Switching workout schedule to mornings (fasted)

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Doing this to have more time with family at night and be able to fall asleep without bein all hyped up from my pre workout drinks

Just started this morning with a pre workout and bcaas
Felt good but definitely sweating more and heart was racing more
Only bad thing is I had no appetite most of day
I had my shake when I got to work but could not have breakfast I had an 8 ounce steak and sweet potatoe fries for lunch with some broccoli and some protein in the afternoon

Anyone experience the no appetite or naseua from morning workouts?

I'm sure I will adjust eventually just hopefully don't experience any muscle loss
But with doing a full body routine this might I figure I might be ok since I am not hammering away at one muscle group for an hour like I use to on s split

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get up at 3 am and lift fasted. I don't get nauseous but may have when I first started doing it. Also I'm starving afterwards. Both these things should go away in time.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I do the same thing as well and have for a long time for family reasons. I try to get up at 5:15- 5:30. Sometimes with late evenings I don't get up until 6 and have maybe a half hour or so for my session. I am starving afterwards. Also, I feel, and it may be a little bro-sciency, that your body puts the days cals to better use when you go in the morn

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm an early am as well, all done by 645. I eat a banana before I go but that's it besides PWO drink. I definitely have to have my post workout shake right after. I also find I'm more hungry throughout the day than I was working out later

bdavid

bdavid

Awards
I get up at 0320, pound a quest bar for some protein and carbs then take my pre workout and get to the gym around 4am. The nausea could be from taking pre workout on an empty stomach, I'd recommend having a little something at least to coat your stomach before chuggin the pre. Never had hunger issues during the day, I feel like my metabolism is in hyper drive when I work out in the mornings and am able to eat a lot more. Then it slows down in the evenings which is good.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Yeah might have just been from the pre workout. I made it strong too, and must have hit me hard on an empty stomach , usually at night I barely felt anything from them. Will see tomorrow now

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5:30/6:00 AM'er here. Fasted and use BCAA/PWO as well. Try less PWO as they can hit harder in an empty stomach/GI tract. This is probably the reason for the nausea and not feeling hungry.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
5:30/6:00 AM'er here. Fasted and use BCAA/PWO as well. Try less PWO as they can hit harder in an empty stomach/GI tract. This is probably the reason for the nausea and not feeling hungry.
Yeah gonna have to try cause this is crazy
Non workout day today so just did the bcaa this morning ( mine has caffeine in it too yet) still feel off today too now , which is crazy cause I use to drink strong coffee in the mornings with no problems

I have also been taking diesel test dtp3 too 2nd week taking it but not first thing in morning before too
So looks like some trial and error everyday this week it will be

4evafit

4evafit

Awards
  • Established
I tried doing this. It was really really hard. Couldn't do it.

Gerard_1987

Awards
I also train it the early mornings, but never fasted.
Before:
- protein + maxy way
After:
- oatmeal + protein
- vitimanins etc

Why do you wanna lift on an empty stomach?

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
I also train it the early mornings, but never fasted.
Before:
- protein + maxy way
After:
- oatmeal + protein
- vitimanins etc

Why do you wanna lift on an empty stomach?
I guess I like or did like the idea of my pre workout getting absorbed right away. Don't really have enough time to eat then wait then take pre workout then wait for it to kick in

When I worked out at night my last meal was usually around 2pm then drank my pre workout at 5 then didn't workout till 6 and my brain would not want to sleep yet by 10. But I also never got a chance to settle down and unwind for the night cause once my workouts were over I'm attacked by my 5 year old and 1 year old pit that want all my attention. Also a big reason for the time of workout change

Stims never messed with me before but maybe also because I ate late dinners before and now I eat dinner early so my stomach is probably more empty in mornings now

Plus I also figured I would burn a little more body fat but spare muscle with the bcaas

Trial and error

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
I train at 0300 when at work and 0430 when at home so i can get it all done before the kids get up. It can be hard to get used to at the start but i found it only took about a week and i was all good. Sometimes i will mix in some whey with my pwo and i will either drink bcaa or a protein shake while training. Then as soon as I'm done ill have rice flakes and protein.

Gerard_1987

Awards
I'm working out in the morning for just a year now. But still not totally satisfied with my nutritiuon around it. Anybody good ideas?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I workout early AM as well.. always fasted.

I actually only eat in the evenings as well so my day is entirely fasted, just bcaa's.

If you can't eat, its not a big deal at all. I've built more and had the best overall body comp of my life working out before 7am, and not eating until 5-7pm at the earliest. Bcaa's + pre before my workout, bcaas every 4hrs or so until dinner time. All gains, no issues.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Just keep at it man. It isn't as hard as it seems or is being made out to be. Let your body adapt and reap the benefits of your extra family time

Rikrodgers

Rikrodgers

Awards

I actually only eat in the evenings as well so my day is entirely fasted, just bcaa's.

If you can't eat, its not a big deal at all. I've built more and had the best overall body comp of my life working out before 7am, and not eating until 5-7pm at the earliest. Bcaa's + pre before my workout, bcaas every 4hrs or so until dinner time. All gains, no issues.
^This^

Pretty much do exactly the same, although I do eat a little earlier generally. I don't get any muscle wastage, and the fat loss benefits are awesome too. Plus, I smash a good, hefty dose of my favourite pre-w/o and enjoy the ride!

dactyl

dactyl

Awards

Nice

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Just keep at it man. It isn't as hard as it seems or is being made out to be. Let your body adapt and reap the benefits of your extra family time
That's the plan
The body has no choice but to adapt I suppose

deepseajs

deepseajs

Awards
  • Established
Yeah might have just been from the pre workout. I made it strong too, and must have hit me hard on an empty stomach , usually at night I barely felt anything from them. Will see tomorrow now
Certain PWOs made me nauseous when I first started lifting fasted. Start with like a half scoop and ease into it. My body adjusted after a couple weeks and now I can't lift any other way. Love lifting fasted.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Certain PWOs made me nauseous when I first started lifting fasted. Start with like a half scoop and ease into it. My body adjusted after a couple weeks and now I can't lift any other way. Love lifting fasted.
Yeah I did that yesterday and wasn't too bad
I ate pretty good
Had my shake about 1 hour or so later
Carbs and protein 88c 44p
About 2 hours after that had my
Steak and rice
2-3 hours after that had my
Chicken and rice
Then was good till dinner around 6 pm

I think after 2 weeks I should be better and back to full servings of pwo and be good

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yeah I did that yesterday and wasn't too bad
I ate pretty good
Had my shake about 1 hour or so later
Carbs and protein 88c 44p
About 2 hours after that had my
Steak and rice
2-3 hours after that had my
Chicken and rice
Then was good till dinner around 6 pm

I think after 2 weeks I should be better and back to full servings of pwo and be good
Enjoy the days of low doses haha! save that money!

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Feel good today
Only had half bcaa with caffeine pwo
Along with white pipes non stimulated and 1/2 scoop size on intra workout and 2 DTP v3s
Now havin my post workout shake at work and best I felt after a workout all week

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've trained morning fasted for years and nothing has had more of an impact to fat loss and muscle retention. I follow IF and while not for everyone, could not be more of a perfect diet, IMO.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
I've trained morning fasted for years and nothing has had more of an impact to fat loss and muscle retention. I follow IF and while not for everyone, could not be more of a perfect diet, IMO.
Good to know , what kind of routine you do on IF ? Volume, sets, reps

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's irrelevant of routine, I follow it year round and typically switch between DC/RP, PHAT, and OLAD depending on how I feel.

Gerard_1987

Awards
Can you please elloborate a little bit more on IF? What is it and how does it work?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

GusWoltmann

Awards
I workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. The only time I've ever noticed any nausea is when I tried a SUPER stim heavy pre workout. I tried food the next time and still felt nauseous. Chalked it up to the pre-wo.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
I workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. The only time I've ever noticed any nausea is when I tried a SUPER stim heavy pre workout. I tried food the next time and still felt nauseous. Chalked it up to the pre-wo.
Hear that , I'm gettin better at it now
I guess it's kind of forcing me to interment fast now in a sense . Freaks me out a bit still not eating or having a shake right away. I do sip on some bcaas either after it intra workout but still.
Now I'm just tryin to dial in the macros and meals for the day.
Now I at least know I think the 10 and up rep ranges i been doing for the past few years just disguised my extra fat making me think I gained more muscle . Now it's time to scale back and progress each week till I can't no more on everything.

GusWoltmann

Awards
Hear that , I'm gettin better at it now
I guess it's kind of forcing me to interment fast now in a sense . Freaks me out a bit still not eating or having a shake right away. I do sip on some bcaas either after it intra workout but still.
Now I'm just tryin to dial in the macros and meals for the day.
Now I at least know I think the 10 and up rep ranges i been doing for the past few years just disguised my extra fat making me think I gained more muscle . Now it's time to scale back and progress each week till I can't no more on everything.
Sounds like you're going in the right direction. Hard work and perseverance will definitely get you there.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Thanks , yeah I think I spend way too much time and stress trying to figure this stuff out and plan it at times .
Just gets aggravating trying to pin point where and when you went wrong with diet and or training and feel like you have to start over after so many years

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've never been able to effectively lift in the AM, but have done a ton of Fasted cardio, and can tell you that my appetite after is ravenous. Ive even considered keeping the fasted cardio during bulking for this reason, it has always stimulated my metabolism. I think its just making the initial adjustment and you'll be fine. I personally prefer to have a couples meals in me at least before I hit the weights.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Yeah definitely a few meals is preferred for me as well. But I am adjusting pretty well now , i take it day by day, I think my body basically tells me what I need on a sense some days, if I don't feel right sometimes just a few sips of somethin with sugar or some gummy bears or somethin helps with nausea at times , as much as we try to avoid sugar , some days your body just needs a little bit

Only problem lately is how tired I am through the day , when I worked out nights I didn't sleep good probably do to my pre workouts , now I get better sleep but feel so drained later in the day now

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Yeah definitely a few meals is preferred for me as well. But I am adjusting pretty well now , i take it day by day, I think my body basically tells me what I need on a sense some days, if I don't feel right sometimes just a few sips of somethin with sugar or some gummy bears or somethin helps with nausea at times , as much as we try to avoid sugar , some days your body just needs a little bit

Only problem lately is how tired I am through the day , when I worked out nights I didn't sleep good probably do to my pre workouts , now I get better sleep but feel so drained later in the day now
Caffeine saves me in the middle of the day

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Hear that , bout to get my Colombian coffee in right now

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Doing this to have more time with family at night and be able to fall asleep without bein all hyped up from my pre workout drinks

Just started this morning with a pre workout and bcaas
Felt good but definitely sweating more and heart was racing more
Only bad thing is I had no appetite most of day
I had my shake when I got to work but could not have breakfast I had an 8 ounce steak and sweet potatoe fries for lunch with some broccoli and some protein in the afternoon

Anyone experience the no appetite or naseua from morning workouts?

I'm sure I will adjust eventually just hopefully don't experience any muscle loss
But with doing a full body routine this might I figure I might be ok since I am not hammering away at one muscle group for an hour like I use to on s split
You will adjust before long (if you haven't already) and your appetite will come back I am sure of it.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Adjusting now in third week I feel pretty good
Outstanding! It will definitely be very rewarding once you are use to the process

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I much rather workout in the morning fasted than any other time. When I go in to work at 630 I make sure I'm in the gym around 515. I actually can not work out with food in my belly any more. I get nauseous and sick every time. I try to plan my workouts in the afternoons (when that happens) around my lunch so I'll be hungry. For some reason I feel it takes longer for my pwo to kick in in the mornings. A good solid half hour before I feel something. Later in the day it's within 10 minutes. Lately I've been working out around 9 so at about 630 I've been drinking a whey/casein shake so I'm not passing out when I leave.