5 Day Split with something other than chest on Monday

• Thread starter Deleted member 238667
  • Start date

Deleted member 238667

Hey guys!
I train at my University's gym, and have been making the best progress of my life using a 5 day split. I'm loosely following the "Power Bodybuilding" program, which is M-Chest T-Legs W- Shoulders Th-Arms F-Back. There is a focus on strength and powerlifting for the first exercise, but then the next sets are bodybuilding. Sets of 8-10 generally.

When I got to the gym Monday during the only time I could lift, Almost all of the benches were being used, but the deadlift area was a ghost town. I had to leave early Friday so I didn't get a chance to work my back, so I decided I'd do that Monday. Being the first week I did heavy deadlifts, I did 9 Sets of 1-3 Reps. It goes without saying I was sore as hell the next day, but the benches were all empty, so I did chest and decided to follow the same schedule, but a day behind. The problem came yesterday (Wednesday) when I was squatting heavy. My legs were very weak compared to normal and the workout was not good. I love squatting, much more than benching, but it was just a bad session. So I need to think of a way to hit every area fully in a week, without chest being Monday, since that's how most plans are. I also need the weekend for rest. My bench is my weakest lift compared to where it should be. Thanks guys!

TL;DR. I need a 5 day split with rest on the weekend that does NOT do chest monday.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The problem is your arms day. You could easily just go squats mon, bench tues, back/deads thurs, shoulders friday. I guess if you "have to" have an arms day, do it Wednesday but know its going to take away from your back work. Why cant you just split up the arm work between bench and back days??

Deleted member 238667

The problem is your arms day. You could easily just go squats mon, bench tues, back/deads thurs, shoulders friday. I guess if you "have to" have an arms day, do it Wednesday but know its going to take away from your back work. Why cant you just split up the arm work between bench and back days??
I could do a four day split I guess.
Monday - Squat
Tuesday - Bench / Triceps
Wednesday - Rest-maybe (I like being in the gym)
Thursday - Back / Biceps
Friday - Shoulders

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I could do a four day split I guess.
Monday - Squat
Tuesday - Bench / Triceps
Wednesday - Rest-maybe (I like being in the gym)
Thursday - Back / Biceps
Friday - Shoulders
Personally thats what I would do if I were you since thats how you like to split up your training. You could always just make Wednesday some kind of active recovery type day were you just do some light sets to get the blood pumping and facilitate recovery. Then hop on the bike for a bit or play basketball or racketball, etc. But, maybe someone will hop in with another route for you. Thats just the simplest choice I saw.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Base it on your weaknesses maybe with the least amount of interference to your other body parts.

I go 5 days as well

Monday: quad dominant
Tuesday: chest
Wednesday: back
Thursday: shoulders and tris
Friday: deads, hamstring dominant, bis every once in a blue moon

Jgood53

Awards
You can pick whatever day you want to do your workouts. Just take whatever your doing m-f and flip it to do your workouts backwards.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Take this: M-Chest T-Legs W- Shoulders Th-Arms F-Back

and make it this: M-Back T-Chest W- Arms Th-Legs F-Shoulders

that'll give you 2 days between deads and squats... if thats still not enough, move shoulders to thurs and legs to fri. The weekend off (which I assume since youre in college is filled with food) should be plenty to recover for deads again monday