Does this bother anyone else (people removing weights from the bench you're using)

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I've been training for 18 years (34 y/o) and have trained at a lot of gyms. Where I am living now is full of a lot of yuppies and hence the gym I train at has probably the highest degree of douchiness of any gym I've been to (it's just the best option till I move next year).

Anyway, one thing I've noticed that pisses me off is that I'll be doing a set on bench, and in the middle of the set some guy will come and grab 45s off the rack of the bench I'm working on without asking, even though there are 45s all around on the machines etc. (This is a 24 hour fitness).

To me, it's a douchey disrespectful move. Today I was doing bench and some guy grabbed the 45s I was planning to use on the next set from my bench's rack without asking, even though there were 45s on the empty surrounding machines.

Anyone else think this is kind of a douche move or would find this annoying? Especially while you're doing a set and without asking if you need them? Or is this the norm now and I'm just being b*tchy?

bigty30

Awards
Yup! It pisses me off. Worst thing is with OCD I arrange all the weights on the bench rack. Same amount of places on each side and then someone will come over and add or remove from either mid set or while I'm resting.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
I've been training for 18 years (34 y/o) and have trained at a lot of gyms. Where I am living now is full of a lot of yuppies and hence the gym I train at has probably the highest degree of douchiness of any gym I've been to (it's just the best option till I move next year).

Anyway, one thing I've noticed that pisses me off is that I'll be doing a set on bench, and in the middle of the set some guy will come and grab 45s off the rack of the bench I'm working on without asking, even though there are 45s all around on the machines etc. (This is a 24 hour fitness).

To me, it's a douchey disrespectful move. Today I was doing bench and some guy grabbed the 45s I was planning to use on the next set from my bench's rack without asking, even though there were 45s on the empty surrounding machines.

Anyone else think this is kind of a douche move or would find this annoying? Especially while you're doing a set and without asking if you need them? Or is this the norm now and I'm just being b*tchy?
I piss all over the floor around what I'm using to claim my territory. Works every time.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Nope. Not at all. I find it aggravating, especially if they come close to hitting the bar mid-set. I always wait to ask, or wait until they're done with their set before I grab any weight that's on a rack someone is using.

snowwolf

snowwolf

Awards
One of the most annoying aspects of a gym next to idiots leaving plates on the friggin floor. Thankfully im now managment at a oldschool gym where no one would do that because they are all awesome people.
The only thing worse than ppl taking your plates is some idiot doing a giant set and taking up all the machines you need.

briandward1

Awards
Alpha move: go take them back when they're mid set. **** em.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yup! It pisses me off. Worst thing is with OCD I arrange all the weights on the bench rack. Same amount of places on each side and then someone will come over and add or remove from either mid set or while I'm resting.
I thought I was the only one! I also have been known to roll all of the dumbells so the numbers are upright. I'm fine if I don't start, but once one set is right I can't leave the rest wrong. OCD kinda sucks.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hate when people take plates off the bench or power rack I'm using, but just when I'm intra set. I don't want anyone getting in my line of sight or potential shake the bench when removing weights.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hate when people take plates off the bench or power rack I'm using, but just when I'm intra set. I don't want anyone getting in my line of sight or potential shake the bench when removing weights.
This is how I am. IT's dumb if they come take them when there are plenty of other plates around, but only really bothers me when I'm in the middle of a set and I have break concentration and worry about them hitting the bar.

sespress

Awards
Nope. Not at all. I find it aggravating, especially if they come close to hitting the bar mid-set. I always wait to ask, or wait until they're done with their set before I grab any weight that's on a rack someone is using.
Yeah it's almost dangerous if they knock into your bench, bar, hand or just distract you there could be injury. I had a kid back into the bar once because his buddy and him were screwing around. I was OK but real mad. They kind of shrugged it off being like 15-16 and not giving a ****. The gym staff later asked them to leave but I mean what if i had lost control of 200+lbs? Crap man that could be bad.

Your totally right to get upset about that ****. It's not cool. If there are no other plates nearby (which is doubtful), then it's OK to take from my bench. When I'm in rest and after getting my attention and at least pointing to it to make sure I'm not about to add it.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

This happens to me every now and then. Its a Gen Y thing: wannabe hipsters trying to be "alpha" at the gym. Theres nothing u can do about it that doesnt feel embarrassing.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
If this happens it means someones in my garage and they are getting beat

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
Does this bother anyone else (people removing weights from the bench you're u...

Haha sometimes I've removed 45's from the rack of a kid or someone struggling to bench 135 and have been like, ehhhh ur not gonna use those. No way ur hitting 225!!!! Oops lol! But even then it's douchey because how distracting is that to have some guy pulling weights from ur rack as u focus to push weight!!! So I get it.

And yes I've also gone straight back to someone doing calve raises with the plates I was going to use to bench 225 and pulled them straight back. He mugged me. I mugged him. I gave him the look to f^%* off. He understood.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

if you're one of those guys that feels the need to socialize all across the gym and has excessive time between sets to the point that you leave the bench vacant for periods in excess of 3 or 4 minutes - you snooze - you lose.

Theres far too many douchebags that are there to socialize and believe they have "dibs" by the hours on equipment while the chat it up with their bros.

That's my rant - probably for another topic - sorry :D

I can't see how someone can steal a plate from your bar while you're doing a set?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It absolutely is an ahole move and could even be considered dangerous to some degree. If you are concentrating on weights that you are supporting and someone comes knocking around your rack mid-set, that is a distraction and there is potential that they could bump the bar or drop a weight. I have and will say something to someone that does that even if I have to walk across the floor to find them. Luckily this does not happen much at all and most people are respectful enough to wait and then ask if they can take a weight from the rack I am on. Even if you are not mid-set, it is proper to ask permission to take a weight from the area someone is in.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I notice I missed the part that said bench "rack" mid set. Sorry too much cell phone posting.

That's pretty annoying and dangerous as well. I find some gyms are anti-social where the guys are almost territorial. Or at the best just don't even communicate. A simple courtesy "hey bro" or "nod" would suffice.

Then there's the over social ones. Too friendly. I like the territorial ones a bit more cause I can secure territory pretty well ;)

sespress

Awards
if you're one of those guys that feels the need to socialize all across the gym and has excessive time between sets to the point that you leave the bench vacant for periods in excess of 3 or 4 minutes - you snooze - you lose.

Theres far too many douchebags that are there to socialize and believe they have "dibs" by the hours on equipment while the chat it up with their bros.

That's my rant - probably for another topic - sorry :D

I can't see how someone can steal a plate from your bar while you're doing a set?
How's about the guy who comes in with his three buddies and wants to do some rotation that involves a bench and like 2 different dumbbell weights and maybe up to two other pieces of equipment.

This would be OK if they all did one thing and used it all. But this one group at my gym just puts a towel or water bottle down on the other pieces and goes to lift the one piece all together. I mean it gets crowded right? One dude can help you spot - the other is superfluous and just chats. Meanwhile they've like staked out another bench or something. If you go to use it they walk up and say they're about to use it would you mind doing something else first. YES I mind, I watch them and they don't use it for over 10 minutes. I could be done by then or close to it. (sigh).

My strategy is to literally ignore them and keep lifting, just move the stuff they used to tag the equipment (towel, etc). These days it seems like I'm the only one that's not going to let them get away with that.

Oh well, I live in a very wealthy area, and it seems the entitlement factor is maxed out with some of these young guys. I do get a kick out of how they do the exercises - like so wrong that injury is assured given enough time. Love watching some one do bicep curls and using the back, shoulder, and a swing of the hips, elbow comes out to the side, then drop the weights when finished narrowly missing toes.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How's about the guy who comes in with his three buddies and wants to do some rotation that involves a bench and like 2 different dumbbell weights and maybe up to two other pieces of equipment.

This would be OK if they all did one thing and used it all. But this one group at my gym just puts a towel or water bottle down on the other pieces and goes to lift the one piece all together. I mean it gets crowded right? One dude can help you spot - the other is superfluous and just chats. Meanwhile they've like staked out another bench or something. If you go to use it they walk up and say they're about to use it would you mind doing something else first. YES I mind, I watch them and they don't use it for over 10 minutes. I could be done by then or close to it. (sigh).

My strategy is to literally ignore them and keep lifting, just move the stuff they used to tag the equipment (towel, etc). These days it seems like I'm the only one that's not going to let them get away with that.

Oh well, I live in a very wealthy area, and it seems the entitlement factor is maxed out with some of these young guys. I do get a kick out of how they do the exercises - like so wrong that injury is assured given enough time. Love watching some one do bicep curls and using the back, shoulder, and a swing of the hips, elbow comes out to the side, then drop the weights when finished narrowly missing toes.
Yes I mind!

Or I make them learn how to share and let them know "I'll work in".

I'm super courteous and polite and I'm usually considerably more developed (not bragging I'm 51 been at it a while) and have a body language and facial disposition thats not the most approachable (I've been told) so when all is said and done I usually end up with a new friend ;)

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can't tolerate people that leave dumbbells on top of a bench in between sets. This amounts to at least 15 minutes of time occupying the bench for maybe 2-3 minutes of actual workout. Who does that??? Ignorant!! Also, people that think a bench or the seat of a machine is there as place to store their water bottle and cell phone. Hello? Aside from that; people who bring their cell phone to the gym and use it for reasons other than playing music. They may as well just not even bother working out. Pathetic...

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
All these reasons are why I work out at home. The lack of equipment versus a well set up gym leaves somehing to be desired but the mood lift is worth it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Body odor really bugs me and I am not talking about your normal sweat, I am talking about these people that smell like they rubbed an onion all over their body and haven't showered in a week. There are a few in my gym and when they walk by I get so irritated by the lack of basic hygiene.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Body odor really bugs me and I am not talking about your normal sweat, I am talking about these people that smell like they rubbed an onion all over their body and haven't showered in a week. There are a few in my gym and when they walk by I get so irritated by the lack of basic hygiene.
Yup...I think we all know that smell! I have to go to the other side of my gym to avoid those people. I think it often comes down to that they wear the same clothes to the gym for months on end and don't bother to ever wash them.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In regards to the OP, it just depends on where the plates are and the gym, really.

I don't like it, but I sometimes have to do it to people, too.

If someone has all the plates between the squat racks and the leg presses, then the 45's might be scarce and that means that if I'm doing bench next to you, I'll steal a couple 45's or 5's or whatever so long as they're on the rack and not on the bar (on the bar is an absolute offense punishable by death). The only real gripe I have with that is if they do that in the middle of while I'm lifting and it interferes with me -- e.g. if I'm benching with weight in the air and you can grab plates without touching anything, cool; otherwise, you better not brush against me, wiggle the rack, etc. while I have weight in my hands/in the air.

In a perfect world, that would never happen, but I get it.

Also, if I plan on using multiple plates, that's when I drape my towel over them on the bench.

Clipper83

Clipper83

Awards
  • Established
If I don't need the weight I don't really think about it. Don't really find it rude. I'll take a 10 off of someones bench if they look as if they are not using it.

If they ask me, I just feel like they are being polite.

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
While he's in mid set, walk past and release the gas! lol

Tyvocules

Tyvocules

Awards
That's why I workout at home. If someone took the weights without asking I would be pissed and probably say something. I can't remember off the top of my head if that's ever happened to me. I do know that once I was in a really small gym and there wasn't many plates around but I asked if I could grab a couple weights if I could tell they wouldn't need them.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
In regards to the OP, it just depends on where the plates are and the gym, really.

I don't like it, but I sometimes have to do it to people, too.

If someone has all the plates between the squat racks and the leg presses, then the 45's might be scarce and that means that if I'm doing bench next to you, I'll steal a couple 45's or 5's or whatever so long as they're on the rack and not on the bar (on the bar is an absolute offense punishable by death). The only real gripe I have with that is if they do that in the middle of while I'm lifting and it interferes with me -- e.g. if I'm benching with weight in the air and you can grab plates without touching anything, cool; otherwise, you better not brush against me, wiggle the rack, etc. while I have weight in my hands/in the air.

In a perfect world, that would never happen, but I get it.

Also, if I plan on using multiple plates, that's when I drape my towel over them on the bench.
This exactly.

I've never been to a gym that has the weights evenly distributed throughout. You almost always have to go on a mission and find what you need elsewhere.

If I don't see you on something by the time it takes me to do two sets or stand and check my phone and look around and see if anyone makes eye contact with me to see if they're supersetting, I take what I want. I'm not there to wait around and hope someone isn't supersetting various things from across the gym.

I won't take something off someone's bar they're obviously using and I won't interfere with their workout. But, if the only 45s left are on the bench you're using, I may ask if you look at it me but most of the time I don't.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This exactly.

I've never been to a gym that has the weights evenly distributed throughout. You almost always have to go on a mission and find what you need elsewhere.

If I don't see you on something by the time it takes me to do two sets or stand and check my phone and look around and see if anyone makes eye contact with me to see if they're supersetting, I take what I want. I'm not there to wait around and hope someone isn't supersetting various things from across the gym.

I won't take something off someone's bar they're obviously using and I won't interfere with their workout. But, if the only 45s left are on the bench you're using, I may ask if you look at it me but most of the time I don't.
This. If I'm on a bench and there's only enough 45s for one on each end of the bar, but the bench next to me has enough for 225 on the bar, and 4 more plates total not being used (come on, you can tell if someone isn't going to bench 315-405), why shouldn't I take some of the 45s from their bench, after their set of course. Obvious, not taking them off the bar they have, but there's times I see enough 45s for 5 per side on one bench, and only one or two at the bench next to it. It's similar with the 2.5s. Sometimes there'll be 6 on one bench, and none on another. You don't need 6 2.5s; you don't need more than 2 really.
/rant

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This exactly.

I read these posts and feel very fortunate that I really don't experience what a lot of people do because I always have weights available and rarely have to ask to "borrow" some from another area. But, your explanation of how you are in the gym is exactly how I feel everyone should be. Respectful, but not going to ***** foot around in a public gym where we all have to share the same resources.

bigmacdaddy18

bigmacdaddy18

Awards
Gym etiquette stinks right now. I am blessed to workout in one of the best gyms in the states, Powerhouse in New Haven and there is none of that. When I go to other gyms around the country I am amazed at the rudeness.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think people just have less common sense as time goes on. They are so attached to their cell phones that they have no idea how to act in the real world and I am not even sure if some of them know that a real world exists.

bigmacdaddy18

bigmacdaddy18

Awards
Problem is nobody says anything. Guarantee if someone was taking the plates off of something I was using, there will be a conversation and they will think twice before doing it again.