Chest and Biceps??

SlavicStrong

Awards
Was recommended by a person who claimed to be a trainer to do a split looking like this;

Day 1:Chest/Biceps
Day 2: Back/Triceps
Day 3: Legs/Shoulders

However, wouldn't that be overtraining? Triceps are used when doing chest, no? And doing biceps the day before back would make my back exercise weaker. Anywho, here is my idea of a "good split", tell me what you think

Day 1: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Day 2: Back/Biceps
Day 3: Legs/Shoulders

He claimed that by switching my workout up, and doing chest with biceps, triceps with back, and so on, I'd grow more, any thoughts?

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
Everybody is different, so what might be right for you, might not be right for some (Different Strokes tune).

Try it out for a month. Can't hurt

SlavicStrong

Awards
Everybody is different, so what might be right for you, might not be right for some (Different Strokes tune).

Try it out for a month. Can't hurt
I want to try it, but I fear overtraining might occur.

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
Switching it up can help also what the same thing you're saying about one body part being fatigued can go for your split as well I.e. Triceps will be more fatigued after hitting chest probably 30-45 minutes before the tri workout and then shoulders will definitely be done. So it applies both ways , but switching ur workouts up can help continue seeing results. Getting stuck in the chest/tri back/bi bro split can cause too much repetition and muscle memory . Honestly it's all thinking too deep into it just lift a lot of weight and eat a lot of chicken lol

SlavicStrong

Awards
Switching it up can help also what the same thing you're saying about one body part being fatigued can go for your split as well I.e. Triceps will be more fatigued after hitting chest probably 30-45 minutes before the tri workout and then shoulders will definitely be done. So it applies both ways , but switching ur workouts up can help continue seeing results. Getting stuck in the chest/tri back/bi bro split can cause too much repetition and muscle memory . Honestly it's all thinking too deep into it just lift a lot of weight and eat a lot of chicken lol
Okay, so do you think it won't be overtraining? Because my biceps are sore from the workout, and I'm not sure it's a good idea to do back, because they are secondary, and will break down even more.

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
Okay, so do you think it won't be overtraining? Because my biceps are sore from the workout, and I'm not sure it's a good idea to do back, because they are secondary, and will break down even more.
Nah ur good bro try it out see how it goes , if u want to grow just eat a lot of good food , training will just make sure you're growing in the right areas.

SlavicStrong

Awards
Nah ur good bro try it out see how it goes , if u want to grow just eat a lot of good food , training will just make sure you're growing in the right areas.
Have you ever done a split like this, or similar?

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
Yea, don't overthink it dude.

As long as your diet is on point and your allowing enough recovery time, you won't be over training.

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
Have you ever done a split like this, or similar?
Plenty of times , I've done all kinds of splits even full body 5 days a week. As said above , over-training isn't something to worry about a long as you're eating sufficiently you'll be good bro . Trying different stuff is good cuz ull find out what works best for you specifically instead of doing the same thing for way too long

SlavicStrong

Awards
I've been using this split for a few months and I'm enjoying it.
How do you break it up? Does it go something like,

Chest/Biceps
Back/Triceps
Legs/Shoulders
Off
Chest/Biceps
Back/Triceps
Legs/Shoulders

But I figured 6 days is too much, because triceps are used during chest, the day after chest, and a bit on the shoulder day, another variation could be;

Chest/Biceps
Back/Triceps
Legs/Shoulders
Off
Off
Chest/Biceps
Back/Triceps
Legs/Shoulders

Or if it isn't like this, how does yours look?

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whatever you like serious
I do PPL

1- chest and tri
2- back and bi
3-legs and shoulders
Repeat for 3 cycles -9 days straight then take a day off and repeat. Totally up to you
Usually do first 3 heavy then next three hypertrophy of next 6 hypertrophy.
I have been doing this for a while and never felt over trained since I keep my protein high

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
How do you break it up? Does it go something like,

Chest/Biceps
Back/Triceps
Legs/Shoulders
Off
Chest/Biceps
Back/Triceps
Legs/Shoulders

But I figured 6 days is too much, because triceps are used during chest, the day after chest, and a bit on the shoulder day, another variation could be;

Chest/Biceps
Back/Triceps
Legs/Shoulders
Off
Off
Chest/Biceps
Back/Triceps
Legs/Shoulders

Or if it isn't like this, how does yours look?
3 on 1 off. But I take an extra 7 days per month off ( when I'm working nights). Soon enough you barely get sore. Don't overthink it, just lift and the gains come!

SlavicStrong

Awards
Whatever you like serious
I do PPL

1- chest and tri
2- back and bi
3-legs and shoulders
Repeat for 3 cycles -9 days straight then take a day off and repeat. Totally up to you
Usually do first 3 heavy then next three hypertrophy of next 6 hypertrophy.
I have been doing this for a while and never felt over trained since I keep my protein high
9 days in a row training? Seems like a lot. I used to do 6 days in a row, but even then I felt like that might be too much on the body.

SlavicStrong

Awards
3 on 1 off. But I take an extra 7 days per month off ( when I'm working nights). Soon enough you barely get sore. Don't overthink it, just lift and the gains come!
Do you think the possibility of me overtraining is lower than most people? I am young, 16, and It's said everywhere we have the highest test production of our life, so wouldn't that help me recovery wise?

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
Do you think the possibility of me overtraining is lower than most people? I am young, 16, and It's said everywhere we have the highest test production of our life, so wouldn't that help me recovery wise?
Yea man everybody is different. Being so young you can probably train quite often with good volume

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Throw that over training bs out the door. There are many people here who train for competitions that train 3 hours a day 6x a week.
Eat big at 16 and lift heavy and often.

SlavicStrong

Awards
Throw that over training bs out the door. There are many people here who train for competitions that train 3 hours a day 6x a week.
Eat big at 16 and lift heavy and often.
About lifting heavy, I usually try to reach at least 8 reps on an exercise. For instance, on bench, I reached 185 for 8 reps, so now I moved up to 195, and can currently do it for 6 reps, and my goal is to get it up to 8. Anyways, an adult told me at the gym a nice trick to boost my bench was to do dumbbell press, since it would get my weaker chest/arm stronger, so I took his advice. I now do dumbbell bench press first, and can do 75 pounds on each arm for 8, so my next workouts, my goal is to do 80 pounds on each arm, and get them up to 8 reps, sound good?

I know 8 reps isn't considered heavy, but do you think it is a good way to build strength and build muscle? I heard strength is mostly 5 reps and under though.

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
Bro at 16 you could probably train all day every day and be fine definitely overthinking it man just crush the weights and eat a lot lol seriously. one guy I learned a lot from is locked up so for 10 hours a day all he does is workout no joke, he trains people in there so he is going all day , as you can imagine the food ain't the best but he is still peeled and good size. Overtraining isn't something easy to do .

SlavicStrong

Awards
Bro at 16 you could probably train all day every day and be fine definitely overthinking it man just crush the weights and eat a lot lol seriously. one guy I learned a lot from is locked up so for 10 hours a day all he does is workout no joke, he trains people in there so he is going all day , as you can imagine the food ain't the best but he is still peeled and good size. Overtraining isn't something easy to do .
You're probably right, over the summer, I used to train 6 days a week, and get this, in the 8 months I have been training, I am already bigger, and stronger than most of our football team. It took them years what I did in months. Also, when I told my friends I went 6 days I week, they all thought I was crazy and overdoing it.

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
You're probably right, over the summer, I used to train 6 days a week, and get this, in the 8 months I have been training, I am already bigger, and stronger than most of our football team. It took them years what I did in months. Also, when I told my friends I went 6 days I week, they all thought I was crazy and overdoing it.
Lol yeah it happens a lot from people reading about over training , when I started lifting 6-7 days a week I heard the same thing but it's actually what works best for me bro

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The issue isn't a matter of overtraining. The issue is recovery. You don't grow in the gym. Although you may be able to train day after day it doesn't mean you're growing. You'll make little progress in strength and size if you don't rest and recover.

Ever seen the guy who is always in the gym 7 days a week 20 sets for each muscle. Ever notice that after years of this he is in no different size or shape than when he started.

Don't be that guy.

SlavicStrong

Awards
The issue isn't a matter of overtraining. The issue is recovery. You don't grow in the gym. Although you may be able to train day after day it doesn't mean you're growing. You'll make little progress in strength and size if you don't rest and recover.

Ever seen the guy who is always in the gym 7 days a week 20 sets for each muscle. Ever notice that after years of this he is in no different size or shape than when he started.

Don't be that guy.
So would you say 2 days off after 3 days on is good? Or 3 on, 1 off?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not set in stone or the same for everyone. I want to do one more rep or 5lbs more every workout. If you aren't doing one or the other then you're not rested or eating enough or both.

Been training for 16 yrs and never ever go without a training log.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So would you say 2 days off after 3 days on is good? Or 3 on, 1 off?
Best way to find out is to just go and do it. What works for you is going to be different from what works for others and what works for you now might be different from what works for you a few years from now.

Zariph

Awards
Dude try it and see how you feel...Some people do best with only 3-4 times per week...then some dudes go every single damn day...no1 can answer this for you. Go for what you feel

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMHO the ability to perform at a frequency of "X" is not as important as the ability to perform with an increase in workload.

The take home message being is my performance increased or diminished at frequency "X". If it isn't then what's the point?

SlavicStrong

Awards
IMHO the ability to perform at a frequency of "X" is not as important as the ability to perform with an increase in workload.

The take home message being is my performance increased or diminished at frequency "X". If it isn't then what's the point?
I guess, had an EXCELLENT workout today. I did chest/triceps, but might do chest/biceps, idk. Last Chest workout, I did 75 pound dumbbell press in each arm for 8 reps, today I bumped it up to 80 pounds, and got 10 reps.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I guess when you're 16 and training for six months that's pretty common. Get back to me in 3 to 5 years and see how linear that isn't...

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I guess, had an EXCELLENT workout today. I did chest/triceps, but might do chest/biceps, idk. Last Chest workout, I did 75 pound dumbbell press in each arm for 8 reps, today I bumped it up to 80 pounds, and got 10 reps.
You can always switch it up as well. Maybe do chest/triceps one week and then chest/bicep the next week.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I choose to hit arms alone. Not with chest/back. I work chest and back together on the same day twice a week.