BREATHING

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Hi

this has been taken from some training advice given by a personal trainer

Each time you exert force (concentric phase), it is recommended to exhale.
During the release/receive phase (eccentric movement), it is recommended to
inhale.

would you agree?

thanks

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I naturally exhale on concentric, but it really doesn't make a lot of difference. As long as you are breathing (don't laugh, I've seen guys almost pass out), the real purpose is to set your core and stabilize for the lift. They've done studies suggesting that inhaling for the concentric provides more power, but to me it isn't natural and takes my mind off the lift itself.

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
Yeah same here. I feel like exhaling on contraction gives me more power. I have never passed out, but beware of hemorrhoids. Breathing is good. :)

TonyKush

TonyKush

Awards
Normally I inhale before press then exhale pressing through. But it's all
Personal preference. I know some
People
Who don't even breathe while lifting

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I inhale and brace for all primary lifts for two reps, exhale and repeat. Like kisaj mentioned it's about keeping your core tight and spine protected/neutral

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Never actually thought about where breathing is concerned it seems to take care of itself. Never passed out so I must be breathing.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
The reason behind the post is that i want to keep blood pressure from spiking too much. The heavier the lift , the more BP spikes.I have seen guys not breathe doing a 1 rep max, holding the breath , straining and redfaced. Im not convinced thats a good way to go but each to their own
personally idrather train with lighter weights and do more repetitions. This type of training seems to be mentioned more often now especially in the fitness mags, as producing muscle just as much as training heavy..

thanks for your input.