Do I have average or broad shoulder?

fltk

Awards
I wonder what's definition of broad or average shoulder. I measured mine and it was 48cm or 19 inches width. Is that average or broad?

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
I'd say broad shoulders is more subjective than just a number. It depends on your height, waist etc. Shoulders are broad proportionally to ones body. So a 6'5" guy with a gut would need huge shoulders, while shorter guy with low body fat might seem to have broad shoulders even if they are much narrower than the 6'5" guy with a gut.

I'd like to hear how others look at this, as I know this is just one opinion.

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
100% subjective , one way to look at it is proportion to the rest of your body as said above. Read an article before where they said for the perfect physique, shoulders should be 1.9 times the size of your waist , I believe this was men's fitness magazine when interviewing Chris hemsworth when he got in good shape for the first Thor (not saying I agree or disagree just it was said before) ether way just look at the mirror if you want bigger shoulders work on it don't go based on what others say about it

fltk

Awards
I'd say broad shoulders is more subjective than just a number. It depends on your height, waist etc. Shoulders are broad proportionally to ones body. So a 6'5" guy with a gut would need huge shoulders, while shorter guy with low body fat might seem to have broad shoulders even if they are much narrower than the 6'5" guy with a gut.

I'd like to hear how others look at this, as I know this is just one opinion.
I'm 5'6 in and 132.27 lbs.

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
Do you like how your shoulders look in comparison to your waist? If you are looking for a simple "yes" or "no" for your shoulders that won't happen. I guess if you posted a pic you could get a number of people's yes or no to the broad shoulders and see what proportion of people say yes or no. But the results would be skewed as a bodybuilding forum would have different standards for broad shoulders than a knitting club.

My question is how will this question's answer help you on your journey?

I'd ask myself, how do I like the proportions of my shoulders in comparison to my waist? Which if either can I do something to change? What do I need to do to change that.

For myself, I'm not going to be stacking much muscle on too quickly from here on out, si I would like to work on tapering my waist. You may feel you have a slim waist, but could lift and bulk your shoulders, back and chest more.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
According to the ancient Greeks, the ideal male physique should have these measurements: shoulders 1.6 times the waist, arms should be 2.5 times the circumference of the wrist, the calves 1.9 times the ankle size, the thighs 1.75 times the knee, the and the neck 2.5 times the wrist.

jt75

jt75

Awards
  • Established
And your c0ck 3 times as long as your middle finger and 6 times as thick lol