Super set craziness - too much volume?

L

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
Hi Guys,

I always been training each body part once per week doing a 4 days split, however I really want to do something new and I decided to work out each body part twice per week and use a lot of super-sets to keep the workout pretty intense.
However, I never done such a routine, therefore I am not sure if I am going to the right direction.

The routine I put together is the one below,

Monday: Upper Body
•Incline Dumbbell press: 4x8-6
Wide Grip Pullups: 4x8-6

•Hammer Strength Incline Chest Press: 3x8
Hammer Strength Row: 3x8

•Decline Bench press Smith Machine: 3x 8-6
Barbell Row: 3x8-6
•High Cable Flies: 3x12-10

•Lateral rises: 3x10
Bent Over Lateral Rises: 3x10

•Dumbbell pullover: 3x12-10

•Barbell curl: 3x8-6
Barbell French press: 3x8-6

•Triceps Push down: 3x10
Cable Barbell Curl: 3x10

Tuesday: Lower Body (Quads focus)
•Squat: 5x8-4
•Leg Press: 3x10-8
•Leg Extension: 5x10-8
•Dumbbell Step ups: 3x10-8
•Standing Calf Press: 3x 15-12
•Seated Calf Press (at leg press machine): 3x12
•ABS
Thursday: Upper Body
•Seated military press: 4x10-6

•Lateral Rises: 4x 10
Bent Over Lateral rises: 4x10

•Barbell Frontal Rises: 3x10-8
Barbell Upright Tow: 3x10-8

•Incline Barbell Chest Press: 4x8
Lat pull down wide Grip: 4x8

•Flat Dumbbell press: 3x8
Tbar Row: 3x8

•Incline Dumbbell Fly: 3x10-8
Face pull: 3x10

•Push ups: 3x12
Back Extension: 3x12

•Barbell Preacher Curl: 3x10-8
Dumbbell triceps extension: 3x10-8

•Hummer Curl: 3x8
Dumbbell French press: 3x8

Lower Body (Ham and Glutes Focus)
•Wide squat: 5x10-8
•Deadlift: 5x5
•Romanian Deadlift: 3x 10
•Leg Curl: 3x10
•Walking Lunges: 3x12-10
•Hip trust: 3x10
•ABS

I appreciate any feedback you may have!

W

walkere6884

Awards
I read a study once that said the optimal total reps for high volume training. If I remember correctly it worked out to be somewhere in the 25-30 sets of 8-10 reps per day maximum. I wish I had the study to cite on hand. I will try to locate it and post it here. But just at first glance, I cannot imagine doing 45-50 sets in one workout. Towards the end I would imagine you run out of gas...unless you are on some sort of PED I would lower the volume on the days you have listed with 40+ sets. Will attempt to find that study for you...

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
I read a study once that said the optimal total reps for high volume training. If I remember correctly it worked out to be somewhere in the 25-30 sets of 8-10 reps per day maximum. I wish I had the study to cite on hand. I will try to locate it and post it here. But just at first glance, I cannot imagine doing 45-50 sets in one workout. Towards the end I would imagine you run out of gas...unless you are on some sort of PED I would lower the volume on the days you have listed with 40+ sets. Will attempt to find that study for you...
I agree with this. 45 sets is just brutal. You're doing like 40 sets per week just for chest. Some people claim they have no problem recovering from that though, so maybe it depends on the individual. I cannot see myself doing that and getting stronger though. I would still be interested in seeing that study on volume training though.

L

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback.

I did adjusted few little things and I made it as below. I am still thinking on how to reduce the volume a bit more in the second upper body day tho

Monday: Upper Body
•Incline Dumbbell press: 4x8-6
Wide Grip Pullups: 4x8-6
•Flat Bench press Smith Machine: 3x 8-6
Barbell Row: 3x8-6
•Incline Dumbbell flies: 3x10-8
T-Bar Row: 3x8
•Dumbbell pullover: 3x12-10
•Lateral rises: 3x10
Bent Over Lateral Rises: 3x10
•Shrugs: 3x12-10
•Barbell curl: 3x8-6
Barbell French press: 3x8-6
•Triceps Push down: 3x10
Cable Barbell Curl: 3x10

Tuesday: Lower Body (Quads focus)
•Squat: 5x8-4
•Leg Press: 3x10-8
•Leg Extension: 5x10-8
•Dumbbell Step ups: 3x10-8
•ABS

Thursday: Upper Body
•Seated military press: 4x10-6
•Lateral Rises: 4x 10
•Barbell Frontal Rises: 3x10-8
Barbell Upright Tow: 3x10-8
•Incline Chest press: 4x8
Lat Pull Down: 4x8
•Decline Dumbbell Press: 3x8
Hummer Strength Row: 3x8
•Cable Fly: 3x10-8
Face pull: 3x10
•Barbell Preacher Curl: 3x10-8
Dumbbell triceps extension: 3x10-8
•Hummer Curl: 3x8
Dumbbell French press: 3x8

Lower Body (Ham and Glutes Focus)
•Wide squat: 5x10-8
•Deadlift: 5x5
•Romanian Deadlift: 3x 10
•Leg Curl: 3x10
•Walking Lunges: 3x12-10
•Hip trust: 3x10
•ABS

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
I read a study once that said the optimal total reps for high volume training. If I remember correctly it worked out to be somewhere in the 25-30 sets of 8-10 reps per day maximum. I wish I had the study to cite on hand..
i read a similar study. OP , just reading your workout makes me feel tired for you! if you can muster through that , you are a beast. I think you can cut it down some and still get great results. How long are your sessions? are you going relatively light in weight? If you're weights were light enough, i can see how this may be possible. even still, take a bit of a breather :)

L

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
i read a similar study. OP , just reading your workout makes me feel tired for you! if you can muster through that , you are a beast. I think you can cut it down some and still get great results. How long are your sessions? are you going relatively light in weight? If you're weights were light enough, i can see how this may be possible. even still, take a bit of a breather :)
I always worked with high volume, therefore my stamina is pretty high. My workouts generally last about 75 min (plus 30 min stretchering, conditioning). I go pretty heavy with my routine: constantly about between 75% and 90%. Very rarely I go to failure tho.

L

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
I always worked with high volume, therefore my stamina is pretty high. My workouts generally last about 75 min (plus 30 min stretchering, conditioning). I go pretty heavy with my routine: constantly about between 75% and 90%. Very rarely I go to failure tho.