Train each muscle 1 or 2x per week?

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
Title says it all. I am currently 3 on 1 off, but discovered it's not enough recovery time, so I just in an extra day off when needed. What do you guys do?

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
I prefer one time a week and smash it 25-30 sets. I focus on one muscle group one training day at a time. Chest, arms, shoulders, legs and back are all separate days. I find that to make my best progress. I see it physically. I say try both for yourself for a couple months and see what you feel and see best on. Good luck mate! Can't go wrong with either!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Title says it all. I am currently 3 on 1 off, but discovered it's not enough recovery time, so I just in an extra day off when needed. What do you guys do?
I think it depends on genetics and training age. Its been my experience that back and legs require higher frequency than shoulders and chest, so i squat 3xweek, deadlift 1xweek, and bench 2xweek within an upper body push pull split.

Deadlifts are always high intensity with undulating volume (1-8 sets with 1-3reps at +85%), squats broken up into heavy back squats (1 -3 working sets with 1-3reps @+85%), light back squats (5x10 with 60%-70%) and front squats (5x5 with 65%-80%), and bench push pull is 1 heavy day (5x3 at+75%) and 1 light day (6x10 at 65%-75%). I program using 24week macrocycles constructed from 6 4 week waves (3 weeks increasing total volume then 1 week deload). Must maintain calorie surplus to adapt for gains.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
From my experiences, I think most people have quicker recovery on the smaller muscle groups ie: arms, chest, shoulders and therefore can bench or press or arm work/grip 2x maybe 3x per week and make good to great progress using regular small additional amounts.
The larger groups, like hams, glutes, (or it might be better to say the entire posterior chain) can see good improvements with as little as 1x per week, (at least heavy) say squatting or deadlifting. Then possibly lighter work or iso work on those groups like quads, hams etc. a second day in that same week.

A few caveats, even though the lats are a large group, it does not necessarily take the level fitness to complete a set of chins or rows or pulldowns, compared to what it does to complete 3x5 in the deadlift, or 5x5 in the squat. So that can be another reason guys can get more frequency from those exercises as well.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
If you are following what your body tells you, then you are on the right track. There is research out there saying higher frequency is best, but I have always done the "bro" split with success. Just go by what your body is saying. Everyone recovers differently

WAF

WAF

Awards
I hit legs twice a week and go balls out each workout. I've tried various other routines and splits. Seems like this is the one that works for me.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I hit legs twice a week and go balls out each workout. I've tried various other routines and splits. Seems like this is the one that works for me.
I do the quad and hamstring split. I like it better

WAF

WAF

Awards
I do the quad and hamstring split. I like it better
yah i've been trying out some hamstring days also. But ended up throwing them out and adding hyperextensions at the end of each leg workout and go till failure with concentrating on glutes and hams. Lowerback is third priority and helps bring that up also. Since doing this my hams are so fried afterwards no way i could do anything else.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2-3x/week depending on what it is. Delts, triceps, and lats get a lot of attention from me and get some sort of training minimum twice per week.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
I follow a very simple rule which I never steer away from any more:
Volume training = once per week
HIT = 2 or 3 times per week

I've tried to do volume training hitting the muscles 2X per week but my body, especially my joints, don't seem to welcome it. When I hit the muscles 3X per week it is a total body workout consisting of about 12 machine or bodyweight exercises 1 set each past failure. For volume I use roughly 75% free weights and only go 1 body part per week. When I hit them 2X per week it is a slight blend of volume and HIT with a stronger focus on intensity. Just my preference.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
If you are following what your body tells you, then you are on the right track. There is research out there saying higher frequency is best, but I have always done the "bro" split with success. Just go by what your body is saying. Everyone recovers differently
I agree! Instead of training 3 on 1 off with the occasional extra day off... I am going to do 3 on 2 off as my peppermint routine. Mainly because I find myself getting fairly worn down, and 1 day of rest just is not enough for my shoulders. Also, I am a active guy, so lifting is just one thing I do. I like running, biking, some crossfit, and other physical hobbies. Im one of those "Active rest" guys.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I agree! Instead of training 3 on 1 off with the occasional extra day off... I am going to do 3 on 2 off as my peppermint routine. Mainly because I find myself getting fairly worn down, and 1 day of rest just is not enough for my shoulders. Also, I am a active guy, so lifting is just one thing I do. I like running, biking, some crossfit, and other physical hobbies. Im one of those "Active rest" guys.
And you are still getting each part every 5 days. So frequency is still present

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I train everything but arms and shoulders twice a week