplements and nutrition.

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
Yes with my fitness pal I'm currently running 40 carbs 40 protein 20 fats
Layne norton has a pretty good page that calculates macros pretty close to what I like for lean bulking. Google Layne norton ph3 nutrition

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Every week add 100cal/day and watch the scales. When the scales start going up add a little more volume to your workouts. Stop adding cals when u r bulking at the desired rate. Eat plenty of quality protein (chicken & fish ed and red meat eod).

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Every week add 100cal/day and watch the scales. When the scales start going up add a little more volume to your workouts. Stop adding cals when u r bulking at the desired rate. Eat plenty of quality protein (chicken & fish ed and red meat eod).
Thanks man

SlavicStrong

Awards
The best advise I was ever given was "you should be eating like a ****ing horse." Most supplements won't work for someone as young as you, I should know, because I'm even younger than you are. Food is the key, that's all I can say. Food and consistency. Keep the food clean, and you shouldn't put on too much fat, you're still pretty young. I literally can't express how much eating matters when wanting to gain strength and size, and can't express how many supplements are complete crap. I've dabbled into supplements here and there, until I finally realized that food was all that matters. Eat, train hard, and don't over do it, make sure you have adequate rest and recovery. Good luck in your path of fitness, discovering the gym was a life changer for me.

BCC912

BCC912

Awards
Hey guys I am 19 years old I am 5ft11 weigh 180lbs at 13% body fat I am looking for advice on a bulk in regards to training supplements and nutrition.
Bump your calories & follow an established workout program..
Keep on experimenting with your caloies as long as you gain ~1 lb. of bodyweight per week :)

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Bump your calories & follow an established workout program..
Keep on experimenting with your caloies as long as you gain ~1 lb. of bodyweight per week :)
Sounds good I'm just wondering where I should be in terms of max bodyweight. As a natural I don't know how high I would bulk up to in order to stay lean. I would prefer not to go above 15% body fat. I hear many of the famous natty YouTubers saying that 5'11 men shouldn't go above 175lbs but since I am at 13% body fat and already at 180 there's obviously still room to grow.

Last edited:
muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds good I'm just wondering where I should be in terms of max bodyweight. As a natural I don't know how high I would bulk up to in order to stay lean. I would prefer not to go above 15% body fat. I hear many of the famous natty YouTubers saying that 5'11 men shouldn't go above 175lbs but since I am at 13% body fat and already at 180 there's obviously still room to grow.
Honestly, I wouldn't put put much weight on what YouTubers are saying. There's some good advice here. There isn't some magic "max bodyweight" above which someone natty will only gain fat and not muscle, do don't worry about it.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Honestly, I wouldn't put put much weight on what YouTubers are saying. There's some good advice here. There isn't some magic "max bodyweight" above which someone natty will only gain fat and not muscle, do don't worry about it.
OK cool thanks man cause it's kind of disappointing what some of them say.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OK cool thanks man cause it's kind of disappointing what some of them say.
Don't get me wrong, progress will slow as you get bigger and stronger, and gains will always approach some limit (natural or not), but it's highly improbable that you're near your natural limit/potential at 19, so keep working hard.

BCC912

BCC912

Awards
Don't get me wrong, progress will slow as you get bigger and stronger, and gains will always approach some limit (natural or not), but it's highly improbable that you're near your natural limit/potential at 19, so keep working hard.
Came in here to say something similar.. Well said!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For a bulk, it's all about calories. If you aren't worried about gaining fat, eat everything in sight. Milk is your best friend. People under estimate milk but a gallon of whole milk has 2,304 calories. Even if you drink 1/4 of a gallon per day, it comes out to be 576 calories. Now add that with something simple like a peanut butter sandwich and you are well over 750 calories extra to your daily nutrition. If you are stuck at a weight, add more calories.

As for now, I wouldn't look too much into supplements except for the staples (pre workout, protein, vitamin...etc). If you need help in choosing which product(s) to take for your staples let us know. We are here to help.

And kudos to you for coming on the forum and asking us vs asking some friend. This forum is full of very knowledgeable people who have been in your shoes before and know what route is best for you.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
For a bulk, it's all about calories. If you aren't worried about gaining fat, eat everything in sight. Milk is your best friend. People under estimate milk but a gallon of whole milk has 2,304 calories. Even if you drink 1/4 of a gallon per day, it comes out to be 576 calories. Now add that with something simple like a peanut butter sandwich and you are well over 750 calories extra to your daily nutrition. If you are stuck at a weight, add more calories.

As for now, I wouldn't look too much into supplements except for the staples (pre workout, protein, vitamin...etc). If you need help in choosing which product(s) to take for your staples let us know. We are here to help.

And kudos to you for coming on the forum and asking us vs asking some friend. This forum is full of very knowledgeable people who have been in your shoes before and know what route is best for you.
Thanks man also I'm trying to eat like super clean foods because I have been down the road of eating everything in sight and I got crazy fat so I'm wondering if it's OK to go a little dirty because eating 3.5k Cals of chicken breasts and brown rice is a pain in the ass vs grubbing on some Mc D's yknow? I also am running a bottle of orig1n ATM so hopefully that does me some good and I can eat the chicken breasts and brown rice.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks man also I'm trying to eat like super clean foods because I have been down the road of eating everything in sight and I got crazy fat so I'm wondering if it's OK to go a little dirty because eating 3.5k Cals of chicken breasts and brown rice is a pain in the ass vs grubbing on some Mc D's yknow? I also am running a bottle of orig1n ATM so hopefully that does me some good and I can eat the chicken breasts and brown rice.
If you gain fat easily then you need to lean bulk.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
If you gain fat easily then you need to lean bulk.
OK so I'll have to definitely not sleep in more than 8 hours so I can get my feedings in. I like the sound of whole milk though what'd you think about the whole semi dirty bulk and do cardio to keep the fat off?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OK so I'll have to definitely not sleep in more than 8 hours so I can get my feedings in. I like the sound of whole milk though what'd you think about the whole semi dirty bulk and do cardio to keep the fat off?
That's a common way to do it. You will just have to figure out on your own how many cheat days you can afford and the least amount of cardio you can do that works enough but not too well if that makes sense. And when I say cheat meal, I do not mean cake and brownies. You can cheat but cheat smart. Find foods/meals that you would never eat on a cut but also are high in carbs and protein. The first thing that comes to my mind is a typical thanksgiving dinner lol

Gorgoroth

Gorgoroth

Awards
Solid advice for a teen. Follow it.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
OP, how's it going?
Thanks for asking bro! It's going but jeez Orig1n is boosting my appetite like crazy! I'm getting in about 5% more than my daily expenditure (about 3100) I'm using MyFitnessPal. I now weigh 182 and I started at 178 I'm not sure if that's too quick but I'm loading creatine mono and I'm on my 5th day I feel thicker but I don't seem to have gained much fat.. but it's not realistic to gain muscle that quick.. I'm guessing it's water weight?

I'm hitting PRs on all big 3 lifts.
Your advice about milk is working although I'm using 2% not whole milk.

I'm not sure what else to say.. but I think the bulk is going well..

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
OP, how's it going?
Nvm just weighed in now and I'm at 179 with food in me. The other day I was at 182.. so I should probably do an average of the week right like add up all the weights and divide by 7 days

SlavicStrong

Awards
The weight increases and decreases are most likely food, for example in the morning I might weigh 200, then at the end of the day I've seen myself as high as 206. This is due to water and food. About milk, I used to drink half a gallon, or more a day, but I don't do so anymore as it is fattening. You should also be careful with milk, apparently too much isn't good for your hormones, so idk if half a gallon was really a healthy choice, which is why I stopped..

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for asking bro! It's going but jeez Orig1n is boosting my appetite like crazy! I'm getting in about 5% more than my daily expenditure (about 3100) I'm using MyFitnessPal. I now weigh 182 and I started at 178 I'm not sure if that's too quick but I'm loading creatine mono and I'm on my 5th day I feel thicker but I don't seem to have gained much fat.. but it's not realistic to gain muscle that quick.. I'm guessing it's water weight?

I'm hitting PRs on all big 3 lifts.
Your advice about milk is working although I'm using 2% not whole milk.

I'm not sure what else to say.. but I think the bulk is going well..
Awesome man! Glad to see things are going good for you.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The weight increases and decreases are most likely food, for example in the morning I might weigh 200, then at the end of the day I've seen myself as high as 206. This is due to water and food. About milk, I used to drink half a gallon, or more a day, but I don't do so anymore as it is fattening. You should also be careful with milk, apparently too much isn't good for your hormones, so idk if half a gallon was really a healthy choice, which is why I stopped..
It's definitely not something you should do for an extended period of time. But even adding a a glass of milk with every meal will add calories to your intake.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
I went from 193 to 218 with cardio 7 days per week, fasted. Don't be afraid. I've done cardio every morning for over a year now. It's a great tool to keep body fat in check
How long do you do cardio? How do you judge how much you need? I usually try to do a mile on the treadmill as quick as I can usually end up around 110+ calories burned

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How long do you do cardio? How do you judge how much you need? I usually try to do a mile on the treadmill as quick as I can usually end up around 110+ calories burned
When I do cardio, simply running is the last form of cardio I would opt to do. Unless you just enjoy doing it. You can burn quite a bit of calories if you run/Some form of HIIT on the treadmill or elliptical but for 10-20 min in a time crunch, I would look for a different form of cardio. Just my preference.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
When I do cardio, simply running is the last form of cardio I would opt to do. Unless you just enjoy doing it. You can burn quite a bit of calories if you run/Some form of HIIT on the treadmill or elliptical but for 10-20 min in a time crunch, I would look for a different form of cardio. Just my preference.
Sounds good man will keep that in mind my bulk is almost halfway through I don't mean to change up the topic of this thread but since you're giving unreal info I'll ask you now I have never done a serious cut because I always trained for sports so my question is in regards to supplementation what do you think of arimistane at 25mg with a test booster do you think it's a good idea or should I stay away till I get lore experience I am turning 20 in early April.

I just want to get drier

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds good man will keep that in mind my bulk is almost halfway through I don't mean to change up the topic of this thread but since you're giving unreal info I'll ask you now I have never done a serious cut because I always trained for sports so my question is in regards to supplementation what do you think of arimistane at 25mg with a test booster do you think it's a good idea or should I stay away till I get lore experience I am turning 20 in early April.

I just want to get drier
Cutting is 100% diet. As with any goal. You have to make sure your diet and training are on point first and foremost. That being said, taking an AI can be very beneficial. At the same time, you can find supplements that have an AI in it along with other goodies that will help you achieve your goal. I'll get more into supplements in a minute. My personal opinion, I would start your cut with using the staple supplements only. Why? Because you want to use other supplements (like an AI) to your benefit and get the most out of them. If your diet isn't on point, they won't do too much for you. But once you have nailed down the consistency of meal prepping and training, that's when proper supplementation can help you achieve your goals.

Forskolin (bulk or found in another supplement) is great for cutting or limiting fat gain while on a lean bulk. I would look into Anabeta Elite or AlphaMax XT if you choose to go the supplement route. The reasons AlphaMax XT is one of my favorite products to use during a cut or lean bulk is because the L dopa gives me a great night sleep, test boosting properties and the addition of forskolin. A lot of test boosters out there claim a lot of things but only provide increase in libido. AlphaMax XT can go right a lot with a great diet and training routine to provide body comp changes. Same with Anabeta Elite. Those two products are my top 5 favorites.

So like I said, I would give your cut a solid 4 weeks or so to get the routine down of your diet and training and make sure you are seeing results without the use of supplements. Then, and only then, is when I'd venture out and look for a product like you described to help.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Cutting is 100% diet. As with any goal. You have to make sure your diet and training are on point first and foremost. That being said, taking an AI can be very beneficial. At the same time, you can find supplements that have an AI in it along with other goodies that will help you achieve your goal. I'll get more into supplements in a minute. My personal opinion, I would start your cut with using the staple supplements only. Why? Because you want to use other supplements (like an AI) to your benefit and get the most out of them. If your diet isn't on point, they won't do too much for you. But once you have nailed down the consistency of meal prepping and training, that's when proper supplementation can help you achieve your goals.

Forskolin (bulk or found in another supplement) is great for cutting or limiting fat gain while on a lean bulk. I would look into Anabeta Elite or AlphaMax XT if you choose to go the supplement route. The reasons AlphaMax XT is one of my favorite products to use during a cut or lean bulk is because the L dopa gives me a great night sleep, test boosting properties and the addition of forskolin. A lot of test boosters out there claim a lot of things but only provide increase in libido. AlphaMax XT can go right a lot with a great diet and training routine to provide body comp changes. Same with Anabeta Elite. Those two products are my top 5 favorites.

So like I said, I would give your cut a solid 4 weeks or so to get the routine down of your diet and training and make sure you are seeing results without the use of supplements. Then, and only then, is when I'd venture out and look for a product like you described to help.
That's very true thanks for pointing that out to me man! So I will get on with the cut in a couple weeks! When I finish up this lean bulk which although I have been slow with the weight gain my abs are popping out more and I have more g veins so I'm not sure if I should just incorporate more cardio and keep the same diet (so I don't try to fix what's not broken)

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's very true thanks for pointing that out to me man! So I will get on with the cut in a couple weeks! When I finish up this lean bulk which although I have been slow with the weight gain my abs are popping out more and I have more g veins so I'm not sure if I should just incorporate more cardio and keep the same diet (so I don't try to fix what's not broken)
Lean bulking can be hard if this is your first time doing it the right way. You have to gauge how much you can eat and how much cardio you can do to the point that you aren't losing muscle. Just keeping fat at a minimal while gaining muscle. Congrats on your progress so far!

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Lean bulking can be hard if this is your first time doing it the right way. You have to gauge how much you can eat and how much cardio you can do to the point that you aren't losing muscle. Just keeping fat at a minimal while gaining muscle. Congrats on your progress so far!
Thanks man do you think it would still be necessary to do a cut or should I lower Calories to maintenance and do a more cardio because I am approximately 13% body fat which I don't plan on diving into single digits I'd like to be at 10.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks man do you think it would still be necessary to do a cut or should I lower Calories to maintenance and do a more cardio because I am approximately 13% body fat which I don't plan on diving into single digits I'd like to be at 10.
That's totally up to you. We all have our own ideal body image in mind. Right now I'm around 15%. Maybe a little higher. Def under 20 but I am transitioning from a dirty bulk to a clean bulk now. Once I feel I need to lose some fat, I'll go on a short and intense cut and go right back into lean bulking. Totally up to you.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
That's totally up to you. We all have our own ideal body image in mind. Right now I'm around 15%. Maybe a little higher. Def under 20 but I am transitioning from a dirty bulk to a clean bulk now. Once I feel I need to lose some fat, I'll go on a short and intense cut and go right back into lean bulking. Totally up to you.
That's true eh? Ill definitely keep this routine but incorporate more cardio.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Running is a horrible idea for building muscle & burning fat, imo.

I walk on an incline, every morning, fasted for 30min. 3.3 speed and 15 incline with some caffeine, Tyrosine and GDA before.

It's easier to keep that constant and adjust calories, than the other way around. Do what you can CONSISTENTLY do each week and adjust. I was doing HIIT 15-18min and it was great for prep but off season wasn't working as well. Went into a recomp and did LISS AND results were great. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm currently eating 450gr pro, 700gr carbs and 80gr fat. Was 220 this morning at 5'8-9"ish

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I walk on an incline, every morning, fasted for 30min. 3.3 speed and 15 incline with some caffeine, Tyrosine and GDA before.

It's easier to keep that constant and adjust calories, than the other way around. Do what you can CONSISTENTLY do each week and adjust. I was doing HIIT 15-18min and it was great for prep but off season wasn't working as well. Went into a recomp and did LISS AND results were great. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm currently eating 450gr pro, 700gr carbs and 80gr fat. Was 220 this morning at 5'8-9"ish
I never run! Much better cardio options. HIIT is the way to go

JCR97

JCR97

Awards

I don't have access to be able to do fasted cardio I can only go to the gym once a day and I have no cardio machine at home. The only way I could is if I went for a 15 min walk outside before I head to colllege.

And damn 450g of protein and 700g of carbs lol that's crazy could you show me what one of your days looks like if you use like MyFitnessPal can you like screenshot that I wanna see what you do to get in those Calories

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't have access to be able to do fasted cardio I can only go to the gym once a day and I have no cardio machine at home. The only way I could is if I went for a 15 min walk outside before I head to colllege.
You don't have to do cardio in a gym. Actually, the only form of cardio I do in a gym is the stair master.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
You don't have to do cardio in a gym. Actually, the only form of cardio I do in a gym is the stair master.
So you how do you do hiit?

Also I was thinking of biking to school like 2x a week. It's about 10km away

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So you how do you do hiit?
I do HIIT with any form of cardio I do. Stairs, jump rope, swimming, sprints (rarely do these), high/low step ups...etc. just google various forms of cardio and see what you find that you will like.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
I do HIIT with any form of cardio I do. Stairs, jump rope, swimming, sprints (rarely do these), high/low step ups...etc. just google various forms of cardio and see what you find that you will like.
Jump rope sounds unreal for calf pumps and easy to do.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

And damn 450g of protein and 700g of carbs lol that's crazy could you show me what one of your days looks like if you use like MyFitnessPal can you like screenshot that I wanna see what you do to get in those Calories
Brisk walk would suffice. I've used walking my dogs before when it's nice out.

Well.....for carbs eat 3 cups rice (cooked) 30oz sweet potato, 1 cup oats, 1 bagel, 100gr from fiber based cereal, 1.5cups pancake mix and 100gr glycofuse intra.

Fats are coconut oil

4lbs cooked lean meat, 4 cups egg whites and 2.5 scoops whey iso post with 20gr Aminos intra.

About 14 weeks ago I was at 350ish carbs and have worked up to 700gr

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn I don't know how you have your fats so low. That would kill me. No cheese? Put me out of my misery
Hahahaha. I used to sneak some from time to.time when I was eating whole eggs at breakfast and before bed. Now the pancakes and cereal keep those cravings at bay