strength loss help please

waltermagik

Awards
Hello there this is my first post in this forum wanted to say ive experienced something like never before to give details ill have to give a bit more of information about my self im a 23 yr old lifter been lifting about 3 or 4 years and recently about 2 months ago i hit a plateau mostly on my pushing movements i got stuck at 225 incline x4 and db shoulder press 80 x 5 i would be fine with been stuck here for a minute how ever what is alarming is that i am actually losing str today i was only able to do 215 x3 and its been getting worse and worse my diet is quite on point and i am actually still making size gains i run a push pull legs program and the rest of my movements are actually getting stronger and stronger what can i do in order to fight this ? , i dont run any cycles the only supplements i take are preworkout and creatine mono

waltermagik

Awards
i take 1 day off per workout so mon wend and fri are my workout days

Colbylifts_

Colbylifts_

Awards
And sleep is also important! You have o get sleep if you don't man you'll feel like ****! Every bodybuilder will
Tell you that! There's so many other factors to, stress, diet, your rep scheme how many times are you ACTUALLY training each muscle group.

waltermagik

Awards
i get about 8 to 9 hours of sleep do about 3 sets 225 x 3 205 x 6 185 x 10 something around the same nature with shoulder press eat about 1 cup of oatmeal with milk 1 hr before workout , stress could be a thing due to some unfortunate events happening lately .

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your body is a wave of energy so to speak and will fluctuate and ebb over cycles. When it is stressed it may even try to preserve or save what it has gained to keep some even balance. Don't fret it as everyone who has worked out over several years or even cycles will go thru this. It is also not unheard of that after times of emotional stress or strain, you may even bounce back stronger.
Sounds cliched but, remember, everything alive in nature has phases and cycles. Roll with it.
That said, if you are still moving ahead in other areas, then one could also just keep adding to those lifts. Maybe your body is subconsciously trying to catch up in other areas that may feel behind some!?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Take a week or two off. You won't lose size or strength. Rest, watch Netflix, enjoy your life. It's beneficial to take a break every now and then.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Take a week or two off. You won't lose size or strength. Rest, watch Netflix, enjoy your life. It's beneficial to take a break every now and then.
Exactly. May just be in need of a deload.

And one bad day is not an indication that you're getting weaker. Bad days happen. And plateaus happen...rate of progression slows after you get past the beginner phase. If I were you, I'd take a step back and look at my training. What kind of progression scheme are you following? What kind of periodization are you doing? When was the last time you deloaded?

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Do you mix you lifts and days up? I try to mix my lifts up every 3 months or so. And if I'm having problems with stength, concentrate on hypertrophy for a while and then get back on heavy! Try mixing things up, change the weights, exercises, rep ranges even you PWO meal! Variety keeps things interesting and helps keep you on track!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you mix you lifts and days up? I try to mix my lifts up every 3 months or so. And if I'm having problems with stength, concentrate on hypertrophy for a while and then get back on heavy! Try mixing things up, change the weights, exercises, rep ranges even you PWO meal! Variety keeps things interesting and helps keep you on track!
This might help you through your plateau, but I really wouldn't get too worried if this was just one day. Sometimes we just have off days which could be due to a million things (sleep, stress, etc.)

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^^ That!
And change exercises -and or rep ranges and pauses.

Like Rich Banana said: " Must confuse the muscles, right babe?"
:)

bwdill

bwdill

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Have you recently decreased you caloric intake or added new stress? Maybe not sleeping the same lately? Anything that can cause CNS stress will affect your lifts.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would take a week or so off, increase caloric intake and completely change your workout routine. When you plateau, first look at your diet. Second, change the routine. Whether it's flipping the days around (legs on Monday instead of Friday), changing reps, adding more volume and/or frequency...etc.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any update on how things are going for you? Did you change anything?

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Have you recently decreased you caloric intake or added new stress? Maybe not sleeping the same lately? Anything that can cause CNS stress will affect your lifts.
Agree it may be CNS stress. Low rep training is a brilliant way to burn out your CNS if you push it too long. I've had this exact scenario a few years back. Training to failure at 80-90% of your max on a regular basis. Some high volume, moderate weight, pump training may be all you need to progress.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree it may be CNS stress. Low rep training is a brilliant way to burn out your CNS if you push it too long. I've had this exact scenario a few years back. Training to failure at 80-90% of your max on a regular basis. Some high volume, moderate weight, pump training may be all you need to progress.
I agree. I go heavy (3-6 reps) every other week and it's only on my compound lifts. Keeps me aware of where my strength gains are but at the same time I'm not killing my body so I enter each day feeling fresh.