Choosing a Training Plan for College Freshman

• Thread starter Deleted member 238667
  • Start date

Deleted member 238667

Hey guys!

Before I start I just want to say I'm not looking for anyone to take an hour out of their day to help me (unless they feel extra generous) there's no need to reinvent the wheel for me.

I'm a freshman in college majoring in CS and minoring in economics starting next Monday and I really want to put on the freshman 15. (In muscle that is.) however my schedule is a bit tight to say the least.

My stats: 157 lbs. (on a good day) 6' 3"
1RMs aren't anything spectacular, but as a high school soccer player, my squat is my best lift. I've trained for a couple years now, but nothing too serious. I'd like to be around 175 by next summer but my schedule is tight as I said. I have a 1:15 break in the middle of the day on Monday Wednesday and Friday. And 1:40 on Tuesday and Thursday. There is a nice gym on campus that I have free access to.

My senior year of high school I happened to get extremely lucky and got a job with a major telecommunications company. I want to try to work as much as I can, keep my grades up, keep my girlfriend happy, and get big all at the same time.

Does anyone know of a good program I could fit in my breaks while also being able to eat lunch, and change clothes?

My biggest struggle has been my appetite. It's very small and I feel horrible if I try to force feed myself to put on weight. I've been doing somewhat of a dirty bulk as we transition into winter so I can get my body used to taking in a surplus of calories. I supplement with creatine and pre-workout. Will probably run some ArA and ABE in the fall.

Thank you all!

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Bill starr. Look him up on dem interwebz. It'll do you real good

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How long are your breaks?

Killcure666

Awards
I would recommend a modified DC workout using a full body split. The biggest stimulator of muscle growth is FREQUENCY!!

Don't fall into the error of hitting a body part once a week, do 4-5 full body workouts per week for optimal muscle stimulation.

When you work out a muscle protein synthesis occurs post workout and remains elevated for 24-48 hours. Hit every muscle group about every other day and you'll be on the path to packing on some wicked size!

Focus on compound lifts and bringing your strength up. That with a high protein healthy caloric surplus and your set

Deleted member 238667

I would recommend a modified DC workout using a full body split. The biggest stimulator of muscle growth is FREQUENCY!!

Don't fall into the error of hitting a body part once a week, do 4-5 full body workouts per week for optimal muscle stimulation.

When you work out a muscle protein synthesis occurs post workout and remains elevated for 24-48 hours. Hit every muscle group about every other day and you'll be on the path to packing on some wicked size!

Focus on compound lifts and bringing your strength up. That with a high protein healthy caloric surplus and your set
So like a push/pull/legs?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Isn't like the #1 rule of DC is its not for beginners/people that have only been casually lifting for a few years..

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Look up 5/3/1 program. Specifically the "I ain't doing jack ****" template its a quick workout to be done in the time your given. You hit your big 4 compound lifts. Plus anytime to spare you can hit your accessory exercises.

Killcure666

Awards
Isn't like the #1 rule of DC is its not for beginners/people that have only been casually lifting for a few years..
Thats a good point, my bad. Not so much like a push pull, but rather a full body split where you would hit every body part every time you work out. Here is an example of what I mean

Day 1- Squats, Pull ups, Dips, Military press, Abs
Day 2 - Off or steady state cardio
Day 3 - Deadlifts, Barbell rows, Bench press, lateral raises, Abs
Day4 - Off

Repeat while on a caloric surplus that is high in nutrients and protein and you will remain anabolic in every single muscle group 24/7! Non stop growth. As far as reps go maybe 5 x 5 would work well for a few months.

Deleted member 238667

Look up 5/3/1 program. Specifically the "I ain't doing jack ****" template its a quick workout to be done in the time your given. You hit your big 4 compound lifts. Plus anytime to spare you can hit your accessory exercises.
I thought this was a sarcastic insult until I actually looked it up lol

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Haha no worries. There's a lot of funny names for Jim Wendlers program. One of my faves "Boring But Big"

Deleted member 238667

Haha no worries. There's a lot of funny names for Jim Wendlers program. One of my faves "Boring But Big"
I think I'm going to do 5/3/1, not sure which template yet, I'll probably do some assistance work if i have the time.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Sweet man. Post a log it would be cool to see your progress!

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
That's not a bad idea! I need to figure out how to accurately test my maxes now.
I don't know if you know about the estimated max equation? But try this if you don't have your true max.

Example: Squat. You 8 reps at 315.

You take 315 multiply by .0333 times the number of reps (8) then add 315 which would give you an estimated max of 398.91.

Your choice if you want to round up or down.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Push/pull/legs for strength and size IMO for some who hasn't trained serious, DC would be too taxing and the 2g of protein per lb of body weight would be taxing if you don't like forcing food haha
PPL split:
Legs strength
Push strength
Pull strength
Off
Legs hypertrophy
Push hypertrophy
Pull hypertrophy
Repeat
Now on your heavy days concentrate mainly on heavy compound lifts 4x3 or 5x5 but heavy as you can go! Hypertrophy 8-12, then when you get a bit more experienced you can add drop sets, super sets, intra set stretching ect :)

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Starting Strength and Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 would be great places to start

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
If you can still get progress with a program like starting strength that would be first on the list no doubt. I would at least try it out and see if your lifts can progress. If they can then run it as long as you can and until you get too advanced to progress that quickly. The reason why starting strength is always recommended to beginners is because you learn how to do the main lifts correctly AND you progress the fastest.

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Imo for your time I would look at strong lifts. Download the app on your phone. It's a simple 5x5 routine. I promise if you follow it you will get stronger. You will get stronger with each of the aforementioned routines as well but this is a simple 3 lifts a day 3 days a week. I personally really liked it and I added good numbers to my overall lifts on it.

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
Imo for your time I would look at strong lifts. Download the app on your phone. It's a simple 5x5 routine. I promise if you follow it you will get stronger. You will get stronger with each of the aforementioned routines as well but this is a simple 3 lifts a day 3 days a week. I personally really liked it and I added good numbers to my overall lifts on it.
I second this its the tits sets you up on form and the core lifts gets your numbers up, fantastic program.

enraged_chris

Awards
This guy is a rote beginner. The first response had it right... all he needs is a basic barbell program. Come back in 6 months to a year when it's time to move onto something more advanced.