CAPPING OF THE DELT

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
Anyone have any special exercises besides the usual real Db flies, pec deck reverse fly and side raised that they use to cap off the delts?

I have trouble feeling the muscle, especially on rear delt exercises. . Side raises feel solid and give me a good pump. But I get no growth. I've tried all different two ranges, tempos, drop-sets, time under tension. But NO ****1NG GROWTH.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I might as well give them a try as long as it doesn't aggravate them anymore than they already are
Make sure you start with light weight! I forgot that your shoulders have been giving you some problems.

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
Make sure you start with light weight! I forgot that your shoulders have been giving you some problems.
I need some mobility work and some rotator cuff work. And a much needed deep tissue massage. That last cycle, with the huge strength increase, my body is struggling to cope with all of that on my joints. Especially my wrists and forearms.

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
After seeing this, I just tried some W presses at home. Feels like it would be great at the end of a shoulder workout. Good tip!

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm gonna have to try those as well. Been doing 6 ways lately and they seem to be doing well for hitting all angles. Also go light on these as well.
https://youtu.be/E-cCXkSi7IQ

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Trust me on this: upright row with a straight barbell, and hand placement much wider than the regular one.

That being said, not only db lateral raise, but single cable lateral raise and single db lateral raise while laying on your side on an incline, are amazing.

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
Trust me on this: upright row with a straight barbell, and hand placement much wider than the regular one.

That being said, not only db lateral raise, but single cable lateral raise and single db lateral raise while laying on your side on an incline, are amazing.
So snatch grip high pull

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
So snatch grip high pull
It's just called upright row with a wide grip. Amazing on my side delts and if you go forward with your body just a little you can even hit a bit of rear delt.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i love the seated side delt raise machine to help cap off the side delts. However, I put a slight twist on how I perform it and I think this has really helped with that cap.

I do not grab the handles. I just make my hands in fists and just like my elbows bring the weight up. Now, if you try to use the weight you normally would, when you grab the handles, when doing this, you will not get nearly as many reps. Doing the movement without gripping the handles does not get forearms or any other muscle engaged, in my experience. It is just the side delt. One thing I like to do is also add slow negatives and iso holds at the top position. Additionally, you could do a "pump set."

Select a weight which you can do one set and get 15-20 reps. Rest 15 seconds and go to failure, rest another 15 seconds and go to failure again. Repeat this process until you hit 50 reps. Once you hit 50 reps in 5 "sets" increase the weight next time.

pro45

Awards
Seated DB laterals 3x per week, 5 sets of 12-16 reps. Nothingness for shoulders. After one month you will notice a big difference in width.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
i love the seated side delt raise machine to help cap off the side delts. However, I put a slight twist on how I perform it and I think this has really helped with that cap.

I do not grab the handles. I just make my hands in fists and just like my elbows bring the weight up. Now, if you try to use the weight you normally would, when you grab the handles, when doing this, you will not get nearly as many reps. Doing the movement without gripping the handles does not get forearms or any other muscle engaged, in my experience. It is just the side delt. One thing I like to do is also add slow negatives and iso holds at the top position. Additionally, you could do a "pump set."

Select a weight which you can do one set and get 15-20 reps. Rest 15 seconds and go to failure, rest another 15 seconds and go to failure again. Repeat this process until you hit 50 reps. Once you hit 50 reps in 5 "sets" increase the weight next time.
You didn't put a twist on it.. you just did it the proper way. The delt raise machine is one of the best machines in my opinion but you have to do it right. Don't grab the handle, make sure your elbows are aligned with your body and arm is at 90 degrees. When you lift the weight you have to DROP your wrists and lift the weight with your elbows. That means your wrist will be slightly bent DOWN. The only part that should be touching the machine is your elbow NOT your forearm. When you push up with your forearm you're just taking the tension out of your delts. AntM is now the only person I know who does this exercise properly.

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I find what helps my delts is actually overhead pressing, heavy, or atleast a weight that is difficult. Also i feel like doing dumbell laterals as explained on the athlean X videos. Also not dumbell lateraling some punk a** weight for a whole bunch silly reps.Lateral a weight that is actually difficult.

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
I find what helps my delts is actually overhead pressing, heavy, or atleast a weight that is difficult. Also i feel like doing dumbell laterals as explained on the athlean X videos. Also not dumbell lateraling some punk a** weight for a whole bunch silly reps.Lateral a weight that is actually difficult.
Last time I did standing OHP with 195. I blackout while racking it. To scared to try again. It was crazyy

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do not see anything wrong with sitting down, I have even done it on my knees. I just still like to keep the bar in front of my head and not in the back.

Gorgoroth

Gorgoroth

Awards

This gets my vote.

KilaCali

KilaCali

Banned
Awards
It's just called upright row with a wide grip. Amazing on my side delts and if you go forward with your body just a little you can even hit a bit of rear delt.
Love these, try prone front raises on the incline bench face down stopping a couple inches short of a relaxed hang. After a full shoulder day with light enough weight to get 60-100reps nonstop I like starting my isolations after 3x12-15 upright rows choosing the wider grip to bent over DB lateral raises 3x15 side lat raises 3x15/12/10 one week and cable raises the opposite weeks but make sure to stop short of relaxing that's where the real growth comes is the time under tension

UNbuff

Awards
Ive been reading people having success doing very high reps with lateral raises, in the 150 - 200rep zone. Light weight obviously

Im going to give them a try as shoulders are as stubborn as calves for me

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ive been reading people having success doing very high reps with lateral raises, in the 150 - 200rep zone. Light weight obviously

ouch to the shoulder joint.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established

That'll be a nice burn! Don't overthink shoulders too much. They can get hit pretty hard from chest and back exercises. Right now I'm doing chest, back, and shoulders all in the same day. By the time I get to my shoulders they are shot. I could only do 3-6 sets by the end.

jaces

jaces

Awards
One very important question, do you have strong traps and chest and a weaker back(especially lats)?

Devonkev

Awards
Try starting middle delt exercises with a 20 second isometric hold to help with recruitment and mind muscle connection.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've been running the rack with lateral raises, over such an incredible and painful pump from this. I start at the bottom and hit everything for ten reps, I start with 10, go up 10lbs, then when I hit the highest weight, I drop 5 lbs and go all the way back down. So far I'm up to 60lbs.