light weight for reps vs heavy weight for muscle building

  1. light weight for reps vs heavy weight for muscle building


    i get asked this question a lot and i believe that if you're trying to build quality dense muscle you should train heavier 6-10 rep range. i see a lot of guys these days go for the light weight high rep range to get that "pump" which is fine but when they diet down for a show they seem to "deflate". i know this all is determined on diet and gear but in general when i see guys who train heavier and they diet down they seem to hold a harder and more dense physique. what are your guys thoughts and opinions?


  2. I am really big on Volume..
    •   
       


  3. It is science. You have three types of muscle fibers that respond to specific methods of training. You have fibers that allow you explosive strength, endurance and mass. Then you have genetics to look at. Generally what I would recommend, for pure strength go the low rep high weight method that powerlifters love. If you want to work on your physique you need to look at hypertrophic exercises which would sit in the high range of reps. However if we look at the percentages you really shouldn't be pushing above lets say 75% of your max for 15reps. It leaves you more prone to injury.

    So long story short, since your post is more specific to physique I would go high rep, and appropriate amount of weight but leave days where you can go low rep but closer to 1rm.

    Hope that helps.

  4. Here's the short version. The best training method for maximal muscle building would be to phase your training and incorporate both types of training. Heavy weight and light weight each elicit specific adaptations in the body that will complement each other and promote long term progress. The body will adapt and progress will slow down if you only stick to one training style.

    If you're interested in the long scientific explanation I can post it

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Killcure666 View Post
    Here's the short version. The best training method for maximal muscle building would be to phase your training and incorporate both types of training. Heavy weight and light weight each elicit specific adaptations in the body that will complement each other and promote long term progress. The body will adapt and progress will slow down if you only stick to one training style.

    If you're interested in the long scientific explanation I can post it

    what about small muscle groups vs big muscle groups. for ex, biceps vs back. do you still train arms super heavy some days? there is a lot of talk out there that the smaller muscle groups don't need that heavy training??
    •   
       


  6. My aim is volume as well. From what I've learned and heard for maximal hypertrophy, there's a few things I keep in mind. Time under tension: I've been recently implementing a longer TUT for each set. Having the total TUT being 32-37 seconds. Usually my first set(maybe two) will be a strength set(fast twitch fibers, 8-12 reps, faster pace concentric and mid pace eccentric), then my other 2-3 sets will be 14 reps with 35 sec TUT and full ROM.

  7. Also hitting the muscle every other day...hitting it 2 sometimes 3 times a week

  8. Quote Originally Posted by pike place View Post
    what about small muscle groups vs big muscle groups. for ex, biceps vs back. do you still train arms super heavy some days? there is a lot of talk out there that the smaller muscle groups don't need that heavy training??
    That's total bro science. The same principles apply for small muscle groups as the physiological mechanisms that result in muscle growth are the same regardless of where the muscle cells are in a large muscle group like the back or small muscles like the biceps.

    Light weights heavy reps will increase mitochondrial density and metabolic enzymes in the muscle and increases muscular work capacity. Heavy weights will increase contractile proteins in the muscle and improve neuromuscular recruitment which leads to increased strength. Both of these adaptations complement one another and result in optimal muscle growth.

    The only truth I see to the argument about different muscle groups needing different training stimuli would be that some muscle groups are primarily type 1 slow twitch muscle fibers while others are primarily type 2 fast twitch muscle fibers. In which case you could do more heavy weight with the fast twitch at more light weight for the slow twitch but this is getting to the point of splitting hairs and I don't think it'd make that big of a difference as far as gains go.

    Simply focus on progressive overload with volume (Increasing weight, reps and sets over time), and phasing your training by focusing on one adaptation at a time. Do heavy weight low reps only for 4-6 weeks followed by 4-6 weeks of light weight high reps and repeat with a deloading week between phases.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Robistro View Post
    Also hitting the muscle every other day...hitting it 2 sometimes 3 times a week
    This 100%

    Frequency is one of the most important, if not the most important, training principle for increasing muscle mass and strength. Aim to hit a muscle group 2-3 times per week. Full body workouts work great for doing this

  10. For strength I've been on the 55 workout. Built some mass as well. Then again, it definitely helps with test e and tbol!
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    [email protected] ons.com

  11. For muscle mass gains I recently started with low weight high reps but now my program consists of working sets with moderate weight that's able to be controlled but heavy enough for a good stretch! I will do high reps with the ending 20 reps being forced up usually by partner or using cheat form. I just recently started every Sunday to go for singles with 100% max rep weight to try and increase strength gains

  12. I hit back, chest and legs twice a week. One workout is heavy compound lifts, the other is high rep, high volume, drop sets/ super sets. Love it.
    Performax Labs Product Specialist


  13. I can not stand full body training or upper/lower splits, I love smashing each body part on certain days... Lately I have been incorporating Low and High reps and I feel as though I'm losing BF% and getting swole muscles too.

    I normally start the bodypart with a compound exercise, so for back obviously I got deadlifts (warm up first then go 1x12/1x10/2x5/4x1) then follow with 2-3 exercises at 3-4x6-10 depending on my energy, then I will finish with 3x12-15 on some kind of isolate exercise... dat pump is amazing

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Sparta12 View Post
    I can not stand full body training or upper/lower splits, I love smashing each body part on certain days... Lately I have been incorporating Low and High reps and I feel as though I'm losing BF% and getting swole muscles too.

    I normally start the bodypart with a compound exercise, so for back obviously I got deadlifts (warm up first then go 1x12/1x10/2x5/4x1) then follow with 2-3 exercises at 3-4x6-10 depending on my energy, then I will finish with 3x12-15 on some kind of isolate exercise... dat pump is amazing
    I'm 100% in agreement with you.
    Performax Labs Product Specialist


  15. I like heavy weight but it depends on what you want strength is different for everyone. I've seen guys that could lift alot but couldn't hold light weight for very long ( think isometrics) I think you should round out you're work out varying weights and add cardio. That being said if all you want is to do bench or if you only want to curl whatever it is that makes you happy you should enjoy it . This is a lifestyle that is made up of punishing ourselves so we have to learn how we enjoy it.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. HydroBuiler Vs. Heavy Weight Gainer 900...WTF?
    By Chris1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2013, 11:19 PM
  2. Blood flow vs heavy weight training
    By badnews09 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM
  3. What to do for Knee Pain from Heavy Weight
    By schwellington in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 08:38 PM
  4. Fenugreek For Blood Sugar and Weight Management
    By idunk42 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 10:29 PM
  5. ? for IA - Martial Arts + Weights
    By MrBean in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Log in
Log in