training for hypertrophy and strength?

buttersstoch

buttersstoch

Awards
I am trying to come up with a program for my self that will yeild strength gains on the big 4 compound lifts (bench, squat,deadlift, over head press) but also add as much mass as possible. would doing something like 5/3/1 or 5x5 for the main lifts and then 3x15 for 4 or 5 assistance exercises give good results for both goals? or would i be better off focusing on one goal?

would look something like this:

monday:
bench press for strength
incline bench 3x15
chest flys 3x15
close grip bench 3x15
skull crushers 3x15

Tuesday:
squat for strength
legpress 3x15
leg extensions 3x15
hamstring curls 3x15
calf raises 3x20

wendsday:
OHP for strength
arnold presses 3x15
cable raises 3x15
lateral raises 3x15
face pulls 3x15

thursday:
deadlift for strength
bentover rows 3x15
pull ups 3 sets till failure
lat pull downs 3x15
dumbell rows 3x15

would something like this be sufficient for both goals? hoping some one out there could give me some one insight on this program. thank you

maxtorres91

Awards
Have you ever looked into layne norton's programs ?

briandward1

Awards
15 reps isn't really going to give you a whole lot for strength. The pump will be nice but traditionally a good balance between hypertrophy and strength is 5-10 reps.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just follow 5/3/1 and use the accessory templates. There is plenty of room for hypertrophy with the templates wendler already has laid out in beyond 5/3/1.

Edit:

Example squat day of a template i know is in there.

5/3/1 squat
5x8-15 front squats/squat variation/leg press i guess
5x8-15 poster chain compound (RDL, etc)
3x10-20 iso (ex: leg extension)
3x10-20 iso (leg curl, ghr, etc)
3x10-20 iso (calves, pull throughs, whatever)

There is plenty of room for hypertrophy there. And you arent binding yourself to one rep #. On the 2 compounds following the main work i would do 5x10 on 3s week, 5x12 on 5s week, 5x8 on 1s week.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Double post

maxtorres91

Awards
I am trying to come up with a program for my self that will yeild strength gains on the big 4 compound lifts (bench, squat,deadlift, over head press) but also add as much mass as possible. would doing something like 5/3/1 or 5x5 for the main lifts and then 3x15 for 4 or 5 assistance exercises give good results for both goals? or would i be better off focusing on one goal?

would look something like this:

monday:
bench press for strength
incline bench 3x15
chest flys 3x15
close grip bench 3x15
skull crushers 3x15

Tuesday:
squat for strength
legpress 3x15
leg extensions 3x15
hamstring curls 3x15
calf raises 3x20

wendsday:
OHP for strength
arnold presses 3x15
cable raises 3x15
lateral raises 3x15
face pulls 3x15

thursday:
deadlift for strength
bentover rows 3x15
pull ups 3 sets till failure
lat pull downs 3x15
dumbell rows 3x15

would something like this be sufficient for both goals? hoping some one out there could give me some one insight on this program. thank you
Have you ever looked into layne norton's programs?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
PHAT = a must try with these goals

Google it, tweak it (not a lot) to suit your goals if necessary, run it 10 weeks +

maxtorres91

Awards
Yup phat fits what you are looking for just make sure to take some joint health supps because it can be rough on the joints after a while

briandward1

Awards
I've been doing the PHAT program for the last few weeks and I have to say-it's excellent.

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
I was about to post something similar but looks like PHAT is the way to go . My current split is heavy pyramids on first day of muscle group for the week pyramid to a heavy double or triple then a 5x5 a few days later for the 2nd workout of the week for that muscle group. My current lifts are 375 bench, 375 squat, and 500 deadlift. My goals are to hit a 405 bench a 500 squat and a 600 deadlift. Any help is appreciated thanks

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There is a variation of 5/3/1 called Boring But Big which I'm going to give a go here soon. It fits your requirements. Check it out.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
There is a variation of 5/3/1 called Boring But Big which I'm going to give a go here soon. It fits your requirements. Check it out.
I second 5/3/1 boring but big.....i did it for 6 month and i added size....but u have to eat to grow

Brandon25

Awards
I'm looking to change my program also. I've been running this one for about 8-12 months and have really seen great progress just looking to switch it up. I recommend this doing just about anybody. Can somebody link me a good routine to switch to. Here's what I'm doing now.

Upper Lower Split

Monday- Upper
2 warm up sets bench 1st set 25% of total weight 2nd set 50% of total
4x4 flat bench
4x4 bent over rows
2x6 shoulder press
2x8 tricep press
2x8 bicep curl
2x8 incline hammer grip press
2x8 lat pulldowns

Tuesday (Lower)
Warm up sets of squat same principle as warm up for bench
4x4 squat
2x8 leg extensions
2x8 deadlift
2x8 leg curls
2x10 calf raise
2x10 calf press
10-15 min of ab work

Wednesday Rest
Thursday Repeat Mondays
Friday Repeat Tuesdays

Off saturday Sunday.

Each week you increase your amount of reps by 1 so week 2 would be 4 sets of 5 on bench on week 5 you should be doing 4 sets of 8 on bench. If you get all your reps that week. You up the weight 10-15 percent and go back down to 4 sets of 4. I've seen a ton of progress on this. Just be sure to follow it to the letter. Don't increase weight one day just for the heck of it. Focus on form on everything obviously.