How big can you get training 3 days a week?

Devonkev

Awards
Currently training 3 days a week but I see a lot of routines that are 4,5 even 6 days a week. Is this necessary for a lifter who is looking to get a good well built physique? Think men's fitness cover model. Not looking to be huge like a bodybuilder. How big have you gotten on a 3 day a week routine?

Thanks

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You can get really big only training 3X per week. Many of the most well regarded programs are just 3 days a week, 5X5 Strong lifts for example. Some regimens advocate extreme levels of intensity and low frequency - often training even less than 3X per week.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If only going 3x per week, most guys will be better off doing full body each session or alternating an A-B split. Id also be inclined to use something like rest-pause to get your effective-rep volume up without making session times too lengthy.

Devonkev

Awards
Thanks for this. I guess my biggest issue is uncertainty that what I'm doing is taking me in the direction I want to go in. Too many articles with "the best new routine" etc etc!

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Theres some really good 531 BBB three-day templates out there, one of them is bound to tick all your boxes. Nothing magic about them, Wendler is just good at getting all the basic variables together in one package.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, so how old are you? How long have you been training? There are some things that will be true of any routine for a beginner that has any value.

1. Don't think beginner routines are "inferior" to other routines. These routines are often the routines that create the greatest gains in your entire lifting career and even advanced lifters can benefit from beginner routines from time to time.

2. Start REALLY light and focus on perfecting your form. If you try to add too much weight before you really have form down, you will have problems. As weight gets heavy, the form has to be something you've practiced and don't think about anymore. In other words, when we start lifting we usually "default" to bad movement patterns and you will default to these bad habits when you make the weight heavy, even if you have good form with lighter weights. You need to practice movements until good form becomes your default.

3. While you should follow #2, you need to realize that PROGRESSION is the ONLY real factor in any of this. If you keep adding weight to the bar, you will get bigger. Most people go to the gym all the time, never understand progression, and never improve because of it. You should be more capable EVERY work out than you were the workout before.

With that in mind, again, I REALLY like 5X5 as a beginner routine. One of the most difficult moves to master is the squat - and you will master it quickly if you are doing 5 sets of squats, 2-3X per week. The program also starts really light - with an empty bar - and builds from there which gives you time to focus on form and not worry about strength, but it builds in progression.

There are plenty of other good beginner programs.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, so how old are you? How long have you been training? There are some things that will be true of any routine for a beginner that has any value.

1. Don't think beginner routines are "inferior" to other routines. These routines are often the routines that create the greatest gains in your entire lifting career and even advanced lifters can benefit from beginner routines from time to time.

2. Start REALLY light and focus on perfecting your form. If you try to add too much weight before you really have form down, you will have problems. As weight gets heavy, the form has to be something you've practiced and don't think about anymore. In other words, when we start lifting we usually "default" to bad movement patterns and you will default to these bad habits when you make the weight heavy, even if you have good form with lighter weights. You need to practice movements until good form becomes your default.

3. While you should follow #2, you need to realize that PROGRESSION is the ONLY real factor in any of this. If you keep adding weight to the bar, you will get bigger. Most people go to the gym all the time, never understand progression, and never improve because of it. You should be more capable EVERY work out than you were the workout before.

With that in mind, again, I REALLY like 5X5 as a beginner routine. One of the most difficult moves to master is the squat - and you will master it quickly if you are doing 5 sets of squats, 2-3X per week. The program also starts really light - with an empty bar - and builds from there which gives you time to focus on form and not worry about strength, but it builds in progression.

^^^^^ THIS! Nothing to add, besides watching your diet.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

One of the best posts I've seen on here in a long time.

Diet is also a major factor. If you are not eating for your goals, you will NOT see them. Period. You have to get down diet. I always tell people in the gym who ask me questions like "why am I staying the same size/strength?" And I simply reply with "it starts and ends with diet".

For training 3x a week, personally, I like to do one of two routines. 5x5 or ABABA type format. Upper and lower splits. I also like to incorporate negatives, drop sets and super sets to really work the muscles since I am only training 3x a week. I actually like training 3x a week because it gives my body rest. I prefer 4x a week but once in a while you need to change up the entire routine and how it is structured.

When you get some training experience under your belt, I highly suggest studying (yes, I said studying) DC training. The above poster hit on incorporating rest pause movements and that is one major element in DC training. One of my favorite routines to do. Right now I am doing PHAT for my routine but once I finish and take a deload week, I will start DC again.

Any questions feel free to ask!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
One of the best posts I've seen on here in a long time.

Diet is also a major factor. If you are not eating for your goals, you will NOT see them. Period. You have to get down diet. I always tell people in the gym who ask me questions like "why am I staying the same size/strength?" And I simply reply with "it starts and ends with diet".

For training 3x a week, personally, I like to do one of two routines. 5x5 or ABABA type format. Upper and lower splits. I also like to incorporate negatives, drop sets and super sets to really work the muscles since I am only training 3x a week. I actually like training 3x a week because it gives my body rest. I prefer 4x a week but once in a while you need to change up the entire routine and how it is structured.

When you get some training experience under your belt, I highly suggest studying (yes, I said studying) DC training. The above poster hit on incorporating rest pause movements and that is one major element in DC training. One of my favorite routines to do. Right now I am doing PHAT for my routine but once I finish and take a deload week, I will start DC again.

Any questions feel free to ask!
Likewise - great post.

Also - you pointed out a few different programs you use; which highlights another point: lots of programs work, but don't expect too much too fast and jump from one program to the next. Learn progression - and then stick to a program until you have squeezed all you can out of it, then be flexible enough to try something new. So in other words, be willing to change, but slow to change.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Studhorse, How big can you get on only 3 days a week??

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Studhorse, How big can you get on only 3 days a week??
Big! HIT4ME needs his questions answered. Before we can move further.
What's up brother? Work slowing down any?

Devonkev

Awards

I'm 35 , used to lift when I was younger but have only just got back into it in the last 7 months or so. Have put on around 23lbs in this time(120lbs to 143lbs, at 5'10 I have a very small frame). Started on 5x5 stronglifts but found my arms were not keeping up with my body so have modified it a bit with some accessories which has helped. Eating around 400-500 above maintenance sometimes more. Squat is around 85kg x 3, deadlift 121kg x 2. Progress is good and steady, no complaints. Sounds like I'm moving in the right direction. Thanks for you're input. It's much appreciated. Think I'm on the right track

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm 35 , used to lift when I was younger but have only just got back into it in the last 7 months or so. Have put on around 23lbs in this time(120lbs to 143lbs, at 5'10 I have a very small frame). Started on 5x5 stronglifts but found my arms were not keeping up with my body so have modified it a bit with some accessories which has helped. Eating around 400-500 above maintenance sometimes more. Squat is around 85kg x 3, deadlift 121kg x 2. Progress is good and steady, no complaints. Sounds like I'm moving in the right direction. Thanks for you're input. It's much appreciated. Think I'm on the right track
Awesome progress! You are doing it right!

Devonkev

Awards
Thanks man. I train in garage on my own and don't know anyone else that lifts so its good to get some feedback!

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks man. I train in garage on my own and don't know anyone else that lifts so its good to get some feedback!
you may get more than you want on here. :fool2:

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't listen to Studhorse , when he says 3 times per week, he means 3 x week 2.5 hours each, seriously! This dude is a machine!
:)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It sounds like you are on the right path and making excellent progress! Anything we can do to help out, let us know. Maybe you would like to start a log and we can follow along...Then you will get more opinions than you know what to do with!

Devonkev

Awards
Not a bad idea! Might just have to do this! Thanks for the advice and support.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't listen to Studhorse , when he says 3 times per week, he means 3 x week 2.5 hours each, seriously! This dude is a machine!
:)
LOL. when you get up there in age it takes along time to workout. the guy that owns the gym wanted to know if I was going to start sending my mail to the gym.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It sounds like you are on the right path and making excellent progress! Anything we can do to help out, let us know. Maybe you would like to start a log and we can follow along...Then you will get more opinions than you know what to do with!
Devonkev this is great advice from HIT4ME "also know as the man on AM".
starting a log is a good way to hold yourself accountable to more than just yourself and you will get advice from a group of great guys that have the same interest as you.
I only have one stipulation. you must post Noodz!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Devonkev this is great advice from HIT4ME "also know as the man on AM".
starting a log is a good way to hold yourself accountable to more than just yourself and you will get advice from a group of great guys that have the same interest as you.
I only have one stipulation. you must post Noodz!
LOL, this is funny. "The man on AM" - I really appreciate it, but the fact is I'm probably one of the fattest, least muscular guys on here haha. If someone is weaker than me, they are often much leaner. If someone is stronger than me, yeah, they are often much leaner. haha.

The thing about this, as hairygrandpa always has pointed out, there is more than one road to Rome. Everyone has different advice, different logic, etc. - getting a TON of different angles will help you pick and choose which is best for you and this board is great for that. As far as noodz- I would actually recommend it. I was really nervous about putting my photos up because I was really overweight, but having it out there and seeing that everyone one here actually treated me with understanding and respect, and knew where I was coming from - was actually very surprising, helpful and comforting. It also held me accountable to change those photos and make them better, since I was being given so much support. This community is just great and if "I am the man" it is only because I try to reflect all that I've been given here.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
LOL, this is funny. "The man on AM" - I really appreciate it, but the fact is I'm probably one of the fattest, least muscular guys on here haha. If someone is weaker than me, they are often much leaner. If someone is stronger than me, yeah, they are often much leaner. haha.

The thing about this, as hairygrandpa always has pointed out, there is more than one road to Rome. Everyone has different advice, different logic, etc. - getting a TON of different angles will help you pick and choose which is best for you and this board is great for that. As far as noodz- I would actually recommend it. I was really nervous about putting my photos up because I was really overweight, but having it out there and seeing that everyone one here actually treated me with understanding and respect, and knew where I was coming from - was actually very surprising, helpful and comforting. It also held me accountable to change those photos and make them better, since I was being given so much support. This community is just great and if "I am the man" it is only because I try to reflect all that I've been given here.
Don't cut yourself short, you are a plethora of knowledge.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ya. that's not going to happen. that is very impressive! If I live to be 80 that will be amazing.
Don't sell yourself short. ;)

You know what they say, whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you are probably right.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't sell yourself short. ;)

You know what they say, whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you are probably right.
Great Quote!