HIT vs 5x5 vs Volume

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Most of the training regimens I use are 5x5 or 3x5 and the occasional 3-4x8-10 for accessory lifts, but really I've got to where I am with sets of 4-6 sets of 4-6 reps in general. I've stalled a little recently mostly due to an injury and thus needed to increase my rep range and lighten the weight, so I've been looking into other programs and HIT like Doggcrap or Mike Mentzer's protocols look interesting. The whole "more is better Bro!" thing is stupid. Smarter is better, IMO, and that doesn't always just mean more (in the context of sets that is).

But how much less is beneficial? I just read Charles Staley say "the whole 1 set to failure thing has pretty much been debunked." And I wasn't aware of that. I know there's a couple big guys on this forum doing DC.

Has anyone tried the different extremes? Thoughts?

I

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried Neil Hill's Y3T?
Y3T has you training in weekly phases.

N

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Rest-pause is something of a compromise between lower volume HIT and typical volume training. How far to either end of the spectrum you wish to go can be determined by how many R-P "sets" you do. I prefer it to more traditional straight set training for a number of reasons, largely time (it's quicker) and more "money-reps".

I wouldn't really recommend it for low rep training, though.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Rest-pause is something of a compromise between lower volume HIT and typical volume training. How far to either end of the spectrum you wish to go can be determined by how many R-P "sets" you do. I prefer it to more traditional straight set training for a number of reasons, largely time (it's quicker) and more "money-reps".

I wouldn't really recommend it for low rep training, though.
Rest-pause is the Doggcrap method that brundel talks about right?