Moving away from 5/3/1 after 2 years, what now?

R

rangestormer

Awards
I have done 5/3/1 for the past 2 years using some of the variations from the book. It has made wonders in my eyes for my strength, especially on the Deadlift and Squat (440 DL @160, I am only 5'6). But I want to try something different now. The two basic reasons being:

1. I need to build some mass and definition. I thought that by increasing my strength, that would be enough, but I probably screwed the assistance or something, because guys with similar build like me, are way ahead in terms of mass, but weaker than me in strength.

2. The more important reason though being that due to my new schedule, I have to train in the morning before work. I am the opposite of a morning person, and no matter how much I warm up, I am not able to focus for for the 1s and 2s on the third week. I am just close to my limit at this BW and if I am not 100% focused, fed, etc. I cannot do these max reps, my form gets bad from time to time...

So I am looking for something towards adding mass, but would like to keep the 4 main lifts and weight progression, just not that close to my max rep.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
You could look at HST just Google Hypertrophy Specific Training or you could also look at Myo Reps

J

Jolly

Awards
I have done 5/3/1 for the past 2 years using some of the variations from the book. It has made wonders in my eyes for my strength, especially on the Deadlift and Squat (440 DL @160, I am only 5'6). But I want to try something different now. The two basic reasons being:

1. I need to build some mass and definition. I thought that by increasing my strength, that would be enough, but I probably screwed the assistance or something, because guys with similar build like me, are way ahead in terms of mass, but weaker than me in strength.

2. The more important reason though being that due to my new schedule, I have to train in the morning before work. I am the opposite of a morning person, and no matter how much I warm up, I am not able to focus for for the 1s and 2s on the third week. I am just close to my limit at this BW and if I am not 100% focused, fed, etc. I cannot do these max reps, my form gets bad from time to time...

So I am looking for something towards adding mass, but would like to keep the 4 main lifts and weight progression, just not that close to my max rep.
You could try push, pull, leg but alternate hypertrophy and power.
1. Power push
2. Power pull
3. Power leg
4.Rest
5. Hypertrophy push
6. Hypertrophy pull
7. Hypertrophy leg
8. Rest

R

rangestormer

Awards
I'll check them out, thanks! Any opinion on the Juggernaut method? I like the fact that I could still build/maintain strenght with it on the 4 main lifts, plus it barely goes into the 90% range of 1 RM.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established

Eat more and follow 5/3/1 Boring But Big and drop ur training max by 15-20%. How many cals are u taking in will make a big diff on getting bigger.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Something along the lines of a power building program might be beneficial. I've been looking into dc training quite a bit. Also fortitude training. Both seem to be great programs.

slggtstrength

slggtstrength

Awards
5/3/1 is great for beginners but yeah, it just is not much volume to really drive hypertrophy.

I always recommend - if you have the patience - to create your own programming.

Plenty of wonderful resources out there to get a good understanding like Practical Programming for Strength Training by Mark Rippetoe or Scientific Principles of Strength Training by Chad Wesley Smith and Dr. Mike Israetel.