Ab workouts

JustinCR

Awards
How often do you guys trains abs? How do you fit abs if you guys perform heavy compound lifts (deadlift, squat, etc)

bigmacdaddy18

bigmacdaddy18

Awards
Everyday. Warm up on bike for 15 minutes followed by 150 misc. ab reps. Then body is ready to lift and the lower back is stretched from the ab movements.

walkere6884

Awards
Everyday. Warm up on bike for 15 minutes followed by 150 misc. ab reps. Then body is ready to lift and the lower back is stretched from the ab movements.
Similar to this...except I walk on an incline for 5-10 min, just enough to get a sweat going, then do 5-10 min of normal abdominal exercises. Great way to warmup and get the blood flowing. Also, I will do one workout using weights per week. Usually something like weighted leg raises drop sets, cable crunches drop sets, side twists, etc. Enough to where when I'm finishing them off and squeeze extra hard, they start to cramp and catch. Hard feeling to describe, but you know it when you feel it.

JustinCR

Awards
Similar to this...except I walk on an incline for 5-10 min, just enough to get a sweat going, then do 5-10 min of normal abdominal exercises. Great way to warmup and get the blood flowing. Also, I will do one workout using weights per week. Usually something like weighted leg raises drop sets, cable crunches drop sets, side twists, etc. Enough to where when I'm finishing them off and squeeze extra hard, they start to cramp and catch. Hard feeling to describe, but you know it when you feel it.
Yeah I know what you mean by that although it takes me a few days to recover when I finish them off like that

bigmacdaddy18

bigmacdaddy18

Awards
On leg day I do cardio right after. My thought is increased blood flow aides in recovery. Cardio increases blood flow. 30 minutes, low intensity and the recuperation process gets jump started. I learned that from Rich Gaspari.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
I train them once a week after one of my workouts but I only do 3 sets max. I don't really see the need to do much more than this because my abs are extremely exhausted by the end of my workouts. I have a lower back injury so I make sure I keep my abs engaged throughout my entire workout - by the end they are pretty much shot! So I don't really do much ab isolation stuff but I'm still working them out.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do them last on lower days...kinda like on upper days I do bis/tris last.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
i do them daily. 3 sets of hanging leg raises and then i sneak in some side bends (is that what those are called?!) whenever i can throughout my session