Shift work..and kid... Two times a week?

F

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
WANT to run the the 5x5 workout ...but I know it's better with a 3 time a week ...but with the time available would it be better to workout twice a week and do more of a full body

Bench
dead lift
squat
overhead press
Or just do the 5x5 like I have twice a week

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WANT to run the the 5x5 workout ...but I know it's better with a 3 time a week ...but with the time available would it be better to workout twice a week and do more of a full body

Bench
dead lift
squat
overhead press
Or just do the 5x5 like I have twice a week
So are you saying you only have 2 days a week to train?

F

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Some weeks. Then others I have 3 days I can fit it in to...

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some weeks. Then others I have 3 days I can fit it in to...
One of the guys here has me on a program. Its an every other day Hypertrophy Specific Training routine, and its brutal. If you have to, you can do it on back to back days if your schedule calls for it. Im 38, have a 15 year old son, Im married and work a full time job as a fireman and a part time job with full time hours as an EMT, and this fits perfect for me. I can ask If hes willing to put one together for you, just let me know if you're interested

F

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Heck yeah sounds great and probably something something that can help me

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Nothing wrong with full body on limited sessions per week, I'd prefer that option really.

Better to hit everything twice a week than neglecting body parts 6+ days at a time, to optimize growth and adaptation

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
Hey man I'm currently on the stronglifts 5*5 your talking about. I've seen incredible strength gains with it, it's set up very intelligently. It's gonna get all your core lifts up. As far as two days a week you'll still see results and at least your doing every exercise at least once a week.
But I agree with FireTitan(thin red line of courage brother, thank you for your service), I'm married with two kids working over 60 hours a week in the military and I find time to do it three times a week. You have time make it a priority.

F

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Dude I try. I get off at 5pm drive for 1 hr to baseball. 2hr then back home feed son it's 1030 pm and have to get back up at 4am .....no time

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
Dude I try. I get off at 5pm drive for 1 hr to baseball. 2hr then back home feed son it's 1030 pm and have to get back up at 4am .....no time
I understand family, really I do. But your putting baseball before it. It really will work at two days a week. It's just going to be a slower progression. 5*5 drops you down to crazy low weight on the beginning, maybe skip that to try and adjust otherwise it's gonna take you way longer to get to your current working weight.

F

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I am working out now with medium weight. Yeah my kid comes first. But yeah I am going to either wake up early or stay up late to get my at least 2 days in

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
That's rough man. I'm sure you know sleep is the third piece to the puzzle after lifting and nutrition.
But I'm tell you stronglifts 5*5 really works just stick with it and get the app if you don't have it.

F

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I have it and yeah sleep is a big part lol. It will slow down but until then I just have to fight

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depending on how hard one wants to work, I can see being able to beat yourself up pretty good 2x per week
Old abbreviated full body stuff from HG mag like this...

Monday:
Squat 5x5
OHP's 4x8
Rows 4x8
Abs maybe 2-3x20

Thursday:
BP's 5x5
Deads 3x5
Chins maybe 3x8
Arms 3-4x8-10

You hit about 95% of the body 2x per week.
Focusing on adding weight to the big 3-5 compounds. #2 1/2-#5 a week, adds up in 52 weeks.
Eat good and rest good. Plenty of time for job and family.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey man I'm currently on the stronglifts 5*5 your talking about. I've seen incredible strength gains with it, it's set up very intelligently. It's gonna get all your core lifts up. As far as two days a week you'll still see results and at least your doing every exercise at least once a week.
But I agree with FireTitan(thin red line of courage brother, thank you for your service), I'm married with two kids working over 60 hours a week in the military and I find time to do it three times a week. You have time make it a priority.
Thanks brother! And thank you for your military service. I am a veteran myself. For the exception of my 15 year old son, every male in my family has either served or is currently

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Firstcycle, Im throwing an invite to my buddy here. Hes got me straightened out so I feel like he can help you. lifted67 come on in

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Better late than never right?!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Depending on how hard one wants to work, I can see being able to beat yourself up pretty good 2x per week
Old abbreviated full body stuff from HG mag like this...

Monday:
Squat 5x5
OHP's 4x8
Rows 4x8
Abs maybe 2-3x20

Thursday:
BP's 5x5
Deads 3x5
Chins maybe 3x8
Arms 3-4x8-10

You hit about 95% of the body 2x per week.
Focusing on adding weight to the big 3-5 compounds. #2 1/2-#5 a week, adds up in 52 weeks.
Eat good and rest good. Plenty of time for job and family.
This is money. This is what I would do with only 2 days a week.

F

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Think this is what I am going to do ...no squats?

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
This is money. This is what I would do with only 2 days a week.
My only critique would be to throw in some rear delt isolation to both workouts, us amateurs tend to over strengthen our anterior plane and that leads to injury.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I'm right here, PaulBlack had an excellent write up, I added rear delt work. I can make you up my own detailed plan and email it to you though if you want.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Ok will do, drop me a PM of email Addy.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My only critique would be to throw in some rear delt isolation to both workouts, us amateurs tend to over strengthen our anterior plane and that leads to injury.
Yeah, and good point.
With a basic program like this, one can get a great deal stronger and larger with minimal time and minimal equipment.
Since it is simple enough to focus on the big stuff first, then one can add in little things or details as they get more advanced or find their best set up or path.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Very good point; I didn't even think about it because it is mandatory for me as part of all my pressing warmup. I do not press or bench or low bar squat ever without at least 35-60 work reps of facepulls or pullaparts or rear db flys.

It is essential and should be incorporated into a brief warmup. The arm work can be done there as well. This saves time vs adding it in on the back end.

F

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Thank you... I have been cutting down on my carbs ...and working graveyards. Can't get motivated to workout today. I got the bench for 5 sets of 10. But after that Just not feeling it been pushing but just feel blaa

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thank you... I have been cutting down on my carbs ...and working graveyards. Can't get motivated to workout today. I got the bench for 5 sets of 10. But after that Just not feeling it been pushing but just feel blaa
If I did one single thing in the gym, 5x10 on a major movement would be it. It's better than nothing. Next time just try to force sets of chins or rows in between them.

F

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Man I need to. Jsut have been beat. ... I felt great and pumped doing 5 sets of 10 on bench. Used 160# think I will grab a 45 plate and squat some in between and row like you said ... Thank you

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
I would do 3x5 of squat, deadlift, Bench, bbrow, Dips, chins, press imo

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just keep showing up. Force yourself to get to the gym (or to the garage, wherever you train) and promise yourself to start. If you can make it to the barbell, you will do some work. If you can keep doing that, you will progress. You don't need hours of work, if you do just a few hard sets every time you show up and slowly add weight or reps you will become more.

K

kn78

Awards
Im in the same boat, but only able to train Friday night- Sun. Thought about doing a light workout Friday, then killing it Sunday. Hopefully itll hold me over until mid March when I can get back into it.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I still only workout twice a week with a very similar set up to what Paul laid out. Except mine is:

Bench 5x5
Row 5x5
Squat 5x5
Farmers walks 3xAMRAP

Deadlift 3x3
OHP 5x5
Pull Ups 5xAMRAP
Lateral Raises 4x8
Shrugs 4x8

M

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone want to spread that to a 3x week workout? Curious to see ideas of others

M

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah that was what I was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation.

F

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
When I was working out with a 5 sets of 10 I gained a lot of size. But not a lot of strength

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I was working out with a 5 sets of 10 I gained a lot of size. But not a lot of strength
This makes sense to me. I am more or less a follower of Prilipen's chart.
When I did higher rep squats and deads, my single max to rep ratio was closer. I was doing TB deads, #480x20 but only did a single with #560.
When I slowly incorporated lower rep work ie: x5's x3's x2's my single to rep ratio went up. #500x10 conventional pull and a #615 single.

BoloYeung1

BoloYeung1

Awards
Some of the Anthony Ditillo programs are great for a minimal 2 day a week Fullbody workouts. I had great success on them.

F

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Will look them up. Thank you. So stoked to run a test cycle soon I hope

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
IMO maybe you should free up more time to train if you're going to pin test...

BoloYeung1

BoloYeung1

Awards
Will look them up. Thank you. So stoked to run a test cycle soon I hope
Since I can't post links yet, Google Ditillo Intermediate Mass Program.

This is a good one that you can probably run every 3 days. I would assume if you're gonna run test you would have the dedication to eat like an animal. Good luck!

I did this one for a month and a half before vacation. Ate 3 whole meals and 2 shakes of milk and whole egg protein mixed with water and heavy cream. Strength and size went through the roof.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Never ran into anyone that had better results on a test cycle by working out less. Especially if we are only talking twice a week.
Your missing my point. Just in general, a lot of people simply don't know what's best for themselves. I'm sure you talk to guys who also say "yeah, I need like 20 sets per bodypart to make any gains!" But they look the same as they did as last year.

Edit: And we're not even talking about Mike Mentzer's philosophy which is even less than I'm promoting.