Need routine for a beginner

Tinyme

Awards
Need a routine for a beginner. He just got a gym membership I'm not sure how to start him off...

stock28

Awards
  • Established
A lot of questions need answered first. What's his age and condition? What are his goals? How many days a week can he devote to training? A little more info and you will get a ton of advise in here.

Tinyme

Awards
Oh yeah I totally forgot.
He's 37 about 5'4 160lbs big belly everything else is small. Mainly a belly...his goals is to lose the belly and get some muscles. 4 days at the gym a week

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
He's going to see progress doing anything if he's just starting out at those stats

Whatever you choose just be sure he enjoys it and could potentially maintain it. Results will come

A lift program will go miles, look into DOGCRAPP as one idea. cardio of his preference but I would start slowly.

Really as a first timer what he would see most benefit from is a trainer. Even if just for a week, to teach him the basics and proper form instruction

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Agreed with Driven. Hes going to need someone to show him proper form. Guessing you will do that? Three days a week would be a good start. I'd have him do three full body workouts spread throughout the week. Stick to basic exercises bench deads squats overhead presses. Couple sets of each around 8 reps would be a good start. Throw in some cardio afterwards.

Tinyme

Awards
Yeah that's what I told him he's going to see progress just by stepping in the gym. Glad he's changing his life style tho.

I wish I could show him but he's 3hrs away...I told him to stick to compounds for now. Didn't know a push pull leg would be good for him. Beginners usually don't like full body workouts well the people I know.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Push pull would work fine too. Biggest thing is going to be his diet. Most likely it's not that great hence the big stomach. If your unable to help him a trainer would be a huge benefit to get him on the right track at least for a short time.

Tinyme

Awards
Yeah but when he signed up st the gym...he talked to a pt and he told him he wanted to get big the pt told him to triple his food intake. I told him you need to find a new trainer lol

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Start him on a simple 5x5 program....after he gets stronger and feels ready move on to 5/3/1

Clipper83

Clipper83

Awards
  • Established
Start him on a simple 5x5 program....after he gets stronger and feels ready move on to 5/3/1
Although I like both of those programs, I feel like those programs would drive potential gym goers away if they are exposed to them too soon.

I'd just have them do full-body workouts every other day for the first few weeks/months and see if they stick with it. If they end up going to the gym without someone pushing them to go then you can show them more advanced routines imo.

Tinyme

Awards
I just got him doing a regular 4 day split he did chest and tris today. He's not into nutrition...so I just told him just keep going to the gym then I'll ease him into more details. I'm not no trainer but hopefully I can help him...

He keeps asking about protein shakes and bars. I told him he can take it if he can't eat at work or whatever just to hit his macros but he doesn't even know how much calories to eat...I don't think he's going to be measuring his food...so I told him when he get serious about what he eats then I'll try to lead him in the right way..