Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)

sespress

Awards
If you're like me I've always felt that being sore after waking the day after a strong workout means progress! And being sore 48 hours later and not before, or soreness continuing for 48+ hours (regardless) of when it kicks in, means you might have gone at things a bit too hard. I've been reading recently that this DOMS bit doesn't always equate to actual progress, or hypertrophy for that matter. That progress can and possibly will occur without DOMS. One article goes on to describe how micro tears increase nociceptor sensitivity to preexisting chemicals and toxins in the body, and NOT (to my surprise) lactic acid, which I had always been told was the reason for this sensation. Now they don't try to debunk that DOMS equates to progress, they do attempt to debunk the lactic acid buildup bit. The article suggests that it may be the hallmark of an enhanced development of tissues.

What are your thoughts?

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I find DOMS has to do with training frequency rather than intensity in my case. I train a muscle group twice a week so it just doesn't happen. Once a week or less and it's guaranteed. You can work extremely hard and make some of your best gains on specialized programs (Smolov for example) and you'll never feel sore beyond perhaps the initial days of settling in. I've never found staging infrequent training sessions to enhance the effect of DOMS to illicit great gains IME. Being able to avoid DOMS and get a good night sleep is more important to recovery and growth.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
DOMS have nothing to do with growth or progress. Period.

Jeremy Lifts

Jeremy Lifts

Awards
When I make my best gains it's because I'm not sore and able to hit every workout as hard as possible.

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
I rarely experience DOMS. Unless I skip meals after lifting

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
DOMS does have it's merits as a prank for light hearted mates. As an inititation when introducing friends to the gym. Their first workout would have them do squats. A tonne of squats! Drop sets until they are doing BW. When they can't stand up anymore grab their legs and keep them pumping. Next day you'd get the phone call... I CAN'T GET OUT OF ******* BED YOU ******. LOL. No pain, no gain.

sespress

Awards
DOMS does have it's merits as a prank for light hearted mates. As an inititation when introducing friends to the gym. Their first workout would have them do squats. A tonne of squats! Drop sets until they are doing BW. When they can't stand up anymore grab their legs and keep them pumping. Next day you'd get the phone call... I CAN'T GET OUT OF ******* BED YOU ******. LOL. No pain, no gain.
This must be universal hazing method. Sounds like years ago when I first started lifting what my buddies did to me.

gymgurus

Awards
well, i've tried everything. tart cherry juice, mass pro synthagen, aftershock recovery protein, watermelon juice and fit aid recovery varieties. nothing seems to alleviate the recurring pain in my quads primarily. and this is on top of staying in the sauna post workout. i'm considering adding post jym to the mix but i doubt it'll help much...

do you guys have any ideas?

i really could use your expertise here....