Advice Or am I over thinking it?

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Long story short I had ankle surgery months back and have started doing 5x5 routine ...can't squat yet so been doing

Bench
Deadlift
Overhead press
Pull ups

Worried my front delts are going to get bigger and not be proportionate to the rear ... I consider my self a beginner btw

snowwolf

snowwolf

Awards
....soooo work your rear delts? Neutral grip rear machine flys, bent over neutral grip db flys, your rowing motions where the elbows are strait out or even a bit high will also build your rear delts up when done properly.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
10-4. Yeah I get limited in time and equipment. But you are right and thank you

snowwolf

snowwolf

Awards
10-4. Yeah I get limited in time and equipment. But you are right and thank you

So long as you are pulling under resistance and the path that is followed lines up with the angle of your rear delt you will work it adequately. Basically if you put a dot at the insertion of the rear delt and the origin of it and draw a strait line between those two dots, thats the path you should be doing so you contract the rear delt as effectively as possible.
The trick with rear delts is not to go too heavy, you go too heavy and all those other muscles back there will want to kick in and help and while that can make for a great compound movement it doesnt isolate your rear delt like it would be with a slightly lower weight.

snowwolf

snowwolf

Awards
Sure thing. If you dont have acess to a rear fly machine my go-to for finishing off my back and then adding in some solid rear delt work is to do 4 sets of 8-12 bent over rear db flys (legs and back @ 90 degree angle, actually bend over lol). When you get to the top squeeze the hell out of your shoulder blades and contract everything.
Then drop weight, go neutral grip and get those rear delt flys in. 3 or 4 sets will really do you in. Its humbling, 15lbs feels like 30lbs lol. Here dont pinch your shoulder blades together, rather take about 2 seconds to lift, 1 second hold, 2 seconds down, hang for a second and then go again. 6 plus reps, aim for 8-10 reps ideally.
30 second rests between all these sets.

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
Another good one for rear delts and traps is barbell (or dumbbell) rows but at a slight angle like 25-30 degrees, don't go too heavy shoot for higher reps like 12-15, 4-5 sets and you'll smoke everything in your upper back /neck /shoulders!