Leg press question

jeffdog

Awards
so is it just as good to use one leg on the leg press as two? i mean is there any difference?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, they will both increase chances for back injuries the same.

I kid, but the main difference is going to be working any weakness or imbalances you may have with one leg.

jeffdog

Awards

I kid, but the main difference is going to be working any weakness or imbalances you may have with one leg.
thanks bro!...i think the other difference is you dont have to load and unload 9 million plates if you do it one leg style!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah that would be another difference. However single leg you tend to get a better contraction, and work stabilizers much harder as well as avoiding, or correcting imbalances that can be created from a dominant leg overpowering the other in a two leg lift.

Just consider re-racking the weights as active rest. Movement is good during a workout. :)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah that would be another difference. However single leg you tend to get a better contraction, and work stabilizers much harder as well as avoiding, or correcting imbalances that can be created from a dominant leg overpowering the other in a two leg lift.

Just consider re-racking the weights as active rest. Movement is good during a workout. :)
This always got me - aren't we there to workout? Why is setting up so hard for people? haha. I've had training partners like this, they just stand around while you rack all the weights, etc. I get if you're exhausted for a moment and need a break, but to always stand there and not want to rack and unrack weights? Why are we even here? haha

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've used unilateral leg press for years now for the main reason I don't want to spend my time loading and unloading 12-14+ plates per side.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I guess I am lucky and biased since I work out in my own basement with my own leg press machine and leave a lot of the plates on the machine most of the time anyway. Normally I am moving 6-8 plates around, not 12.

jeffdog

Awards
This always got me - aren't we there to workout? Why is setting up so hard for people? haha. I've had training partners like this, they just stand around while you rack all the weights, etc. I get if you're exhausted for a moment and need a break, but to always stand there and not want to rack and unrack weights? Why are we even here? haha
man im not bragging because i know its nothing compared to what a lot of guys can do but i am up to 20 plates on the leg press and walking around this crappy, crowded gym here in Thailand trying to find plates and then trying to find places to put the plates after just kills the rhythm of my workout and is just wasted energy here where there is no AC in the gym and its always hot....i know i sound like a whiner but im really not, i just retired a year ago from an 18 year professional cycling career.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
man im not bragging because i know its nothing compared to what a lot of guys can do but i am up to 20 plates on the leg press and walking around this crappy, crowded gym here in Thailand trying to find plates and then trying to find places to put the plates after just kills the rhythm of my workout and is just wasted energy here where there is no AC in the gym and its always hot....i know i sound like a whiner but im really not, i just retired a year ago from an 18 year professional cycling career.
Yeah, thinking back I remember using the leg press in my college gym and I was doing like 1200 pounds on that machine. I remember scrounging up every 45 in the place to put on the machine and feeling like a dork because I wasn't all that big but had somewhat strong legs and I felt like everyone was probably pissed that I was using all the 45's. Some people may think you think you are strong or special or looking for attention when they see you suck up all the plates...and knowing that embarrasses me because I don't like standing out in crowds like that

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've used unilateral leg press for years now for the main reason I don't want to spend my time loading and unloading 12-14+ plates per side.
This is brilliant! I can't believe my lazy tail hasn't thought of it.

jeffdog

Awards
Yeah, thinking back I remember using the leg press in my college gym and I was doing like 1200 pounds on that machine. I remember scrounging up every 45 in the place to put on the machine and feeling like a dork because I wasn't all that big but had somewhat strong legs and I felt like everyone was probably pissed that I was using all the 45's. Some people may think you think you are strong or special or looking for attention when they see you suck up all the plates...and knowing that embarrasses me because I don't like standing out in crowds like that
dude that is me exactly--i dont look that impressive but i guess because of the cycling my legs are pretty strong-- so i feel like i am showing off or ego lifting or something but my reps are slow and deep and 8 is the fewest i do!

jeffdog

Awards
This is brilliant! I can't believe my lazy tail hasn't thought of it.
and what is even better is that for some reason even though you may be able to get 20 plates for ten with two legs, with one leg you can only do about 4 plates at the most!...thats why i started this thread--i thought i might be missing something in my reasoning!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No you can definitely crush it with one leg and probably end up with more gains and definitely better balanced legs. I agree when I am done with the leg press I am ALWAYS hoping that someone strong wants it next so I don't have to re-rack everything.

If not I will often put 2-4 of them up move on to leg extensions and go back and pull 2-4 plates off every rest period so I am not messing up my workout flow. If someone walks up to use it during that time I offer to help them strip it down to what they are going to use. It works out okay that way without completely messing up the workout flow.

I wish my gym actually had the Hammer Strength Isolateral Leg Press. I used to love that thing. I would do one leg at a time but keep constant tension on the other which allowed me to stabilize more and add more weight.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No you can definitely crush it with one leg and probably end up with more gains and definitely better balanced legs. I agree when I am done with the leg press I am ALWAYS hoping that someone strong wants it next so I don't have to re-rack everything.

If not I will often put 2-4 of them up move on to leg extensions and go back and pull 2-4 plates off every rest period so I am not messing up my workout flow. If someone walks up to use it during that time I offer to help them strip it down to what they are going to use. It works out okay that way without completely messing up the workout flow.

I wish my gym actually had the Hammer Strength Isolateral Leg Press. I used to love that thing. I would do one leg at a time but keep constant tension on the other which allowed me to stabilize more and add more weight.
Last time I did leg press this little lady came up and asked for it after me. Then she stood there and waited. Then when finished I asked how many plates she wanted... she goes a 25 on each side. I almost died lol. I had about 12 45s on each side... smfh

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Last time I did leg press this little lady came up and asked for it after me. Then she stood there and waited. Then when finished I asked how many plates she wanted... she goes a 25 on each side. I almost died lol. I had about 12 45s on each side... smfh
Yeah that was no help at all.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Twice I've gotten outside coaching for my training. The one wanted me to do 20-30 reps per set, the other 30-50. Never had to mess around loading and unloading, Getting up out of the chair was bad enough. These days I don't leg press or ask for others' input, lol. Subconscious aversion? Overt aversion? I'm not sure.

jeffdog

Awards
Twice I've gotten outside coaching for my training. The one wanted me to do 20-30 reps per set, the other 30-50. Never had to mess around loading and unloading, Getting up out of the chair was bad enough. These days I don't leg press or ask for others' input, lol. Subconscious aversion? Overt aversion? I'm not sure.
"smart" possibly??? ...good stuff!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards

This is really about it.

I think unless someone has a very clear muscle imbalance or for whatever reason cannot leg press with both legs that people should always leg press with both legs.

Heavier load, more stimulus, typically better growth/results.