chest workouts - arms give out first?

Toff

Awards
  • Established
Hey

so, my chest is lagging, im trying inclined press, standard bench press and declined bench - but the main problem i have is not my chest muscles but my arms, mainly triceps giving out way before my chest does

What can i try?

Home gyming so equipement limited but i do have a bands machine that can give me somevery flexible resistence.

I was doing flys but since seeing a few youtbe videos from trainers its not seen as really beneficial to anything other than near the outer tendons?

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
Do some pre-exhaust work first like flies

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The first thing that comes to mind is that either your grip is too narrow or your triceps are a weakness. If not the former, build your triceps up with more work throughout the week so they can hang around on chest day.

Otherwise, Pre exhaust with flies or hex press, squeezing and flexing your pecs on each rep.

briandward1

Awards
I would focus on less pressing. Maybe only do 2 types presses instead of 3 and do more direct pec work-flies, pullovers, etc. additionally, whenever you take a rep of a bench press to lockout, you'll take tension off your chest, so cut the last 10% of your range of motion off and bring its back down for your next rep.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
The first thing that comes to mind is that either your grip is too narrow or your triceps are a weakness. If not the former, build your triceps up with more work throughout the week so they can hang around on chest day.

Otherwise, Pre exhaust with flies or hex press, squeezing and flexing your pecs on each rep.
I second this ^^^

Definitely widen your grip on the bench when it comes to barbell presses. Not too wide or it can cause shoulder problems. I like a little wider than shoulder width.

Also, if you have dumbbells, do them and focus on the stretch on every rep.

WAF

WAF

Awards
Keep with Fly's or pec deck fly's and do volume training to pre-exhaust the said muscle. Also add holding a rep at peak contraction for 1 second each rep one week next week hold for 2 secs, third week do max reps no holding at the top. Then repeat. Hand positioning is crucial and elbow position find your sweet spot with a light weight and work up from there.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try going lighter weight with more reps or do half reps at the end of a set. I exhaust my chest that way ever time.