AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is in regard to using a the attachment that is shaped like the, /\, the close neutral grip bar. I have always pulled to my upper to mid chest. I have seen a lot of videos lately that suggest to pull down to the lower chest/upper abs area and this increases lower lat activation. I tried it once so far and will try it again. Just looking for overall thoughts on if that i actually the case.

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
This is in regard to using a the attachment that is shaped like the, /\, the close neutral grip bar. I have always pulled to my upper to mid chest. I have seen a lot of videos lately that suggest to pull down to the lower chest/upper abs area and this increases lower lat activation. I tried it once so far and will try it again. Just looking for overall thoughts on if that i actually the case.
I've seen the same kind of form in a few vids lately too. I gave it a try on Monday but it seemed to burn my Triceps, which took my focus off my lats. Think I'll just stick to pulling to my mid chest and let the underhand pulls work my lower lats.

Nice to try something new though

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have been doing this move for a while now, on my last 4 sets..

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I typically throw that handle (I always call it the v-bar attachment) over one of the handles of a pull up bar, and do pull ups, touching my hands to just under my lower chest and getting a big stretch on the way down. I also like to do back exercises with a thumbless grip; I find it helps me focus on pulling with my lats instead of my biceps.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
It does work the lower lats. It has taken me awhile to get the right form to get the perfect contraction tho. Ive found that if I lean back a bit and grab the bar at the bottom, it works the best. I also like to use straps for that exercise, so I can take as much tension off my forearms as possible.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I typically throw that handle (I always call it the v-bar attachment) over one of the handles of a pull up bar, and do pull ups, touching my hands to just under my lower chest and getting a big stretch on the way down. I also like to do back exercises with a thumbless grip; I find it helps me focus on pulling with my lats instead of my biceps.
I think we talked about this in another thread. I always use the thumbless grip as well. Works real well to take out some bicep involvement

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2 cents...
To add as far as feeling the lats doing work...
Imagine someone putting their hand on your tricep/elbow and pushing to keep your arm from coming back. Feel "your" upper arm/elbow pushing against their hand, driving it backwards. You can seem to feel more lat involvement that way IMO.
Also do agree with thumbless some too, as it feels more like your hands are just hooks dragging the weight with arms attached to pull the load. I use straps at times too, to take some emphasis off the grip or forearms.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
2 cents...
To add as far as feeling the lats doing work...
Imagine someone putting their hand on your tricep/elbow and pushing to keep your arm from coming back. Feel "your" upper arm/elbow pushing against their hand, driving it backwards. You can seem to feel more lat involvement that way IMO.
Also do agree with thumbless some too, as it feels more like your hands are just hooks dragging the weight with arms attached to pull the load. I use straps at times too, to take some emphasis off the grip or forearms.
The post wasn't how to feel or activate lats, but thanks.