Incline Press

Aging Warrior

Aging Warrior

Awards
I was under the impression that 45° was best position on the bench. My home bench positions go from about 40 & next about 50....
Which one would be best? Any information on chest work at home is greatly appreciated, thanks

Dangus

Dangus

Awards
45 should be just right. Just make sure when you press it isn't just pressing straight up and down, your pulling your chest in, you arms are just there to guide you.

Aging Warrior

Aging Warrior

Awards
My bench doesn't set at 45...
Must a little less or little more. Which should I use, more or less

snowwolf

snowwolf

Awards
The "best" is where you get a good stretch followed by the best contraction. Its all about the feel and the activation.

briandward1

Awards
All other things being equal, the greater the incline angle the more anterior deltoid is involved.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Use them both. If 45° is desired you could probably put a 5 or 10# plate under one end to make it so.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is them both. If 45° if desired you could probably put a 5 or 10# plate under one end to make it so.
This would certainly work. If not, I prefer less incline than more.

Aging Warrior

Aging Warrior

Awards
Thanks everyone, I was going back and forth between the two. Just covering bases ?

snowwolf

snowwolf

Awards
Keep in mind the angle of the press is NOT the angle of your seat. The seat obviously directly influences it and is what makes you comfortable and consistent BUT what i tell people when im teaching them is that it has less to do with your seated angle and more to do with the angle of your chest. Think of it this way, how many do you see doing a flat bench press who have arched their back so much its now more of a decline press. Same thing with incline, you arch your back out it will flatten the angle of your chest and you loose some angle. Add plates under the legs or angle your back out to flatten your chest out (go from 50 degrees to more or a 45 that you say you want). Just make sure its a light and safe back arch and not something that will hurt you.