Here's my PHAT/PPL Hybrid! Help me make it perfect :)

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Hey there guys! I'm taking a week off and then want to start a pretty intense PHAT/PPL hybrid program. It's fairly easy to understand but I still have a couple questions.

It's essentially PULL/PUSH/LEGS in which I'm alternating in between Power and Hypertrophy days. Example:

PULL power
PUSH hypertrophy
LEGS power
PULL hypertrophy
PUSH power
LEGS hypertrophy

It would be awesome to make it fit within one week (6-day split), but I want a rest day in between, so being a 5-day split basically every week is slightly different from the others.
Example:

Monday:
PULL power
Tuesday:
PUSH hypertrophy
Wednesday:
REST
Thursday:
LEGS power
Friday:
PULL hypertrophy
Saturday:
PUSH power

So the next week I'd start with LEGS power, and so on.

Here are my questions:
1) Every session is 2 main exercises + 3 or 4 accessory ones. I wanna keep every accessory exercise around 6-8 reps on Power days and 10-12 reps on Hypertrophy days. What about the main ones? Should I always go for a fixed amount every week (let's say 5x5 squat) or is it better to change the 5x5 into 6x4, 7x3, 8x2, 1RM as I continue the program?

2) Do you think it would be better, in general, to choose a fixed amount of weight for each exercise and perform the same amount of reps for any given set, or increase weight/decrease reps as I go? The latter one is what I pretty much always did on my "bro split".

Thanks for your time, any input is much appreciated :)

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
I should add, the exercises I do on Power days are different than the ones I do on Hypertrophy days, for example squat on Power day, leg press on Hypertrophy day, more barbell on push Power day, more dumbbells/cables on push Hypertrophy days, etc. I can post a full list of exercises if needed

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
On my power days I tend to go for 3-5 reps. If it's been awhile, I'll go for 1-2 but add two or so extra sets if I'm able.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
On my power days I tend to go for 3-5 reps. If it's been awhile, I'll go for 1-2 but add two or so extra sets if I'm able.
Would you do 3-5 on the second main exercise as well? Example squat->sldl, flat bench->ohp, deadlift->pullup

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I have a template for this exact style that I have been using for a couple years now (and have given to many others as well)... shoot me an email (in my sig) and I can forward it to you.

It has week by week progressions for the main lifts and then standard accessories each day... every 6 weeks you will test your 1rm and then update from there.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
I have a template for this exact style that I have been using for a couple years now (and have given to many others as well)... shoot me an email (in my sig) and I can forward it to you.

It has week by week progressions for the main lifts and then standard accessories each day... every 6 weeks you will test your 1rm and then update from there.
You sent it to me already actually - mine is just a modded version of your 6-day split in which I alternate in between P and H days :) BUT: I don't quite understand the way you chose the amount of reps x sets on the second main exercises, and specifically for my situation 1RM is not a priority, but overall strength is, along with mass. So: should I keep a fixed amount of reps x sets throughout all the weeks, or vary?

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Hey there guys! I'm taking a week off and then want to start a pretty intense PHAT/PPL hybrid program. It's fairly easy to understand but I still have a couple questions.

It's essentially PULL/PUSH/LEGS in which I'm alternating in between Power and Hypertrophy days. Example:

PULL power
PUSH hypertrophy
LEGS power
PULL hypertrophy
PUSH power
LEGS hypertrophy

It would be awesome to make it fit within one week (6-day split), but I want a rest day in between, so being a 5-day split basically every week is slightly different from the others.
Example:

Monday:
PULL power
Tuesday:
PUSH hypertrophy
Wednesday:
REST
Thursday:
LEGS power
Friday:
PULL hypertrophy
Saturday:
PUSH power

So the next week I'd start with LEGS power, and so on.

Here are my questions:
1) Every session is 2 main exercises + 3 or 4 accessory ones. I wanna keep every accessory exercise around 6-8 reps on Power days and 10-12 reps on Hypertrophy days. What about the main ones? Should I always go for a fixed amount every week (let's say 5x5 squat) or is it better to change the 5x5 into 6x4, 7x3, 8x2, 1RM as I continue the program?

2) Do you think it would be better, in general, to choose a fixed amount of weight for each exercise and perform the same amount of reps for any given set, or increase weight/decrease reps as I go? The latter one is what I pretty much always did on my "bro split".

Thanks for your time, any input is much appreciated :)

I think that general split it up is totally fine. The only other option you could consider is do all of your power days then take a day off, then do all of your hypertrophy days. I say that only because you can sort of break up your training into micro cycles over the 7-8 day period. But certainly do not need too.

As far as your questions

1.I am big fan of percentage based programming because it keeps you honest and striving to beat the log book but it doesn't allow for much auto regulation too so you sort of will need to determine what style suits you. I also am a big fan of having power movements in the 2-6 range and sort of pyramid my way up each set (3-4 working sets) and try to beat each set the previous week by either reps or 5-10lbs. Another simple way to ensure progression.

2. I always prefer shooting to increase reps and or weight every chance we can, as long as our form is perfect and our muscle contractions excellent, as the more progressive overload we can attain the better results we will get. I would say shoot to try increase everything at any point. This typically makes training more intense too which I cannot stress enough.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You sent it to me already actually - mine is just a modded version of your 6-day split in which I alternate in between P and H days :) BUT: I don't quite understand the way you chose the amount of reps x sets on the second main exercises, and specifically for my situation 1RM is not a priority, but overall strength is, along with mass. So: should I keep a fixed amount of reps x sets throughout all the weeks, or vary?
For me, the changing sets/reps scheme seems to allow me to progress better than the same week to week. The 1rm is more to test if you are truly building max power. If you don't care about it, feel free to just restart after the 2rm days.

RugbyBaller91

RugbyBaller91

Awards

I'm incredibly intrested in this lol

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
For me, the changing sets/reps scheme seems to allow me to progress better than the same week to week. The 1rm is more to test if you are truly building max power. If you don't care about it, feel free to just restart after the 2rm days.
Gotcha, thanks! Would you still change reps x sets on the second main exercise as well, week after week? Let's say I'm doing 7x3 on squat, how would I approach SLDL after it, hypothetically?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Gotcha, thanks! Would you still change reps x sets on the second main exercise as well, week after week? Let's say I'm doing 7x3 on squat, how would I approach SLDL after it, hypothetically?
the way I have it set, main ex. 1 has a 6 week cycle, and main ex. 2 has a 4 week cycle.

After each 12 week run, i usually swap the order of ex 1 and 2 to change the "focus" of the 1st lift/muscle

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
I was debating on the same questions when I started to make my version of PHAT. I ran it like this: upper strength/lower strength/off/push hypertrophy/pull hypertrophy/leg hypertrophy/Off.

I struggled to really have this program dialed in for a while. Through trial and error and looking at other reputable programs I came up with this scheme for my main lifts.

Week 1 5x7
Week 2 5x5
Week 3 3x5
Week 4 2x3 and 1x2 only week I would "pyramid"
Week 5 Top set PR 1x2 I chose to use a double instead of a max because it was less taxing and allowed me go longer before deloading.

I would then bump up the weights 5 pounds and then repeat. I did this for around two years only stalling every now and then and when I did a deload reignited progress.

So I found that using mostly "straight sets" was more effective than when I started using a "pyramiding" fahsion. Also changing up rep schemes to change the amounts of volume and intensity on main lifts will help as well. If you aren't advanced enough to need to periodize your training yet linear periodization might work for you and allow you to move up faster. Just depends on how fast you can move up. If you can move up every three weeks don't let my progression scheme hold you back!