Do you need to record weights?

Toff

Awards
  • Established
So Ive recorded, and ive not recorded.. Ive often recorded the weights but then, after usual progression thought "whats the point, I can either lift it or not lift it for 8 - if not, and I hit 5 repsm lower the weigth and retry)

So, do you lot bother recording weight and do you make gains or is it a dummy mistake not to record what weights you use?

Dont want any unecessary admin or delays in a busy gym

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
Keeping record makes me push harder to get more reps/weight than last session.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There is something to be said about both camps of thought. Philosophically speaking, one cannot appreciate what they have achieved without remembering where they've been and see the progress. It's also as stated by Tylerclee it's motivational, and great for goal setting.

On the other hand. It's ok to take a break from the monotony of constantly recording every lift. Just like vacations from work, we need to relax; recuperate; and recover from the constant beating of those internal construction machines. Lie on the quiet beach of zen like existence that is one's internal voice, and meld with the experience in a more fluid way. Recapturing a less mechanical aspect of what lifting brings to us spiritually.

If you find it demotivating, don't do it, until a time where you feel the need to.

King4Dday

King4Dday

Awards
I just take pictures of my lifts. now when I do deads, bench or squats man I wish I had someone to record myself I could see what I need improvement on or what I'm doing wrong etc and of course it would motivate me to keep killing it!! So find what works best for you

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I find that it's a bit faster for me to record weights. That way I'm not playing the guessing game when I go to set up. Any increases in weight that need to be recorded get done during rests. I've tried not recording and it's fun for a week or two. But I just stagnate if I don't have that goal in black and white.

But that's just my .02

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I think you should always keep a mental note to push yourself but I think tracking every rep and weight used is a little extreme. I think you stick to a rep range and set range and push yourself to failure using that weight. If you get 8 reps easy then increase the weight and do another set

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've tracked all my workouts since I was in college (actually we did in HS, too, but those were worksheets for the baseball team that the coaches kept).

I just buy a composition notebook and use it til it's full. I have 4 or so that are completely filled and retired to a drawer and then the current one I have in my bag. Main reason I do it is because it lets me know if strength is going up; staying steady; falling behind. And it's easy to forget that you did a certain amount the week prior and then not push as hard.

That's just me, though :)

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I think you should always keep a mental note to push yourself but I think tracking every rep and weight used is a little extreme. I think you stick to a rep range and set range and push yourself to failure using that weight. If you get 8 reps easy then increase the weight and do another set

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I played division 1 and professional baseball I we used to track all of our weights. Only problem with doing this or a percentage chart is that it makes u set on a certain weight instead of pushing urself to maybe try more. This doesn't go for everyone obviously.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I record weight/reps.

I dont know how people do programs like PHAT and not record. I wouldnt trust my memory with all those exercises.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I generally record every session. The only ones I don't are ones that I will never repeat again, like short on time training. It would be easy to forget something in a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th exercise. Then you end up spinning your wheels potentially doing the same weights over and over. If you can remember everything, good on you and keep it up. Otherwise, just record it. It doesn't take any time.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I recommend beginners to record it and I used to. After time you just learn to push to failure and know what u can do and to push yourself

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I recommend beginners to record it and I used to. After time you just learn to push to failure and know what u can do and to push yourself
Thats fair. But speaking for myself, I dont want to push to failure with a weight Ive already pushed to failure previously and progressed on. I can remember my current weights for some of my exercises, but certainly not all.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Beyond beginners can use it as well. You can push to failure every time. What if you forgot what you did last time? I push to failure and when I reach a rep goal of that particular exercise, I want to add weight and try again. I don't want to forget a weight because of a killer workout and next week instead of progressing, I am farting around with the same weight or worse....lol

It keeps my ADD in check...haha

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do both. For some months at a time I will record, but usually I do not. Some days I'm just not as strong. Whether it's because of food, stress, sleep...etc so I just go on feel and go as hard as I can. And being in the gym for years you start to memorize what you do on most lifts.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All depends on the individual, I suppose. I'm borderline OCD and demand attention to detail. I track everything.

Additionally, it allows me to make note of what pre I used that day, I make notes on if I had a sprain, etc. Recently I messed my wrist up pretty good playing basketball; I noted that in there as my weights obviously plummeted for a couple weeks while it healed on pressing movements. Then once it was healed, I looked back to see where I was and got right back into it.

I personally like being able to look back on everything and analyze what I need to.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have always found it to be a silly practice as well. I agree with you 100%. Then people leave their notepad and pen on benches and walk away...love it.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I record weight/reps.

I dont know how people do programs like PHAT and not record. I wouldnt trust my memory with all those exercises.
This.

Progression will only happen with continual improvements (reps, sets, volume) 90% of the people who DONT track do not progress (ex; squat the same 225lbs for the same reps)

Undulate loads/volume and track

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
Mental notes, yes!

I personally don't see any point in tracking every set/weight/rep for isolation movements or accessory work.

Major compound movements are the only ones I make mental note of.

Gorgoroth

Gorgoroth

Awards
Journaling is important to me. Especially at the biggining and end of a diet. Important to maintain strength and tracking is key to seeing it on paper.

sarge40

Awards
I've been using an app on my cellphone to track my lifts. The app also lets me set a timer for my rest intervals. I'm also using the phone as my music player, so it's not like I'm carrying around something extra just for this purpose.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
20 years of lifting and never written down a single thing. I can tell you what my max was every year. Never felt the need to write it down. I change things up every single workout in some way shape or form.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
20 years of lifting and never written down a single thing. I can tell you what my max was every single year. Never felt the need to write it down. I change things every single workout in some way shape or form.
Youre the Rainman of the weights.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Youre the Rainman of the weights.
"Definitely definitely 280lbs I benched 5 times 3 years ago. 3 years ago" LOL

Reactions: Nac
ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
20 years of lifting and never written down a single thing. I can tell you what my max was every single year. Never felt the need to write it down. I change things every single workout in some way shape or form.
I wish my brain cooperated like that. It does keep a treasure trove of useless knowledge, though! haha

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
I really enjoy logging my workouts. Keeps me focused in between sets and workouts week to week.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I'll record my lifts commencing a program and compare with my results concluding. Usually switch things up every 6 weeks so once every 6 weeks i'll assess my progress. Inbetween it's as simple as lift heavier, reduce rest periods, increase reps etc. Can usually commit most of that data to memory.

Toff

Awards
  • Established
I tend to go along the lines of:

"lets try 50kg.... nope, wont budge..... .45kg... hmm 3 reps.... 40kg... .theres the sweet spot, 8 reps.... then 6 reps.... then 35kg 8 reps...Nope cant lift anymore....SO 15kg 25 reps, ARGH ...... arms DEAD!!"

muscles havent got a clue and the doms come every time