Hernia advice please

Dwamble12345

Awards
Well ****! After making some really good progress over the last few months, I have a f'n hernia and going to get it surgically repaired. Anybody else dealt with this BS or have advice on how to get back at it?

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
Just had surgery for it last year. I had the belly-button kind. Had it for ~10 years and finally had it taken care of. In and out the hospital in about 4 hours.
Had the mesh put in. Obviously everyone is different, but I had very minimal pain. Didn't even need the pain meds they gave me. Took 6 weeks off from the gym, which was the worst part (out of precaution, but was a must for me). No work for week and a half and stayed off my feet whenever possible. By the 8 week mark, I was fully back at the gym (whole routine back with squats which I held off on a little longer than everything else).

Not sure what you mean by back at it, but I'd assume your talking about getting back to your routine and not revenge on the hernia itself. lol

IFEARSKINNYME

IFEARSKINNYME

Awards
Did you have AcidReflux symptoms accompanied with the Hernia?

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
Hard to say because I've always had Acid Reflux and still do at times.

IFEARSKINNYME

IFEARSKINNYME

Awards
Why was the surgery necessary for you. I'm asking because I have hernia as well I guess my stomach is too high causing me AcidReflux symptoms. I have hiatal hernia and considering if I need surgery or being on Protonix for the rest of my life. Some days it makes me puke after meals

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
Depends on how you look at it. Doc said I would need the surgery at some point, so it wasn't an emergency type deal. But I decided to get it because 1) The smaller it is when you have it taken care of, the easier recovery is and less time for it to heal correctly 2) Being I was now back in the gym after a 15 year layoff and pushing myself to the max, I didn't want to risk it becoming an emergency type situation.

Now if I was in your situation, theres no way I would/could deal with puking after meals and would have any issue causing such to be corrected. But thats just me.

Clipper83

Clipper83

Awards
  • Established
The recovery is the worst part imo. You can't move, can't ****, can't laugh...

Worth getting done though

IFEARSKINNYME

IFEARSKINNYME

Awards
What caused you to do this, stomach pain, nausea, etc, what was your breaking point?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just to clarify, a "hiatal" hernia and an "inguinal" hernia are a bit different.
I had an inguinal repair (rt side) with mesh over 18 or so years ago. I was in my 40's. I was away from heavy lifting for about 7 or so weeks I think.
It does not seem to have affected my ability over the years to lift, as I have in my 50's, worked up to #500x10 in the DL and up to heavy singles over 2 or so year period, with #600-#620 all done d/f.
Log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235781-chasin-gaynor.html