Throwing up after a workout

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
I've been pushing myself pretty hard in the gym. I've been hitting PRs in nearly every set nearly once a week.

The last few workouts, I felt pretty bad nausea by the end. And, in some cases stopped early because I felt I'd overdone it.

My most recent workout was legs and I hit it HARD. Every set to failure in the 8 to 12 rep range. Again, I had to stop before the last two exercises because I was starting to feel sick. And, in fact, 4 minutes into my drive home I had to pull over and vomit. I figure I lost about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of stomach content.

I worked out at 1 and my only intake prior to that was a protein shake (with some fruit) at 10am and jpx8 / Nos Ether at noon.

I also took Nutra Innovations Burn Xtreme at 10a.

So, the experience left me with some questions.

* Is it bad to get sick at the end of a workout? Or, does it mean I gave it my all?

* Would it be better to hold back on some of my early sets so I'm well enough to finish the entire workout? Or, is it better to give it everything I've got on every exercise and trust that my body will adjust over time and I'll eventually be able to get through the entire workout?

* I've read conflicting advice about eating before a workout and sort of fell on the side of it's better to give the muscles the nutrients they need. Most advice seems to suggest that you need to have some protein and carbs relatively close to the workout in order for the muscles to benefit from it. But, I had my shake 3 hours before my workout and when I threw up, it was clearly my shake that came out. So, is there an adjustment I should make so I'm getting the nutrients my muscles need while not causing digestion problems during my workout?

BTW, I'm 55 years old and after being very inconsistent with my workouts and diet over the last several years, have been quite consistent in the gym for about 7 months. So, I don't think this nausea can be attributed to my body not being used to lifting.

Bodybeast

Awards
  • Established
I get this whenever I don't have enough solid food before my workout. You over do it for the amount of energy you have which is low to begin with without food. Maybe try eating something solid before your workout

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
I get this whenever I don't have enough solid food before my workout. You over do it for the amount of energy you have which is low to begin with without food. Maybe try eating something solid before your workout
So you think it might be because I only have liquid in my stomach? I was thinking solids would cause even more digestive problems. No?

How soon before a workout would you have solids? And what's ideal to eat? And how much?

Bodybeast

Awards
  • Established
So you think it might be because I only have liquid in my stomach? I was thinking solids would cause even more digestive problems. No?

How soon before a workout would you have solids? And what's ideal to eat? And how much?
Most people eat some kind of carb source before working out ESPECIALLY if you're going to have a hard, heavy workout. You need glycogen storage in your muscles to perform optimally. No carbs for over 12 hours means that storage is depleted and working out on top of it is bound to make anyone sick.

Usually 1.5-2 hours pre-workout is fine. That's what I do but I also digest slowly so just play with the timing till it works right. Too close to workout time will make you feel lethargic and possibly sick, but enough space will allow you to do those workouts.

A banana 45 minutes pre-workout is good. Oats or toast with peanut butter are also good in the morning for glycogen replenishment
Even a bowl of cereal 1.5 hours pre-workout would work. Protein shakes have too few carbs to be a good source

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Well, 3 hours prior to my workout, I had a protein shake with 1/2 a banana, 1 orange, and 4 frozen strawberries. So, that was plenty of carbs, but it was liquified. And, 3 hours prior. But, it was clear a good portion of that shake was still in my stomach.

Bodybeast

Awards
  • Established
Well, 3 hours prior to my workout, I had a protein shake with 1/2 a banana, 1 orange, and 4 frozen strawberries. So, that was plenty of carbs, but it was liquified. And, 3 hours prior. But, it was clear a good portion of that shake was still in my stomach.
Orange and strawberries don't provide that much. Compared to a slice of toast with peanut butter that's a huge difference

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Cool. I'll try that. Thanks!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You've already gotten great advice, but I second some more carbs closer to before your workout. I tend to do protein powder mixed with cream of rice about an hour before.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
You've already gotten great advice, but I second some more carbs closer to before your workout. I tend to do protein powder mixed with cream of rice about an hour before.
My challenge is that my PWO is JPX8 and Nos Ether. Label says not to combine with protein. I guess I can do some solid carbs with the PWO. Maybe the toast and PB suggested above.

I wonder if the caution against combining with protein applies to the protein in peanut butter.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How soon before training do you take your pre? You'll have to ask the Diesel guys for clarification on why they say not to take with protein.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Well, the day I threw up, I had a Gold Standard shake w/ some fruit at 10a, JPX8/Nos Ether at 12p (taken over 30 minute timeframe), and worked out at 1p.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It could simply be that the pres are what bugging your stomach... since food is a very natural thing to be digesting, and you're having it far away from your workout, it makes more sense that the pre is the issue.

Drop it completely for a workout and see how it goes.

MuscleTrap

Awards
I'm 50 yrs old and pumping iron is my lifestyle.. it sounds to me like you started BioIdentical hormone therapy.. now that you are working out your body is not used to the extra blood flow to the muscle tissue. When you drink the preworkout your stomach starts to work to digest it and break it down, you are stealing that blood flow to engourge your muscles to pump. Your stomach reacts by emptying the contents. As your muscles grow, your body should react over time, and get better. A side note as we age we have a harder time dealing with some preworkouts I stick with no stim to low stim pre's

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, MuscleTrap. I don't know what BioIdentical hormone therapy is, but I AM taking 11KT-Spray and Invictus.

I've been working out consistently -- and to failure each set -- since May, so it seems unlikely that only now is my body struggling with the extra blood flow to the muscles.

My preworkout drink (jpx8 and nos either) are relatively stim free.

I'm 50 yrs old and pumping iron is my lifestyle.. it sounds to me like you started BioIdentical hormone therapy.. now that you are working out your body is not used to the extra blood flow to the muscle tissue. When you drink the preworkout your stomach starts to work to digest it and break it down, you are stealing that blood flow to engourge your muscles to pump. Your stomach reacts by emptying the contents. As your muscles grow, your body should react over time, and get better. A side note as we age we have a harder time dealing with some preworkouts I stick with no stim to low stim pre's

MuscleTrap

Awards
I'm running a bulk cycle right now, and I don't see a successful leg day unless I puke once.. I think I've used every preworkout there is out there, I've had the best success so far with a mix of half scoop GAT NitraFlex, and full scoop Nitr-Ox I've been using this for 2 weeks workout 8 on 2 off daily splits, and while I fight a little nausea here and there no pukes..

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried working out while fasted? I find not only am I more lethargic if I workout after consuming food, but I also tend to feel less nauseous.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the idea that it's just the natural outcome of pushing my body to its limit.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried working out while fasted? I find not only am I more lethargic if I workout after consuming food, but I also tend to feel less nauseous.
I used to work out fasted but it was strongly recommended that I stop doing that so my muscles have the stuff they need for building.

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
I used to work out fasted but it was strongly recommended that I stop doing that so my muscles have the stuff they need for building.
Not sure that's the only way to manage that. I'm no expert, but I take HMB along with a quality PWO (RagNOrok) and intra (RPG). I then follow with a quality protein shake (PES or USP, mostly) post workout. Haven't had an issue adding muscle and dropping fat while working out in a fasted state.

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the idea that it's just the natural outcome of pushing my body to its limit.
I don't generally feel really nauseous unless I push insanely hard. I think it was way back when I first tried P90X Plyometrics the last time I actually went and heaved over a toilet. Bonus for working out fasted? There was almost nothing in there to throw up besides the pre. :)

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
I'm confused, Haba. How is it working out fasted if you have a PWO?

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
Supplements aren't food. Unless you're taking something loaded with carbs, I don't believe a PWO or BCAA/EAA product counts as breaking a fast. I consider it breaking the fast when the post workout shake goes down the hatch...

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
OK. Well, today is bicep/tricep. I didn't have a protein shake. I'm still fasted. It's 12:30p. I'll take my jpx8/nos ether and go work out in an hour.

I'll report back. Though since this is smaller muscles, I may not have the same level of stress as when I did legs.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Oops. yeah, I forgot to post back.

I pushed it HARD. Made improvements in reps or weight or both in every exercise.

No nausea, but I did start burping around the last 4 sets.

I felt no noticeable loss in energy or strength by going in fasted.

I'll try that again on my next few workouts to see if I get similar results when I hit the bigger muscles (legs / back).

And BOY, did I hit the arms hard. That was Friday. Today is Monday and my arms are STILL sore. It feels like my workout was yesterday!

Plus, I seemed to have done something to my shoulders. I have very low range of motion and some minor pain and twinges when I reach with my arms at various angles or positions.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Do you take fish oil or an omega supplement?
I do, but I confess to not being consistent enough. I'll add it to my reminder app.

What doses and frequency do you recommend?

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
Oops. yeah, I forgot to post back.

I pushed it HARD. Made improvements in reps or weight or both in every exercise.

No nausea, but I did start burping around the last 4 sets.

I felt no noticeable loss in energy or strength by going in fasted.

I'll try that again on my next few workouts to see if I get similar results when I hit the bigger muscles (legs / back).

And BOY, did I hit the arms hard. That was Friday. Today is Monday and my arms are STILL sore. It feels like my workout was yesterday!

Plus, I seemed to have done something to my shoulders. I have very low range of motion and some minor pain and twinges when I reach with my arms at various angles or positions.
Are you taking anything intra-workout? A quality BCAA and EAA intra can certainly help with recovery and soreness. Ask Studhorse ryane87 and hairygrandpa! :)

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
I do, but I confess to not being consistent enough. I'll add it to my reminder app.

What doses and frequency do you recommend?
I personally dose 1 CL Oximega 3x/day for 3000mg total omega3. Breaks down to 1200mg EPA / 600mg DHA. I think you'll find many different opinions on dosage. Personally I'd just try and see what works for you.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
RPG is outstanding. I have been pushing harder each week and no DOMS. I train fasted as well. I handle reasonable volume in the amount of time that I have.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
RPG is outstanding. I have been pushing harder each week and no DOMS. I train fasted as well. I handle reasonable volume in the amount of time that I have.
What's RPG?

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
I did Back and abs, today. That's one of the muscle groups that has caused me nausea in the past.

Today, I trained fasted, with 1.75 sc JPX8 PWO.

I brought 2 sc Nos Ether with me mixed in 12 oz water.

About half way through the workout, I sipped on Nos Ether between muscle groups.

When I got to my 3rd set of abs, I was starting to feel I was reaching my limit. But never felt like I was going to throw up.

I drank most of the rest of Nos Ether on the drive home and the final half cup once I got home.

I'm feeling quite good right now.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
What's RPG?
The pre/intra/post workout drink habajaba referenced earlier made by MST. BCAA/EAA mix with glutamine and a mix of NAC and various berry extracts. Very awesome product. He could give you better detail than I could

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
habajaba, are you still looking for anyone to log MST RPG? The write up looks pretty impressive. And Ryan seems to love it.

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
habajaba, are you still looking for anyone to log MST RPG? The write up looks pretty impressive. And Ryan seems to love it.
Unfortunately no more loggers right now. But I'd highly recommend giving it a whirl. Or at least watch the 3 logs going on to see how they go.

You can find full details and order at -
https://millenniumsport.net/products/rpg-bcaa-new-limited-stock/

Don't forget that I have a 50% off coupon in my sig when ordering!

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Do you have links to the three logs?

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
What differences and/or similarities are there between RPG and JP8X / Nos Ether.

These are what I currently take pre and post workout. I'm enjoying them, so far.

Would RPG replace them? What advantages does it over over one or both of them?

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
What differences and/or similarities are there between RPG and JP8X / Nos Ether.

These are what I currently take pre and post workout. I'm enjoying them, so far.

RPG wouldn't necessarily replace any of them, especially if you like your stims. It's more of an addition. Especially since you train fasted. You see more of a benefit than most.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

what ryane87 said. this is a all Natural BCAA / Antioxident blend I sip it intra workout. it really helps me get through my long workouts and I'm not so tired I cant walk out of the gym. and as ryane87 said it really helps with the DOM's

50 Servings Bubba Punch
Serving Size12Gram(Onescoop)
Servings Per Container50
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 0
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
Sugar 0g %
Protein 0g 0%
RPG Ajipure® IBCAA® 2:1:1 5000mg †
L-Leucine 2500mg
L-Isoleucine 1250mg
L-Valine 1250mg
L-Glutamine (100% Ajipure®) 2500mg †
EAA Complete Recovery Blend 1000mg †
L-Lysine
L-Arginine
L-Histidine
L-Threonine
L-Methionine
L-Phenylalanine
L-Tryptophan
RecovORAC Matrix™ 1000mg †
Proprietary Antioxidant Blend Of: Dark Cherry Powder, N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC), Orotic Acid, Acerola Berry Powder, Blueberry Juice Powder

Benefits of RPG & Ajipure® Aminos include:
Maximize Recovery*
Support Lean Muscle Mass*
Complete Essential Amino Acid Blend
Glutamine Enhanced
Whole Food Antioxidant Support*
Tastes Great And Mixes Instantly
Quicker Dissolution In Water
High Quality Purity
Better Effects With Less Product*
Non-Animal Sourced

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I went through your log, Studhorse. Very impressive results and your enthusiasm for how it made you feel in the gym was contagious!

Thanks!
ryane87, you have a log, too?

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I went through your log, Studhorse. Very impressive results and your enthusiasm for how it made you feel in the gym was contagious!

Thanks!
Yes sir. Give me a minute and I will post

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Thanks!
I'm deferentially loving this stuff and I'm very picky with my supplements being Natty. Very few over the last 35 years have ever impressed me.
Like I told habajaba if he picks me be prepared for me to be honest.... the company may not like what I have to say.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
I'm deferentially loving this stuff and I'm very picky with my supplements being Natty. Very few over the last 35 years have ever impressed me.
Like I told habajaba if he picks me be prepared for me to be honest.... the company may not like what I have to say.
What else have you used over the years that you loved? PM me if that's hijacking the thread.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What else have you used over the years that you loved? PM me if that's hijacking the thread.
What is currently on the market.
1. Follidrone 2.0 I put on 3 lbs. and lost 2% BF in 8 weeks and my diet was less than clean.
2. Iron Legion Virtus and Invictus. awesome TD (watch the Virtus it dropped my estrogen too low at the Min. suggested dose of .5ml.
Both on sale @ Nutriplanet
FD2 is 20% off a 2 bottle combo. you have to put it in your cart to see the Discount.
Iron Legion stuff is 15 or 20% cant remember.
(matter of fact search Iron Legion here on AM I think I saw 50% off)

Currently using BPS Androcrine.
Really helping my bad shoulder and helping me put on a little more size than when I use nothing. FireTitan can hook you up with a discount code I think.

My next 8 week workout I'm going to be logging DIESEL™ TEST PRO-CYCLE V3
and still hit the Androcrine.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
You took Invictus and Virtus together? For some reason, I was thinking they should be in separate cycles. I was taking them together and I feel like someone suggested they were conflicting with each other, so I just went to Invictus. Maybe I should go back to both?

I just received a stack of Get Diesel stuff, including Raw Test, Test Hardcore, and Ready4War. I plan to start that some time in January.

BPS Androcrine sounds interesting. I don't have a shoulder INJURY, per se, but they ARE sensitive and they complain during some exercises. And, I have very limited ROM after most workouts. AND, they tend to twinge on me when I reach my arms at certain angles. You think the BPS Androcrine would help with that?

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You took Invictus and Virtus together? For some reason, I was thinking they should be in separate cycles. I was taking them together and I feel like someone suggested they were conflicting with each other, so I just went to Invictus. Maybe I should go back to both?

I just received a stack of Get Diesel stuff, including Raw Test, Test Hardcore, and Ready4War. I plan to start that some time in January.

BPS Androcrine sounds interesting. I don't have a shoulder INJURY, per se, but they ARE sensitive and they complain during some exercises. And, I have very limited ROM after most workouts. AND, they tend to twinge on me when I reach my arms at certain angles. You think the BPS Androcrine would help with that?
Take them together.

you going to log the Diesel stuff?

BPS Androcrine really helps with the inflammation and the healing process. hard to say it would help you or not.
almost sounds like you need to watch your form before you get injured.

Suggestions If you are into studying form and exercises. Wish I would of had this information 20 + years ago.
Suggestion: This guy Jeff Cavaliere has helped me a bunch. when you get some time watch these and try to incorporate. every lifter should be doing shoulder rotator cuff exercises at least 2 times a week. do them at the end of your workout when you already have the blood flowing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBR4N95asKo

Shoulder exercises to keep your shoulders healthy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuork9xMYDE

More good ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw3r2lytys8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sNYB1Q6aM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Y3WDY1tUo

WAF

WAF

Awards
Kaprice I usually would puke after a hard work out. I tend to train like my life depends on it though, and i've asked this before to a few coaches and elite bodybuilders. It doesn't matter how long you've been training for if you pushing your body beyond it's normal known limit's it will happen. With heavy weights low rest time, and supersets till you can't move it doesn't surprise me it's like putting your body into shock. Now if your puking every workout with low or moderate intensity than id be looking at it closer.