Squats hurt like hell lately

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys. What would you do?

I've always been a decent squatter. 425 was my highest squat natural, ass to grass.

Lately I have been struggling with 225 on the bar. Strictly because when hitting a deep squat, my hip joints (mostly my left) feel this harsh pinch, and it's preventing me from hitting anything heavy

Should I

A. Avoid squatting all together and Switch to leg press? (Not a fan because it doesn't have the same effect on CNS and potential overall anabolic state)

B. Squat from a box? (I am a little weaker in this position because of the sticking point, but it feels better on the hips)

I still deadlift on Saturdays (not same day as leg day)

What would you do?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, for one I would get the whole notion of moving to leg press as alternative out of your head. They don't translate.

Provided no injuries have occurred, you may want to take a video and see if your set up and position is correct. Add in stretching as well, because it could be mobility. Really hard to say with just that info.

Have you tried split squats? Those are my personal favorite over regular back squats and places emphasis on each leg and hip, so you could see if that helps.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Well, for one I would get the whole notion of moving to leg press as alternative out of your head. They don't translate.

Provided no injuries have occurred, you may want to take a video and see if your set up and position is correct. Add in stretching as well, because it could be mobility. Really hard to say with just that info.

Have you tried split squats? Those are my personal favorite over regular back squats and places emphasis on each leg and hip, so you could see if that helps.
It must be mobility. I've been squatting for years since I was about 16. I'm 27 now. I've never really been too active with my stretching. I made an appointment to see a sports doc on Friday to see if he can shed some light on the issue. Position is definitely correct, there must just be some sort of imbalance or mobility issue.

fro60ol

fro60ol

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the the above post Your technique might be slightly out of wack and you could not even notice it. I would video it and take a look. Also look up some things to looses up you hips before your squat

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the the above post Your technique might be slightly out of wack and you could not even notice it. I would video it and take a look. Also look up some things to looses up you hips before your squat
I have a few photos

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can see your right hip dropping below your left in each photo. There is an imbalance there.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Subscribing to this thread as I also have a sore spot in my left hip. I don't feel it while squatting though. My left hip has also always been the tighter side.

After speaking with several people, they think I could have microtearing in that side and should maybe have an MRI done. My left hip also pops from time to time, but only when getting up from sitting, etc. As long as I warmup well and keep tight, I never get hip pain during deep squats. It's mainly after, like when getting up in the morning, or getting up from a seated position if I've been sitting for a while, then I can feel some pain and tightness.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have a great masseuse that has a sports medicine degree and I was dealing with a similar mobility issue. She found my hips out of alignment and it took a few sessions but I was able to get this corrected. She attributed this to poor sleep positions and mattress. Just throwing this out there as things we don't think of can come into play.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have a great masseuse that has a sports medicine degree and I was dealing with a similar mobility issue. She found my hips out of alignment and it took a few sessions but I was able to get this corrected. She attributed this to poor sleep positions and mattress. Just throwing this out there as things we don't think of can come into play.
Thanks. Yeah a few years back I switched matresses to a memory foam one, since I'm a side sleeper. It's been much easier on my shoulders. I can't sleep on my back very well because I tend to snore/breathe worse in my sleep this way, and my lower back can get tight like this too. I sleep on my side most nights, with a body pillow placed between my legs to keep my knees apart. I also personally have a fair bit of lordosis that I'm dealing with.

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was having the same problem for a while.. I think it's called hip impingement, basically painfully tight hip flexor. Look up some hip flexor stretches, and look up DiFranco's Agile 8 warmup.. quick warmup that really loosens the hips and has made a huge difference in my squatting. One other thing that can contribute to hip pain is weak glutes, so if the stretches don't help maybe try some more direct glute work.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
I have that same problem sometimes too. It sucks man. I can't do squats like I used to. I have a lower back issue that really prevents me from loading the bar anymore and going ass to grass. Even worse I can't do deadlifts anymore. I still do squats but I pre exhaust first, do super slows, widowmakers, etc. Obviously I'm not pushing the same weight because of these adjustments but I'm sure as hell getting a good workout!