Programing Good Mornings

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I follow Wendlers 5/3/1 so ive been doing GM 3x10reps at 30% of my deadlift 1rm. Ive been thinking of how do other people figure out what weights or % do they use in diff rep ranges.

Thanks

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subbed for good info. Nice post brother.
(Personally I go all by feel, but I have joint issues, etc so that's just me.)

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pick a weight for the movement that you can perform reasonably clean for the desired reps and rate of perceived exertion you're after based on the emphasis of the training phase you're in. If you're going to be using the movement for a long time, start on the light side and give yourself room to grow, so to speak. If you're going to wave the move for 3-4 weeks only, you can afford to get more aggressive.

Basically, pick a weight to do some for a few. And don't be a p*ssy. It's just lifting weights after all!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I pretty much like what Hyde said.
I usually would do around 40% to maybe as high as 60% of my DL (which was a good bit higher than my squat.)
3-4 sets 5-8 reps usually.
Some also advocate doing them on say dynamic day or a lighter day, so one's lower back is not too hammered from max work on main lift(s).
For my build (tall, more of a puller) too, I seem to get a good carryover from RDL's, being able to use more weight and feeling a bit safer. YMMV!?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
To piggyback off of Paul's advice, I know Louie Simmons has said after all the decades of his guinnea pigs experimenting with GMs of all kinds for all kinds of rep ranges, he no longer believes a GM should be used as a true Max Effort movement. They got the best returns and were much safer doing a minimum of 5 reps, with 3 being the absolute lowest, and he has said that 5-6 sets of 6 is his favorite scheme now.